Wizard Main - Add 2 boxes.

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Cadogan, Mar 9, 2019.

1. Cadogan New Member

Hi all

I am thinking about maining a wizard on selos and maybe mangler too, I will try group as much as possible, however when I cant find a group, I would like to add 2 boxes to this main to make a trio, again for when I cant find a group, or I only have a little bit of time that day to play.

Wizard / Sk / Shaman - I was considering this!
    Wizard / Beastlord / Bard - how would this go?
    Wizard / Mage / Shaman <- thought about this, but no real pulling ability.

Any other ones you can think of, please post them and the reason why they are good!
    Thanks
  2. Koshk Augur

SK and Beastlord require a lot of attention, in terms of movement and positioning. To be effective, those would become your "main" character. Your wizard would need to take a back seat, and turn into macro-nuke.

Of those 3, your third option is closest to supporting Wizard as a main class. You'd then have the ability to send pet to tank, and heal/slow as required. While keeping most of the focus on your wizard.
  3. Cadogan New Member

Thanks for the quick reply

Another thing I was considering is Necro main
    With mage and shaman box, what’s your thoughts on that?
  4. Sandrito Elder

Having tried to main a wizard on agnarr, phinny and ragefire; be prepared to be on the bottom of the LFG heap with the rogues and necros. For some reason, some dumbo's seem to think wizards are useless in groups, so expect to be LFG and put with crap for lengthy periods.
  5. Chopsuey Augur

Wiz/chanter/cleric. Chanter cleric duo is really strong for lvling then just add in some nukes on wiz and you'll have ports and crack.
    Crayon123 likes this.
  6. Trevalon Augur

Mained a Wizard on Sleeper, Vulak, and Phinny - They are terrible in groups. I legit felt bad when my friends would invite me to groups out of pity and would try to always have a box who could dps outside of group to make up for how bad Wizards are in groups compared to almost any other DPS class.
  7. sumnayin2 Augur

My brother was a Wizard on Coirnav and would drop rains and easily do 30+% of most mobs hp.
  8. Crayon123 Augur

Wizard main? First mistake.

However, if you must, ENC/CLR will carry the team and Wizard can be shoe-shine port boy to earn his rations.
  9. sumnayin2 Augur

Basically wizard is a back seat class...if you want to main a wizard in your guild that works and when you 3 box you will be focusing on your sk instead of the wiz. With that in mind, SK, Shaman, Wizard is totally viable and you will have fast travel so that is great.
  10. Kixx Journeyman

Its very possible to do but you wont really be efficient until your gear is set up well enough.

For early game I wouldn't main wizard at all. Later game sure -

I did Wizard Main, Bard Box, and Autofire Ranger. Was able to do just about anything in Ele Planes 3 box with Wizard Rune tanking / Stunning, Bard songs, and ranger dps
  11. Doze Augur

Wizard DPS in groups is severely underestimated. Quite possibly due to so many wizards being played as secondary porters by people who don't really understand the finer details of wizardry. If you want to shine as a wizard then timing, positioning and carefull mana management are crucial aspects to master. Sadly then on Mangler the wizards will be worse off than usual due to the removal of the focus effects - which IMO will hurt them more than other classes.
  12. HoodenShuklak Augur

If you play a wizard they'll end up being your box which is something to consider. They just demand the least sophisticated clicking of probably any class.

That being said, bard has good synergy with wizard. Add a healer and you're ready for grouping on the fly.
  13. Grailer Augur

Wizard - Bard - Enchanter.

Lots of mana with bard / enchanter

Bard can pull well if required .Enchanter CC or charm.

I think the enchanter would end up your main tho if you start charming.

You could go necro instead of enchanter since necro can be a mana battery for wizard.

Wizards main issue is mana . Ideally you want enchanter to log in buff you with crack then log out.
  14. Sandrito Elder

I agree.
    A good wizard does uber dps... the problem is that Wizard seems to be the favored class for afk players, which gives them a bad rep overall. Of course you need to stock your own mana pots to keep up mana which many do not.
  15. HoodenShuklak Augur

This very much ^^^

Wizards get a bad rap (much like bards) because people who play them lazily.

If you're in a group and the wizard is just constantly dropping single target nukes they are being lazy. A wizard should basically be raining in groups and raids the vaaaast majority of the time. It is not even close how much more efficient it is.

Additionally, wizards can snare and root. On Agnarr, when I snared in a group someone was suprised to know they even could. Situationally, and especially on new servers where gear and AA's don't compensate so much, having just a little bit of know-how can really help.

But in general, I don't even want to take wizards because you end up having to explain to them how to play, which they never take well. lol
  16. Crayon123 Augur

Wizards are a waste of a group spot. They consistently are AFK, or blow their load real quick on 1 or 2 mobs so they can go AFK again. And if they aren't AFK, they are only doing 20% of the DPS of an ENC pet anyways. Rather have a Enc/Mage/Necro/Monk anyday for a DPS spot, and there are oodles of them out there. Wizards often will sit LFG for hours.
  17. Cadogan New Member

Thanks for all the replies.

After reading everybody hating on wizards.
    Am considering maining Necro with shaman and mage box’s

Necro/Shaman/Mage sounds good in my head
    Is there something bad about that ?

Thanks
  18. Grailer Augur

Mage/ Mage/ Mage would be better

Assuming you are true boxing
  19. Karhar Dream Crusher

How far are you considering going with this 3 box? For the long run til UF+ I'd do druid, Chanter, Wiz the synergies they all line up.
  20. Umul Augur

I love all the sh_tting on wizards Lol. Maybe I'll main one and get my epic in Kunark since I'll be the only one.