Classic EQ Hardcore TLP - Wanted Features

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Gorgol the Ogre, Feb 23, 2019.

1. Gorgol the Ogre Elder

Hey Team EQ TLP!

What would you like to see in a hardcore TLP that tries to get as close to classic as possible? As in: "This is no joke, welcome to classic EQ suckers."

Personally, that would mean the original XP gains, corpse runs and death penalties. And maybe 4 month unlocks to compensate for the additional time needed to level characters. What say you horde?
  2. ShivanAngel Augur

P99 is that way, and endorsed by DBG!!!
  3. PwnQuest Augur

p99 green is your dream
    Ltldogg likes this.
  4. Gorgol the Ogre Elder

No thanks. I would prefer to have a Classic experience that progresses through all the expansions, instead of just getting locked in one of the early eras.

Could we add some more ideas here instead of pointing to p99 please? What would you like to see in a truly Classic EQ server experience?
  5. Kahna Augur

Preeeetty sure your in sparse company with the whole "classic EQ experience" thing. Most of us grew out of that nonsense years ago.

This is kind of why I'm not holding my breath for Pantheon. Sure people say they want that old experience, but you can't even get diehard EQ players to deal with slow exp and corpse runs anymore. If they won't deal with it in a game they haven't been able to quit in 20 years, what on earth makes people think they want it in a brand new game?
  6. Renshu Augur

I don't think you should hold your breath waiting for this one after the negative response to the original Mangler server. I'd say it's never going to happen.
  7. Gorgol the Ogre Elder

I disagree. While of course challenging for modern MMO players, I think that there must be an audience for classic experience - especially among seasoned EQ / EQ TLP players.

Otherwise the p99s would have died out a long time ago.
  8. snailish Augur

Ahh, let the person [the OP] dream. Not something I would want by the way.

To truly recapture you have to account for player knowledge and skill in some way...

This either means a global debuff on players that makes us weaker, or a motm effect on npc that makes them at least 30% harder.

-no in game maps
    -no shared bank --arguably should be one character per account
    -no big bags or out of era bags
    -stare at that spell book sucker
    -pets poof on invis and zoning, other pet improvements undone.
    -sense heading starts at zero and cannot be keymapped
    -no parcel, soulbinders, etc.
    -no agents of change or pickzone
    -original release schedule or you aren't hardcore
    -no marketplace or claim
    -hello hell levels
    -origin is era set much later
    -hello level 70 tuned GoD (and any other content that was tuned down even a week after original release)
    -no quest can be multi-quested, especially epics.

Probably not hardcore enough... so add to the fire
    -raid mobs banish you out of the zone to somewhere annoying, not into a room or zoneline you can manipulate
    -moar deathtouch, moar trash mobs that summon and stun sucker
    -all NPC gear loot is notrade
    -OoW charm nerfed applied retroactively
    -resist check changes (etc.) undone so charming is much harder
    -all tradeskill gear is attuneable
    -NPC spells get better resist checks... you are getting charmed, mezzed and dotted by level 20 mobs again even if you are overgeared for the average expected of the era
    -Kithicor mobs all see invis and aggro from a long radius... and it is always night in Kithicor
    -Commonlands plague is uncurable and lasts 6 hours
    -NPC AI smartens up and they use dispels more, proc slows when you hit them and call friends that pop
    -warrior, cleric and wizard are only classes in classic. Each expac adds 1 or 2.
    -level caps reduced drastically, classic is level 30, Kunark 40, etc.

At least 2 problems with this...
    1. bunch of global impact that would hurt other servers including live
    2. does more than a handful of people play this for more than a month?
    Gorgol the Ogre likes this.
  9. Gorgol the Ogre Elder

Awesome suggestions. What about a temporary challenge PvE server with some of these features? Similar to the seasonal PvP server on EQ 2?
  10. Ghost Of Fippy Augur

Great! We can have that Scrreeeching noise replace the music, like your 56K modem makes while dialing up to the server select screen while the game is loading.....

Then add random server crashes each week.
    Loss of gear.
    Roll backs.
    Lag so bad, you break a keyboard or two
    Odus containing two low level zones - Tox Forrest and Kitty Dungeon
    Waiting for boats that never come because they are bugged.
    Riding boats that zone faster than your character can, and you end up on the other side in the water.
    Mobs that hit through walls, floors, and ceilings.
    Corpses stuck in walls and terrain with all your gear.
    Falling through the world and dying.

A real hardcore players wet dream....
  11. Renshu Augur

P99 is kinda key here. P99 is already taking up that market share of people and EQ would have to compete with them. They don't want to compete with them. Further, they've already deemed that it would be more harmful to them to shut down P99 and try to take that market (get community backlash, invest in changes to allow corpse runs, change back classic zones, etc) than to move forward with a pirate competitor as shown with their "supportive stance" with P99. Not to say that they would never try to compete with P99 (they did hit that demo a bit with Agnarr), but I don't think they are ever going to try to get that true P99 classic feel on a DBG server. Just my opinion though!
  12. Locnar Journeyman

They may have "lost" stuff from back in 1999 but they sure as heck still have the EQmac Alkabor server and its database. They could just bring that server back online, and clone it to work with PCs too , people with just PCs were already playing on it towards the end of the server anyways.

So yes it can be done. Just bring Alkabor back online, and if you want make it a TLP and block out kunark, Velious, etc. until X amount of months pass.

We can send a man to the moon but we can't bring EQmac Alkabor back online? right
  13. Shakara Augur

Let me be a breath of fresh air in light of all these trolls. The OP is thinking too old school. We don't need a longer grind to make EQ hardcore. We need more extremes between positive and negative consequences. Here is what I suggest for a Hardcore server with a truly unique ruleset.
    -Remove the extra mitigation from raid mobs (keep the other parts of MoTM though)
    -Remove DTs or Make them delayed debuffs that can be cured
    -Have AoCs but restrict them to 30 players down from 12 groups to 5
    -AoC lockouts are only 2-3 days
    -Agnarr or slightly faster XP with very steep death penalty (40-50% loss)
    -OW raid mobs spawn 1 time per day but the area around them is flagged for PvP
    Purpose here is to increase the rewards of EQ while increasing the risk. Too often in EQ bad play goes unpunished and good play goes unnoticed.
  14. Ltldogg Augur

Unfortuantely, once the content moves beyond SoV, the game becomes less and less hardcore. That is why I continue to push for an exact server like p99 Blue that will have new content in the spirit of Classic + Kunark + Velious. This is what p99 Green is advertising for the future.

I support the p99 team, but would also like to see DBG do the same (the more doing this concept the better!).
  15. Locnar Journeyman

Shakara, was the Alkabor server of just a few years ago too hardcore? For reference it was locked into PoP circa late 2002 era.
  16. Shakara Augur

I am not familiar with this server I started playing EQ when Omens came out
  17. Nuther Augur

Coin weight.

It will change the game.
    Gorgol the Ogre and Shakara like this.
  18. Paradisic_parasite Elder

No ToT, no ooc indicator that tells if you have aggro.
  19. Ltldogg Augur

Coin weight, no compass, no map, low light nights, no focus effects, no augs, CR, death penalty
  20. Umul Augur

Pitches hardcore server, pads the unlock timer. Should be a racing server if its gonna be hardcore. That's the only way to do it right. Plus all the other stuff.