Nostalgia...

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Zoshiro, Mar 11, 2019.

1. Zoshiro New Member

I remember back when MMOs were new, still playing UO (which I still play today--UOForever = TLP for UO) This new game with 3d graphics was launching, and I didn't know what to expect. having a cable connection, and a lot of gaming experience, I got into the beta no problem. I was blown away by the size of the world, the depth, and the amazing graphics at the time.

I still remember day once, launching in gfay with a High Elf Wizard and all the noobs running around in cloth armor. It was really a magical experience. Over the years, I have raided and played both EQ and EQ2, sometimes just casually playing to level characters and see new content (I have a 95 Ranger on live) or other times playing like a full time job, and being in the top tier guilds. After Phinny, Agnarr, and Cor...here we are with another new progression, and after 20+ years of EQ, I still have the same nostalgic feeling, waiting for Saturday to come. It gives me butterflies like going on a first date, it really is amazing how a game can do this after two decades.

I think some of the appeal is being in a new guild, meeting new people, playing a new class through the eras. Also, part of it is just the game itself. Gos forbid if I ever have to play another slow XP server like Cor, but this time I think they really got it right, Mangler seems to be the server where they have got it all right, xp and rewards tuned along with many patches over the last few TLP. The staff hasn't had the resources they once did, but they have done a good job over these past few TLP. I am just grateful for Verant, SOE, and all they did over the years. And lets thank DBG for keeping this game still going, who would have thought that we'd still be raiding Kunark and Velious, Luclin and PoP, not to mention classic...all these years later. They truly did something magical when they made this game, and I hope it stays here for a long time. Thank you DBG and EQ for being there for all of us, I will be counting down the days till Saturday, and by then maybe I can decide which classes to roll as mains. See you all in Commonlands in a week.
  2. Cham New Member

Quality post.
    Let's go Saturday :)
    andross77 and Fallfyres like this.
  3. HoodenShuklak Augur

Very true. Many of us still remember that first toon. Late night rain storm coming in in Qeynos Hills. That's like my version of "sleep pillow" app or something... super calming.

And Mangler is a great ruleset. The only problem is, it will have its population siphoned off in 6 or 8 months. Community is what made old EQ amazing. Without our friends or at least many strangers to partake in our adventures alongside us, EQ is absolutely forgettable.
  4. Starshape Elder

Great post, crazy to think a game this old still gets us all excited!
    Fallfyres likes this.
  5. Daimos5 Journeyman

I'm in the same boat. Excited for this weekend, though I still can't decide on selo vs mangler. That faster exp and extra named spawns is just sooooo enticing.

I still remember my first character...High elf paladin lost in greater fay trees after chasing an orc pawn that ran away. No idea how many corpses I left around that night.
    andross77 and Fallfyres like this.
  6. PwnQuest Augur

Good post, I enjoyed it
    andross77 likes this.
  7. LittleBrumski Augur

I remember how frustrating it was to be a noob at the time because even the noob yard trash could kill you. My very first toon was a mage that got shelved at level 4 because I died so much I couldn't even afford to summon pets. (my next toon was a monk, which was nice that I didn't die nearly as much due to FD, but also was perpetually poor because coin had weight and weightless bags were way beyond my monetary means, so almost no looting)
    andross77 likes this.
  8. oldkracow 9999 Is the Krono Account Limit

Necro Human

Being killed in random cities, boat docks and almost everywhere there was a random guard roaming.
    Good times.
    andross77 and Zoshiro like this.
  9. Corydon Augur

Good post, OP! I can only second that. My first toon on day one was a wood elf ranger. I was close to level 20 before I dared to leave Greater Faydark and from then on I was amazed by every zone I visited!The world was just wonderful!

When I did my forst boat ride with two buddies, starting from Butcherblock Mountains, we sailed the Ocean of Tears. And that's where we saw our first giants and cyclopses and we were just in awe as we sailed past them! The biggest creatures we had seen thus far! Everything was soo impressive!

And when we then docked at Freeport it was the first time we saw a big city under the open sky that even had an underground area to explore!

Good, good times...!
  10. HoodenShuklak Augur

RIP in peace Guard Cheslin.
  11. Sterling-Silverfox Elder

I hate Brookrock in greater faydark at noob lift. Always kills my evil little gnome.
    Zoshiro likes this.