20th anniversary - Free Heroics?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by coffee349, Feb 22, 2019.

1. coffee349 Journeyman

For EQ's 20th anniversary (this year) will DBG give away any free heroics (like before) or offer any specials for returning players?
    Orbital101 and Neodraykl like this.
  2. KermittheFroglok Augur

No clue, but they did it in 2014 & 2017.

What sales or giveaways they offer for the anniversary differs each year, they might not announce anything else until mid-March?
    Gyurika Godofwar and coffee349 like this.
  3. Khaliss Augur

My suggestion would be a claimable token for instant level-65 on all characters, including Free2Play accounts (with 1000 spendable AAs) below that level. Lots of great content (Kunark, Velious, Luclin, PoP, LDoN), the "golden age"... would be nice to fool around in these classic zones for EQ's 20th anniversary
  4. Captain Video Augur

I know there is going to be an announcement when the 20th anniversary celebration begins, and the announcement is free.
  5. Jhenna_BB Proudly Prestigious Pointed Purveyor of Pincusions

It sounds like a high amount of effort was placed into the content. If it's as good as we all hope, things like free heroics will be icing on the cake. /fingers crossed!
  6. KermittheFroglok Augur

I literally just lol at this post!
    Shanarias likes this.
  7. Quatr Augur

I have no inside information, but the last time there was a big promotion during an anniversary, they made all accounts All Access for a few weeks and ran double XP.

At least in my case, it worked in that I came back and ended up buying an annual subscription. Auto-grant, J mercs and double XP showed me that catching up was realistic.
  8. coffee349 Journeyman

I don't see any announcement what will be offered on the 20th Anniversary.

All I know is in the past SONY offered free heroics during the anniversary before. Last year (2018) I was really disappointed to see DBG didn't offer nothing like that.

I'm hoping the 20th anniversary will be something special and they will offer free heroics again.

It would be awesome if the Heroics started out at level 95 or 100 and in a business sense it would really help incentivize returning players to finally come back and try out the new expansions and explore new zones, etc.

I hope DBG makes it happen and offers something really nice to their loyal EQ fan base, otherwise I'm not too excited about the 20th anniversary (except for maybe the annual anniversaries quests). The least they could do is offer double XP...
    Barton likes this.
  9. Aurastrider Augur

I am just happy there is even a 20th anniversary to celebrate but with that aside if we are just dreaming up things that would be nice extras on top of what ever else we will be celebrating I would love to see any or all of the following.

1. Anniversary content for group players and not just some gnome race type thing for the group players that provides zero meaningful upgrades.
    2. Make all store bought items including the old LON and prize packs heirloom. It sucks to have a high value item chained to an old main that you basically cant use any more on your account after spending tons of money to obtain it.
    3. Make meaningful group anniversary content
    4. Anything free whether it be a HC or an ornament is still free at the end of the day.
    5. make meaningful group anniversary content.
    6. Create some actual evil looking ornaments that my sk would be proud to wear and not something that says I enjoy picking flowers in a field and taking long walks on the beach with picnics and bunny rabbits and unicorns and the such.
    7. Make meaningful group anniversary content.
    8. Make it so we can be in illusion form on our mount.
    9. Lastly what I want above all else is meaningful group anniversary content. If they do this everything else is just a bonus.
  10. coffee349 Journeyman

I agree its about time for free heroics again, a bonus would be meaningful anniversary content, new quests, etc. Free heroics would be a dream come true for many veteran players to finally come back.
    Gyurika Godofwar likes this.
  11. coffee349 Journeyman

Yes.
    Gyurika Godofwar likes this.
  12. SubEffect An Original Lord of Fizzle and Whiff

There's hope. DBG was at the helm in 2017 when I came back with my free heroic during the 18th anniversary. (hint DBG: I'm still here 2 years later with 2 more paid accounts!)

Fingers crossed as well.. another toon at 85 is another way to keep me addicted - but more importantly, bring people back to the game, or join it for the first time.
  13. BadPallyGuildLeader Augur

heck a new zone and a nice run of double XP would be just great. I have some recently 110's added to my group of 110\highAA'd characters for whom double xp would help bolster AAs.
    Gyurika Godofwar and coffee349 like this.
  14. Morthakia Augur

I set up a few new FTP accounts in case they give out free heroics. If they do, I’m going to launch the heroics, sub the accounts, and buy TBL. Otherwise they will remain dormant!
    Pirlo, Gyurika Godofwar and coffee349 like this.
  15. Ecchicon Elder

I'm not trying to derail this thread, but I'd quite like them to add "Silver" status back in.

It's a minor thing, I guess, but I like access to Apprentice Mercs (rank V) and the option to do housing on my heroic alts. It doesn't necessarily need to be something you buy with station cash, but it could be what all accesses revert into after the sub expires.

On a similar note, I often see people requesting the AA cap be increased for free to play characters. This is really something I hope the EQ team considers. In my opinion, the interactions between AA caps, heroic characters, and auto-grant make for a clunky experience. If it were me, I'd likely take a pretty drastic change from the status quo.

Examples:
    • Increase the AA cap to whatever autogrant would give an all-access player
    • Remove AA cap for all AAs within free expansions (similar to above suggestion)
    • Keep cap but enable autogrant for all players (which bypasses the cap)
    Whatever the change, the main result I'd like to see is that someone playing a heroic character on a free to play account can hit level 86 (87, 88, 89... up to some reasonable point) and spend AAs on new abilities so that their development and understand of the class doesn't fall behind.
  16. Tatanka Joe Schmo

All good AA ideas.

I also had one I mentioned in the QOL thread... remove the restriction on banking unspent AAs for F2P chars. Currently, F2Ps can't get any banked AA. This seems counterproductive. Unspent AAs don't directly benefit you now, so there's no giving more power to F2Ps. However, if a F2P winds up with a couple hundred banked AAs, that >might< be an incentive to sub, so that the AAs could be spent.

Seems like a win-win to me.
    coffee349 likes this.
  17. Captain Video Augur

There will be Platinum Anniversary Cake. Something interesting will happen when you eat it.
  18. Tatanka Joe Schmo

19. coffee349 Journeyman

Definitely. Free Heroic characters with increase in AA cap on F2P (autogrant) would incentivize veteran players to return and bring new friends. I wish Silver status would come back.

If the AA cap increased on F2P, fair enough. It would be nice to see returning players come back. If I don't see free heroic characters this time around, double XP or anything special for the 20th anniversary, I ain't buying nothing.

I'm hoping if free heroics come back, my friends will too. It would be nice to see them again and incentivize them to return to Norrath and try out new content.
  20. coffee349 Journeyman

Keep the good thoughts coming :)