Experience rate, Coirnav vs. Selos?

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by nodontcarekkthxbye, Mar 17, 2019.

1. nodontcarekkthxbye Augur

Anyone know an approximation?
  2. HoodenShuklak Augur

Selo definitely feels fast. You just keep thinking man this is flying by.

Coirnav has you wondering that it can't be this bad the whole time.
  3. Protagonist Tank

They rarely give actual numbers. Here's the chain of info you have given, extract from it what you will:

CV is 66% of Agnarr. Agnarr is "a bit slower" than Mangler. Selo is double Manger.
  4. RolePlayith Journeyman

here are actual number I took earlier today. here's how to check out my numbers:
    1) Roll a level 1 wood elf rogue in gfay
    2) Do not turn in your scroll, do nothing but immediately head to the newbie area
    3) Kill 4 "white", even con mobs. Note the final XP, divide by 4.
    This took about 15 minutes.

Server
    Era
    Even Con XP @L1 (50% Bonus Season)
    Relative (Coirnav)
    Coirnav PoP
    Agnarr LDoN
    Selo Luclin
    Mangler Classic
    Drinal Live
    Firiona Vie Live
    Phinigel Seed of Destruction

The one concern I have is that there is a widespread theory of "experience saturation", i.e. the concept that there is a hard limit imposed on the amount of experience you can get from one kill, no matter how high the con. I believe the theory is real, although a) it seems wrong to ever be near it for even cons, b) I do not have any data, just anecdotes from levelling on coirnav getting PL'd by +10 mobs.

My conclusions are:
    1) Selo XP is about 1/2 what it should be. It progresses at 3x the rate of coirnav, so should absolutely be at least 3x the xp, but is not. Further, with 2x the lockouts, leaving 1 night for grown-ups to XP, the XP rate should be 6x Coirnav. My own playing there suggests the XP is probably going to kill that server. The hard-core types might tough it out as long as there's competition and an ePeen to measure, but the majority of us aren't going to find that interesting.

2) Mangler XP is going to feel better than Coirnav, however as it is a classic start, people are going to be bitten by some brain-dead design decisions as players reach level 42 (in classic), and 55 (kunark until PoP). There are precious few white/yellow/red (non-raid) mobs above those levels in their respective eras and they are always fought over camps. This forces the majority of players to be fighting dark-blue mobs. At some point, I don't know when, dark blue xp was nerfed to oblivion, and thus these long, painful levels are going to burn people out. This was made worse when ZEMs in The Hole, Lower Guk and especially Old Seb were nerfed (last year, prior to Coirnav launch). On Coirnav, at level 55, it takes about 5 dark blues in OC/IC to get 1% XP (without bonus, or pots). That means 500 mobs to level. Ouch. On manger, that's still 250 mobs. That's a lot of grinding and eyes bleeding boredom. It should be more like 50 (because 5 more levels, right?)

The smart choice is to skip Mangler until PoP. But then of course there will be a new server.

The other pain point that might make people quit early is the level 1-10 experience. It's far too slow, particularly when classes do not have all their abilities and are not very interesting yet. In most games these levels are practically hand-outs, with the emphasis being on teaching you new abilities as you level, rather than forcing that grind in your face up front. I even believe EQ launched closer to this originally, level 1-5 feel especially painful, but I recall them being a breeze even in the bad old days. I don't understand this choice either.
    a_librarian likes this.
  5. Machentoo Augur

This is not, never has been, and probably never will be how they determine xp rates.
  6. RainbowTest Augur

If they put anymore exp into selo I'd be dinging off one red kill. The exp is crazy fast and the named spawning more often is wicked lucrative. It feels like the PH's are the rare spawns now.
  7. Zinkeh Augur

Mangler doesn't feel particularly fast, even when compared to Agnarr. It's kinda weird actually. It's supposedly faster exp than Agnarr which for the most part felt fine yet even with 50% exp right now even going from lvl 9 to 10 felt really grindy.

Agreed about the Dark blue exp though: there's something really wrong there. Can kill 10 random orcs that are very much DB and barely even notice a % moving yet get into a group and kill 2 yellows and the bar jumps.

Selos woulda been perfect but that month unlock thing is a killer.
  8. AgentofChange Augur

The Selo xp rate is currently reasonable, but only because of the 50% xp bonus. When that bonus is removed, the xp rate will be a little low for a server that is progressing so quickly. Hopefully they can amend the xp rate before the bonus is lifted, or else I think a lot of people are going to feel overwhelmed on Selo and just pack it in.
  9. Nolrog Augur

10. Dailor Augur

69% and 420% respectively.
  11. Fumi-chan Augur

Coirnav got to experience the ZEM flattening which I don't believe Agnarr had. As many during Coirnav pointed out, XP rates seemed significantly weaker with the changes to ZEM.
  12. Xanathol Augur

Something doesn't appear to be adding up re: XP. For me, a white or yellow both result in 2% XP into level. Given there is an XP bonus right now for the anniversary, this feels low (least for a yellow con).
  13. RolePlayith Journeyman

Please specify which server and what level you are, in which zone. These factors I believe are all that remains that affects xp. I might experiment if I have time tonight.

The other word of caution is do not use a single kill as a reference point because the XP bar only gives you integer results. In order to see the slight variation between Agnarr and Mangler, for example, you may have to kill 10 mobs, record the starting #, record the ending #, (end-start)/10, should give you enough precision to see the difference. If yellow is only worth 25% more than white con, you would not see this on one kill.

The saturation issue I mentioned above may be real, again taking the measurement as I indicate above should give you an idea. I don't feel good about exploring this theory at level 1, there may be arbitrary reasons they've decided to cap xp at low levels. But at level 40, if a white is giving the same xp as yellow, I'd call that broken. Particularly when a dark blue is giving a tiny fraction.
  14. Xanathol Augur

Right now, 13 in SRo on crocs. Definitely over many mobs.I personally think you are right re: saturation.
  15. Darchon_Xegony Augur

EXP rates on TLP servers need to scale based on the time in each expansion and the number of AAs each expansion has.

The EXP rate should probably be some function of duration in expansion, average number of AAs unlocked in the expansion, and average base EXP rate for killing an average mob in the expansion.

Doing Selos having 1 month in the later EQ expansions that each unlock thousands of AAs is going to be rough. Even on the other TLPs having 3 months for the later expansions will be tough to stay current with.
  16. ShivanAngel Augur

with a 25% exp potion running up until like 44 my group was doing sub 30 minute levels.

(without a charmed pet)

(Selo's)

It is starting to slow down a little bit but 40-45ish has always been historically annoying.

Will get back now that my group has a plan for 44+ that should bring back the sub 30 minutes levels.
  17. ShivanAngel Augur

I dont think Selo's should be any faster then it is atm.

Doing sub 30 minutes levels, without a charm pet, at 40+ is insanity. from like 1-35 we were doing 18-22 minute levels, without a charm pet.

Granted we have a 50% bonus going right now, so theres that to consider, but still, the exp is nuts.
  18. Machentoo Augur

So it slows down a fair amount in the upper 40's and 50's. But really, how many days out of the ~45 we are going to spend in Luclin do you think people should need to spend xping to hit max level? Considering that's just the start of the game, you have farming a hundered or so aa's, farming keys/flagging, and raiding for gear after you hit 60...
  19. vylo Augur

Rough estimates is that mangle is ~1.5 Agnarr, selo being double is ~3X agnarr. Agnarr was about 25% of live exp based on live players who were playing with me at the time. Coirnav was 1.5x classic, and much slower than agnarr. the 66% number thrown out cannot be correct, coirnav was at least half the speed of agnarr if not less.

Selo is looking to be somewhere in the range of 6-8X coirnav. On coirnav, the first day I hit lvl 15 at the end of my first run, selo, I was lvl 33, and I believe I had a significant shorter play period due to the launch delay.
  20. Nolrog Augur

LOL.
    Nessirfiti likes this.
  21. HoodenShuklak Augur

what zones?