Tabbed Chat FAQ

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Ssdar, Mar 13, 2019.

1. Misaligned Augur

I do not like these tabs or changes. Please give us an option to disable this.
    Sumonerr_Tunare and Orzulth like this.
  2. Creative Sparks Quiet One

Personally i like the idea of Tabs, just not the way they are currently.

if they made the window's start off With Out tabs then if ya wanted to condense some of the clutter by creating a tab into that chat box would be perfect this way it doesn't mess with viewing space or Chatting unless you have added a Tab into that box.

so in my situation (With my Custom UI) it would condense the 6 chatbox spots down to 4 spots but still allow me to View the information when i wanted to.
  3. Ssdar Augur

hmm, I haven't seen this happen with that setting disabled. Is this for tell windows or a regular chat window? Are you sure you selected the correct tab when you disabled it?
  4. Smokezz The Bane Crew

I see why... not intuitive! You can't just right click on the tab to change it. You have to actually SELECT the tab, then right click on it and turn off Highlight New Messages. Otherwise, you're just changing it for the tab you're actually looking at.
  5. Orzulth Journeyman

Whichever developer decided this was necessary needs to be fired. Whichever developer decided it was important enough to not let people toggle this off needs to be fired and flogged.

This is the worst "feature" I've ever seen...
    Xanathol, Lagerale and Metanis like this.
  6. Creative Sparks Quiet One

this commentary of a new feature is really not needed

its a NEW feature. of course its gonna have issues like anything else that comes out NEW. there will be bugs and there will be changes. just because the foresight of what others want and don't want wasn't thought head of time doesn't mean its not a good idea. also if you don't like it just say you don't like it, doesn't mean that someone should be Fired or Flogged(whipped) over it.

Sheesh people now a days are so petty over small things. if people where like this when every new idea came out of someone's mouth we would still be in the stone age.

i personally like the idea of having Tab Chat window it will reduce the clutter on my screen, and im sure there are other's that feel the same way.
    but like i said in an earlier post

*Make Single window's Tab less (like old Default window) but once u add a Tab it will make change accordingly. i believe this will Solve most issues for a Majority of people.
    Nolrog likes this.
  7. Kywen Augur

If Orzulth is indicating that this is one of the worst things they've ever come up with, then Orzulth is correct. Every chat window has now lost two lines of text due to this and has to be enlarged, as if the EQ UI wasn't cluttered enough. I have six chat windows and other people have even more. Maybe they should force the game to 640x480 in the next patch, while they're at it!
    Orzulth, Lagerale and Metanis like this.
  8. Ssdar Augur

Please keep this thread on topic. This post is for information and assistance working with the chat windows as they are this patch.

You can add your complaints to one of the other 5 threads people have started to express their dislike for the new chat windows.
    Creative Sparks and Nightmares like this.
  9. Kywen Augur

There are more than five!
  10. Smokezz The Bane Crew

Thanks for the FAQ, and the answer to my question Ssdar. Fixed the problem I had, as well as got the quick UI mod I needed. Makes the chat tabs perfect and awesome. :)
    Ssdar likes this.
  11. Febb Augur

Calling for people to be fired is against the forum rules. And it's just down right childish. Learn to give some constructive criticism next time.
    Nolrog likes this.
  12. Trotts Journeyman

Jesus man what are you 12? You would FIRE someone for this? Get a grip.

I like the feature honestly, and since this thread is this small I have to assume MOST people do as well. The fact is all people hate change on some level.
  13. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

Hate it with a passion! Not quite as much as losing the potion belt.But I HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE the changes.

Worse thing is for me is I now have to log in to multi chars and adjust each one. Why the hell did they turn on everyones tell windows? Mine has always been off since I started playing over 18 years ago, why now do I need go and turn it off manually for every char I play? Not to mention the fading of chat windows when it is set to permanantly be solid 100% of the time. :rolleyes:

I wasted all of last night getting it set up as it was before the patch on my main and I now have a shed load of chars I need to do the same thing with.

And to top it all off Avast has decided EQgame.exe is a threat! :rolleyes:
    Lagerale likes this.
  14. Darchon_Xegony Augur

After spending about 5 minutes fixing my custom UI, removing the names from the chat boxes and another 5 minutes finding out from guildmates how to disable the blinking and turn off tell windows, I spent about 30 minutes setting up all my tabs and I personally am a big fan of the change.

It does have me wishing for the filters to become even more granular though.

Spell Worn Off - Can you make two versions? Beneficial and Detrimental? There are a lot of short term buff abilities that classes get as they level up and get more AAs, I don’t really care about these ending too much. Detrimental spells on the other hand it would be very nice to have the ability to only see when crucial Debuffs, DoTs and CC spells wear off.

Consider - Make this it’s own filter. Separate it out from “Other”. I find this is a lot more useful now that mob level is listed in cons, and it would be nice to have it separate from Other.

Critical Hits/Heals - I think these are still options for filtering in chat windows. With the recent messaging chances these are obsolete now? I think there are a few other obsolete ones like player Flurry and a few others?

Winning Rolls - It seems the winner of a roll isn’t filtered under the Randoms category, perhaps a filter under Randoms for Winner? Currently I think there’s My Rolls, Group Rolls, Raid Rolls? Also a filter for “No one wants this it’s left on corpse?” Type messages?

Looting Items - I believe loot is still filtered under “Other”. If loot could be filtered under one similar to Randoms. My Loot, Group Loot, Raid Loot?

I figure... if you’re going to make such a massive change to the UI a few more filter changes to amplify this change would be neat. I am sure there are many filters that need to be looked at. Basically anything flagged as “Other” probably could use some review. Other in general, Other spells, etc.
    Ssdar, Fanra and Raytan like this.
  15. Raytan Augur

I agree. Haven't had the chance to play a lot with the tabs, but so far I really like them. I can also see filtering things to a tab that I wouldn't have made a new chat window for. :)
  16. Fanra https://everquest.fanra.info

What they need are more options to remove the new stuff. We need a way to disable the titles per window, rather than have to use a custom UI mod which removes them for all chat windows. As well as a way to remove the text entry area (at the bottom) from chat windows we will never type into.

When you make a change to long-standing UIs, you don't enable them by default. Because there are people who have been using this for years and now you have confused and annoyed them. All new changes should require active action by the user to activate. Nothing should blink by default. It should be an option that must be enabled.
    Orzulth, Xanathol, Metanis and 3 others like this.
  17. Trotts Journeyman

Does anyone know if there is a way to make the new tells just auto create a TAB in your main chat window? It's spawning a new chat window underneath my main chat instead, do I just have to dedicate a chat window to tells now?
  18. gotwar Gotcharms

[IMG]

Default UI with tabbed chat and no XML edits.

You still keep the somewhat weird title bar, but if you just enter a blank space for the window title, it won't double up on window names.

Seems great to me. Killed two spam windows (melee & spells). Being able to remove the title bar entirely in-game would be a great quality-of-life feature, but for a first patch I'm happy.

Just be sure to turn off "blink active window" and "use active tell window" if you don't want those things on, as they are enabled by default.

[IMG]
    Ssdar and NameAlreadyInUse like this.
  19. xcitng Augur

I do NOT like these new chat/tell windows at all, what is the reason for them? Can we disable them? Can we disable the yellow text in them? If not, PLEASE make it so we can.
  20. Smokezz The Bane Crew

I've been wishing for the ability to make our own filters for a long time now. To be able to set up a filter to even discard something completely if it matches. To dream...
    bbanz likes this.