Necro Race Question

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Stoney123, Mar 8, 2019.

1. Stoney123 New Member

Starting a Necro on Mangler. At some point when Kunark is released would it be possible to race change to Iksar? Would you suggest it for Regen? Is it necessary? What will it do to my starting stats? Thank you
    snailish likes this.
  2. Protagonist Tank

Yes. Meh. No. Default assignment for Iksar/Nec.
    Stoney123 and snailish like this.
  3. snailish Augur

It's been possible on all the recent progression servers. Many (if not most) of certain classes go Iksar when able.

Protagonist's "Meh. No." is not out of line however. Play what you want for whatever reasons you want to.
    Stoney123 likes this.
  4. a_librarian Augur

I think the availability and cheapness of Distillates of Replenishment makes the iksar regen a lot less critical. The level 60 potion gives you +30 hp regen for 30 minutes, and starting in Velious they are dirt cheap from all the siren's grotto farming that happens. There's also distillates of celestial/divine healing that are incredibly powerful, potions of rejuvenation and distillates of spirituality (beastlord buff, level 60 version gives +6 hp/mana regen) if you want even more.

In my opinion all these options make the iksar innate regen less necessary for a solo necro on the TLPs. It's still good, and easily the best racial bonus available if you want to min/max.
    Primanti, Thewiz and Stoney123 like this.
  5. squidgod Augur

What ended up happening with these pots? I remember devs taking them out on Agnarr then putting them back. Will they be available, or will they be locked out until the appropriate expansion?

As for the OP's question, if you've got $25 to blow, Iksar is a change worth making.
    Stoney123 likes this.
  6. a_librarian Augur

They added them back in and era locked Spirituality to when beastlords are introduced in Luclin. All the other types should be available from the start on Mangler, but some ranks won't be craftable because the material needed won't drop in any classic zones.

I think the highest usable distillates in classic are level 45 (requires Black henbane from Sol B kobolds). Level 50 are locked behind a Luclin era drop, autumn crocus. Level 60 distillates are craftable during classic (dropped material is deepwater ink from Kedge keep) but obviously not usable yet.

Kedge is a nice spot to do some leveling in early classic and stock up on inks to sell or keep for making your own distillates through Kunark. Once velious hits the price of inks will drop from like 50p each to 10p because of the massive amount of permanent farmers in Siren's grotto
    Stoney123 likes this.
  7. sumnayin2 Augur

I'd do it more for the skullcap than the regen. Also iksar master race.
    Boze and Stoney123 like this.
  8. malaki Augur

Why would anyone be a Necro and not be a gnome as is proper?
    Stoney123 likes this.
  9. YourNameHere Lorekeeper

I know this will prolly have tomatos thrown at me for saying it, but looking at the p1999 wiki info under Necromancer has a very interesting chart in regards to health regen vs that lich mode thingy where you suck life out to get your mana up.

That is where Iksar innate regen comes into play apparently.

I for one will be going DE necro over ERU necro. Being a DE will put me in a better place for tradeskills and selling in the CL tunnel.
    Stoney123 likes this.
  10. ch0rny Elder

I've been Necro on the past few TLPs and plan to be one again. First was Erudite, second was Iksar. Iksar regen was noticeably helpful as I didn't buy all the potions to boost it otherwise. I killed myself a few times going afk for a bit while liching on the Erudite. Iksar swimming was also nice as well as forage.

I think, however, that I'll roll Erudite again this time. They have some cool quests and like has been mentioned, potions can overcome the regen issue pretty cheaply. I also like the RP feeling that I am following in the footsteps of Miragul.
    Stoney123 likes this.
  11. PwnQuest Augur

Go whatever you want in classic, but definitely re-roll to iksar in Kunark.
  12. koldyne Lorekeeper

I have never tried the erudite necro. What quest are available to them that are special to the race?
  13. Trevalon Augur

Required? No.

But it is very helpful and makes playing a necro less annoying, especially as you get higher and your lich takes more and more of your life per tick. Lets not even get started if you get Ancient Master of Death - that thing, even as an Iksar, will kill you pretty dang fast.

So the answer is yes, if you want at least some QOL Iksar is the best choice for Necro.
  14. ch0rny Elder

Mostly low level noob garden quests that don't matter but are fun.... technically anyone who went to Paineel could do them. But there's a nice set of Mana shoulders later that I think only Erudite can do.

You also get very easy access to The Hole
  15. ShivanAngel Augur

Iksar hands down...
  16. Koshk Augur

^ Absolutely.

I think it's unfortunate too. With one clear "best choice", you don't see a lot of diverse combinations on the servers. Necromancers and monks are usually Iksar. Warriors, SK, and Beastlord are typically Ogres. Shaman are usually Troll or Iksar.

For you Elder Scrolls fans, ES2: Daggerfall had a really interesting character creation system. You could choose "Special Advantages" and offset them with "Special Disadvantages". For example, you could give your character natural hitpoint regeneration. Or bonus damage to undead. However...you then had to offset that with disadvantages. Perhaps increased damage from poison, or constant damage-over-time while in sunlight. The more powerful the advantage? The more disadvantages you had to stack against it.

This would be a fun mechanic in a game like EQ. Any necromancer race could opt-in for increased HP regeneration. But you'd have to offset with disadvantages, like increased damage from fire attacks. Or reduced DoT damage while regenerating. Any warrior could have immunity to stun from the front, but would have to offset with some other kind of penalty.
    snailish likes this.
  17. Protagonist Tank

Hole keying was removed. It's just an unkeyed door, now.
  18. sumnayin2 Augur

Their Origin is right there
  19. Wrukk New Member

Some things to consider, how fast are you going to level your necro in classic before Kunark launches? If you aren't going to hit mid to high 40s, I'd just wait on Kunark. Leveling will still be quick at least until Velious. I made a Dark Elf necro with an Iksar name on Phinny at server launch. I only got him to level 31 when Kunark launched and did the race change to Iksar. I did notice an improvement while in lich form. After the race change, my swimming was level 1 and so was foraging. On Coirnav server I leveled another class first to farm plat and krono and bought twink gear for my Iksar necro.
  20. Tachyon Augur

Necromancy is all about mana regen, not hp regen. I've played one for twenty years and running low on hp was never an issue. Play an Iksar if you like, but it is not necessary.
    andross77 likes this.