Added tabs to chat windows, but why ?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Cokkie, Mar 13, 2019.

1. Cokkie New Member

2016/03/13 Patch note "Added tabs to chat windows"
    WHY ?
    It take more visual place on every chat windows for nothing. If we really want to hide a window, we can just reduce one and put all the filters we do not want to see.

There is ONE good reason ?
  2. Dythan Ban Lev in Plane of Fire guy

There are 3.
  3. Tatanka Joe Schmo

LOL, OP starts new thread about chat tabs.

Doesn't want to add comment to existing thread about chat tabs.

Seems ironic ;)
  4. Nennius Curmudgeon

Perhaps each new thread about chat tabs could auto morph into three. Just got home and I will reserve judgement until I try them.
  5. Ssdar Augur

Clearly we need tabbed threads about tabbed chat.
    Barton, gotwar, Tatanka and 2 others like this.
  6. Leigo You come here often?

haha so many threads about this
  7. code-zero Augur

This ranks with labeling servers ultra-casual and hard-core as far as inspiring forum activity
  8. Tatanka Joe Schmo

4. Keep it, it's great
    Aurastrider likes this.
  9. Aurastrider Augur

I have not played around much with them but I love the whole idea behind them. For starters all of my battle spam was going to one window and things like melee and spell crits were just filtered in with them because I did not want another box. I created a tab specifically for crits so I can see in real time without having to go to gameparse and see things. As time goes on I imagine I will create more tabs filtering information that I want to see in real time as well. Overall I am happy with the new system and will have to vote #4 as well. This is turning out like the #GiveMeMyPotionBeltBack threads from last year except there were way more people complaining about that change and guess what.... Your vote wont matter in the end. Best case they add an in game option to alter the window but reverting the changes back to the old way is not going to happen.
    Tatanka likes this.
  10. PathToEternity pathtoeternity.pro

I have only just started to play with it, but I think the limitations of filtering will probably make them not as useful as I would hope.
  11. Lagerale Journeyman

you probably like tofu, yellow snow and cold toilet seats too. :p
  12. Cokkie New Member

There is any ways to remove this .... ? (sorry i am not allowed to say use shi t word)
  13. Cokkie New Member

Ok, if we edit EQUI_ChatContainerWindow.xml and change <Style_Titlebar>true</Style_Titlebar> to <Style_Titlebar>false</Style_Titlebar>, it remove the top of old chat window.
    But not the Tab, so at this day, we do not have any options to remove tabs.

PS : After days of research i finally foundsomething on eqinterface.com
    https://www.eqinterface.com/downloads/fileinfo.php?id=6770
    [IMG]

Now, the question "Where is the option in EQ to completely hide the tabs ?"
    Xanathol likes this.
  14. Ambition Apprentice

People lurvs to complain and comment leigo my ego. They also like to start threads so people focus on them, and don't care about creating repeating threads.
  15. Cokkie New Member

We just ask for an option to use it or not.

If there is many posts who are started at almost same time, may be there is reasons. If only 1 topic is created, this just one more on many. I agree, it will be more readable for the forum admins if there is only 1 thread about the tabs WITH a solution.

Atm, EQ do not give us any option to use them or not, just "use new tabs and do with it !".

We just do not understand why hide some chat windows with tabs. we need to display all our chat windows to fast check them all when we need. If we want to hide one, we ever can reduce it and the window will not perma blink. The goal of tabs option is to have only 1 big chat window with blinking tabs every time there is a change in a chat window ? So you have to click on grp tab when it is blinking, on raid tab when it is blinking, etc...
    New tabs take 2-3 chat lines on every windows, so the result is to reduce our actual chat windows. To keep our chat "readable", we may resize up all of them and completely rebuild our UI.

All we ask is to get the option to use this, without the feeling to have someone who is introducing 20 inches somewhere.
  16. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

Create a new Char and you are forced to use tabs!

We need somewhere to turn this off before char creation. Copying a layout from an older char doesn't untab the chats Daybreak has forced on that char. :mad:
  17. xcitng Augur

I just keep hoping for a gm to tell us that they will be giving us the option to opt out of using these new chat/tell widows.
    Yinla likes this.
  18. JolineSZ Augur

I just removed the titlebar from the xml and then named the chat windows space space so the name disappears and removed all borders etc and hide the upper section behind another window, so my chats look like the did before, clean and straight etc.
  19. Tappin Augur

The EQ UI has been a mess for years. Any improvements is greatly appreciated and needed. Tabbed chat windows is something that most modern MMOs have and helps minimize the clutter on the screen.

The majority of bugs involving the new tabs involves the filter system and was present PRIOR to the updated.

The issue that everyone, here on this forum, is complaining about is they get less chat per same size window. There isn't a several ways to mitigate this, change the font/size for example, but I do not see this as an issue that ends EQ.

People need to grow up and find better things to complain about.
  20. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

I dislike being forced to use something I don't want to. My layout was fine as it was.

They need to fix that copying a layout untabs chat boxes that they have forced to be tabbed. Don't know what I'm talking about try making a new char and getting it set up the way all your other chars are.