What do you think about this alteration to the future chat window?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by getlostgreg, Mar 12, 2019.

1. getlostgreg Lorekeeper

As you may know Adam Schmidt tweeted out this picture of a new chat window being developed.

[IMG]

And I'm of the mind that it would be better without the title bar above the tabs. What do you think?

[IMG]
    Pani, Boze and snailish like this.
  2. snailish Augur

A toggle in the UI "headers off" would be nice.

But OP makes a good point... the tab is called main chat after all. --unless any chat window is going to be tabbed now?
    Pani and getlostgreg like this.
  3. Derresh Augur

Im assuming the header is there so you can have multiple chat windows each with multiple chat tabs.
  4. Leigo You come here often?

[IMG]
    while they headers are there, they are not "required" to send a tab to another window.
    snailish and Gyurika Godofwar like this.
  5. getlostgreg Lorekeeper

What it might look like with a single tab:

[IMG]

EDIT:

This is a single tab the way they currently have it with the header:

[IMG]

Just seems like wasted space to me.
    Boze likes this.
  6. Derresh Augur

Personally I like the way they have it with the header, but that's just like my opinion man.
    getlostgreg likes this.
  7. Beimeith Lord of the Game

You can remove the titlebar and the window border already. It requires modding the UI like so:
    [IMG]
    Wulfhere, snailish, Neodraykl and 3 others like this.
  8. getlostgreg Lorekeeper

You are the man. Thanks.
  9. Tatanka Joe Schmo

While you're not wrong, for me it's a pittance. If you lose one chat window that you have up now, then you're gaining way more screen space than what you're losing with the extra header.

I'll likely go from 4 chat windows to 2, gaining back space from deleting the one, and spreading the other two out across to match the width of three current chat windows.
  10. MiataDriver Augur

Honestly, I prefer them the way they are now...
    Shododaan, Aanuvane, Lagerale and 2 others like this.
  11. Ssdar Augur

Barton and getlostgreg like this.
  12. Lagerale Journeyman

IMO as I see this in the screenshots.. it sucks. I don't want to tab through to see different chats I have multiple chat windows open for a reason. Not sure how this works exactly but if it works like it looks I really think it's a step backwards. Was anyone really complaining about the fact chat windows needed to be changed?
  13. Aurastrider Augur

Are we going to be limited to just one window or will there be an option to still have multiple windows? I keep guild and general chat separate and then have windows for combat spam and such. I like the direction this is going in to free up screen space because now I can hide all of that combat spam on my main chat window behind a tab instead of having it take up screen space. What I don't want is to miss a guild message because I am on the general chat tab, or miss a tell, or miss a group message. I think once I see it in action I can give some honest feedback but the idea of taking some of my screen back is one that I like. Depending on how it functions and the ability to still have multiple windows will determine if there needs to be future changes imo.
    Lagerale likes this.
  14. Lagerale Journeyman

I currently open a new window and have all the battle spam I don't ever care about going to that one, and it's tucked away minimized where I never see it. The only battle messages I get are ones that I absolutely care about and that's honestly not a lot so this tabbed situation is a massive annoyance to me if I can't have multiple windows open instead of using the tabbed boxes. Who the heck would want to be tabbing over and over to catch all the information going on in game?
  15. Ssdar Augur

You can still have as many windows as you had before if that's what you want, they will each just have a tab in them as well for that chat box. You now have the option to move some of those chat boxes to another window as a tab instead.
    Gyurika Godofwar and Praetorian1 like this.
  16. Aurastrider Augur

Perfect that's exactly what I wanted to hear. I can have two windows one for general chat and one for guild and then have tabs for spam. I think I will really like this because know I can have more tabs and filter my spam into categories if I choose to do so. Spell spam in one, melee spam in another and such if I really wanted to refine things (not that I want to but if I did I could without having twenty chat boxes).
  17. Leigo You come here often?

[IMG]
    not so bad
    Gyurika Godofwar and getlostgreg like this.
  18. bloodbeard Elder

I attempted to make the changes in the xml file using notepad, but they didn't save. Can anyone suggest what I'm doing incorrectly?
  19. Ssdar Augur

Did you make the changes to the files in your default folder? you need to copy them to another folder in uifiles and load it as a custom UI, otherwise the patcher will notice the files are changed and patch over them. Or download the already modified version: Titlebarless Chat.
    getlostgreg likes this.
  20. Imukai Augur

I would have loved to see a few options in the ChatContainer in terms of menu options, since they added to it for this change already.
    1. Show/Hide Title / Border
    2. Show/Hide Input Box
    3. Hide Tab Strip If One Tab Only
    4. Tab Title Font Size
    #1 is doable with XML editing but impacts all windows, and #2 is hackablewith XML editing and would impact all windows.

Having them as menu options to configure on a window-by-window basis would be most welcomed.
    Shododaan and Ssdar like this.