Bring EQmac back online

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Locnar, Feb 24, 2019.

1. Locnar Journeyman

Players with PCs were already logging into it and playing on it in the last couple years of its existence, so it would not just be mac only. This simple act of turning the Alkabor server back on would fulfill the latent desire of the playerbase for a more classic and (as promised to us) "Hardcore" game experience, with old zones preserved, corpse runs, and all the rest.

You can even make it a TLP by unlocking kunark, velious, etc for a period of months until Alkabor is back to the PoP locked in time server it was before the tragic ending of that server a few years ago.

The server is there, the database is there, PLUG it back in to the wall socket and lets GO.
    Ltldogg likes this.
  2. Candystore Augur

There are even less people with Apple computers today than there were back then.
  3. Locnar Journeyman

Don't need a mac to play on Alkabor, either then or now.
  4. Ltldogg Augur

I agree, bring it back!
  5. snailish Augur

I'd try to find happiness on Agnarr instead of waiting for this to happen...
  6. Locnar Journeyman

Agnarr is PoP locked with 2019 EQ mechanics.

Alkabor is PoP locked with 2002 EQ mechanics.

Two wildly different games.
  7. pimenttoncheese Elder

It seems that every forum you find yourself on, your ideas are outlandish and unwanted.
  8. snailish Augur

They had one dev (Hobart) that was fiddling with EQMac. Not sure Hobart is still around.

They have no devs that predate Prophecy of Ro to my understanding.

EQMac is a different build of a different game --I agree.

I didn't agree with it being shut down, but I really don't see it coming back.

So my point of "Try and be happy with Agnarr" stands.
  9. ShivanAngel Augur

There has to be a reason it got shut down.

I highly doubt they would shut down a server that was profitable.
  10. Locnar Journeyman

It was shut down because of two things:

1. The server ceased being a subscription server and became free to play

this coupled with:

2. A certain someone whom Im not sure I will ever forgive released a unofficial hack of the client that allowed people on PCs to log into what use to be a mac only server.

This flooded the server with more people, which is not bad but a percentage of them brought their cheating and disruptive ways with them. Then with throw away (free remember?) accounts began to greatly disrupt server life. This lead to the server becoming a customer service headache in addition to no longer generating revenue with the old subscription model and management pulled the plug.

If they would only reintroduce the server, WITH the subscription model it had I don't think we'd see the plague of throw away disruptive accounts we saw. Anyways, it was a shame and I wish the current management would reconsider this server.
  11. Darchon_Xegony Augur

I agree with this.

Bring it back online and make it require a subscription to log into an account on Al’Kabor.

Don’t mess around with locks or trying to code different things just bring it back and put a disclaimer that the server should be accepted as-is. Any bugs or broken mechanics should be accepted as they don’t have the resources to code two different code based especially one that’s 15 years old.

I’d happily play a few boxes on Al’Kabor again.
  12. orionfox Lorekeeper

Can we force PPC code too? Or emulated 68000 code? Dont let those filthy Intel processors play!

:D
  13. Ceffener Augur

Couldn’t maintain enough players to see updates/expansions.
    Couldn’t maintain enough players to justify a subscription.
    Couldn’t maintain enough players to justify being free.
    Sounds like a solid plan.

(People are also underestimating how easy it would be for PC players to use the Mac client, just because some people did it...not enough did it to make the server profitable)

And why do you assume the server hardware has just been laying around for 6 years and that they maintain a database that isn’t used?
  14. RolePlayith Journeyman