Character Names. How does it work?

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Stoney123, Mar 9, 2019.

1. Stoney123 New Member

When I choose a name for a new toon does that name get chosen or rejected based on other people’s names on that particular server or every server in eq? My guess is that it’s only server to server but not sure. Thank you.
  2. getlostgreg Lorekeeper

Just that particular server for character names. Game-wide for guild names.
    Stoney123 likes this.
  3. Gremin Augur

Just that server, first come first serve.
  4. snailish Augur

Can only have so many repeat of the same letter.
    Can only have so many consonants in a row.
    There's names that aren't allowed so even if you are the first to login you won't get them.

I forget if it was EQ or another game that a longstanding player had an issue because their long-used named was a new NPC in a new expac. Someone must of complained about their name... that used to happen a fair bit and not just for blatant inappropriate. Beware if you edged onto some of the more obscure aspects of it.

At times, forced name changes seem to result in some unwieldy appropriate names being assigned. The guildie I am thinking about kind of deserved it though --but may also have been embellishing the story.
  5. Protagonist Tank

Back when classic launched, I had a friend that made a char named "Jesus" and ran around offering to baptize people for plat. It only took a few hours before the GM's changed his name. They named him iLLiLLi but with reversed caps, so in the EQ font it looked like IllIllI
  6. Daimos5 Journeyman

Had a buddy get his name changed to Rtwo Dtwo by a GM on the day that GM quit. RIP GM Crazeco on Veeshan circa 1999
  7. Beggly Augur

I had Softcutencuddly. GM took offence because it was a description, not a name. Sigh. The only overtly sexist name I ever used. It was a name from another game I played, a gladiatorial combat game. I kept loosing, my team was Softcutencuddly, all the gladiators were named things like Squishy and Gushy and Splattish.
  8. Sandrito Elder

I had a character named scrotum which I used as a mule. Luckily i didn't play on them long enough to get complaints i guess.
  9. Valanie Lorekeeper

I had a ranger named freebowjobs but I stopped using it because I didn’t want to get in trouble.
  10. Accipiter Old Timer

My son made a druid named Tilluen in 2000. I started playing a few months after him. I stumbled across Merchant Tilluen in Kelethin selling bags. At least back then the game wasn't rejecting names based solely on NPC names. Now if you tried to name yourself Nagafen you might get rejected...

Also, there is (obviously) a list of names that are auto-reject.
    snailish likes this.
  11. AgentofChange Augur

It works by typing in a name, hitting enter world, then selling that name for as many krono as possible.
  12. Accipiter Old Timer

Bobbybick would like to have a word with you.
  13. Sterling-Silverfox Elder

Well i had 11 names and multiple accounts banned for using Hooters, Pooters, Buffjobs, and Trannytrain. All these names i have used since early 2000's and no issue. Try to log into new servers i cannot use these names anymore. I think they update a list with unacceptable names on it, and then prevent new char's from using them on creation.
  14. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

Yeah or your friends did not like you as much as you thought and reported you.
    code-zero likes this.
  15. Accipiter Old Timer

Time to try Tigole Bitties. I suppose every server had one but I LOL'd the first time I saw Tigole on Xegony.
  16. Hadesborne Augur

Crazeco on Veeshan changed my name to Kount Chocula, oh those days were precious.