[Wizzy] Dead spell lines

Discussion in 'Casters' started by Yinla, Feb 6, 2019.

1. Brohg Augur

If it were in my hands, I'd remove the TC blockers from Wildmagic, and half of them from Dissident (so that it twins normally). I'd make Braid into a "heavy" version of Wildmagic by randomizing the base Ethereal just like the extra chance Ethereal.

I'd move Vortex & Gambit into the "core" linup that comes with level increases.

The Beams are missing a magic version, I'd remedy that; they're good spells otherwise, though. The rest of the AEs need revamping, and I don't have a clear vision of what that should look like. Wizard should have a solid AE option that doesn't take half the spell bar, and has substantial incentive when applicable.

Again, don't know what the spell would look like, but I think wizards should have the spell with the highest base damage. Dissident exists, but besides the 1 minute cooldown is intentionally leveled out of nearly all ADPS #frown

If I were feeling truly radical, I'd roll together the Twincast into the Refresh chances on Claw Reflection, and remove the restriction that Twincast can't be refreshed.

Something fun? Instant free-target shadowstep spell :)
    Pirlo likes this.
  2. Brohg Augur

If I could I'd also somehow engineer flexibility into the Claw spells to make them one spell. Turning chromatic would be questionable, and going with some kinda script for it to match the active 'mancy feels like a long ask. Dunno.
  3. Critts Augur

Not to bad. A bit bland but it would brighten up our parses a good amount. As I mentioned before I’m all for the removal of Twincast restrictions.

Braid becoming a wild type spell it makes since, however I can see 3 different elemental versions also working out (thinking of Chase Glove’s focus).

Claw is much the same way. I would be for a wild version, but the ice version of claw is likely about to take a primary casting slot. Mostly for the Cryo proc and mana cost and the glove focus increase. The elemental boost proc % for useing the different elements is kind of a nice benifit when dealing with resistant mobs just because your most casting the same element. A wild version of claw would have to normalize the elemental increases or put the values in a different catagory how about refresh or TC.

I could go all in on a wild version of anAE Beam as well as other AE types.

Twincast spell gem refresh, yes please.

Some different location options would be nice but too easily exploitable without keeping the same restrictions that our steps already have z axis, geometry, etc. It would end up being a step that you have to target vs a step you have to aim. It would work much better for the 3rd person view tho.
  4. Critts Augur

5. Critts Augur

I just went through the 106-110 list here are the ones that can get the boot as far as I am concerned.

Concussive Volley - Just not worth the spell slot. I can't recall the last time I drew agro simply from nuking.

Lure of Travenro and Qunard, - I have no idea who or why someone would use these spells on a blue server. maybe PVP. if a mob is resisting ice or fire just use a different element.

Katelanata - This is kind useful for quad kiting but its just not reasonable to think you would need it in TBL. who or where would someone try to kite in TBL?

Leap of Stormjolts - no way am I giving up a gem slot for the chance to cast this. for some quick damage at the end of a fight or something. Again it could be used to kite stuff but wizards don't kite very much anymore.

Chaos Burn - another fast casting kiters tool that just doesn't get used anymore. Perhaps the low mana cost is attractive to afk killers.

Lightning Tempest,
    Icefloe Cascade, and
    Dragoflux's Fire - All mid range damage nukes that don't offer the best bang for your buck or time.

Torsis Guard - Again who is kiting?

Thricewoven Capacity - Love the idea of this spell, but its reward is just not worth missing the spell you could have cast in its place. I would like to see this spell reworked into something better.

I didn't list any of the AE damage. I would say there are to many and they need some consolidation.
  6. Vizier Augur

^^ Regarding potential quad kiting I have had some minor success in the poFire HA Delivery instance after we finished task. The guardians don't summon and are basically vanilla. If you ever quad kited at tables in PoP you know the area.
  7. Mookus Augur

8. Mookus Augur

I'm glad they didn't give us the same crappy ae lineup +2% this expansion.
    Cragzot was right, a lot of our spells were balanced around EQ ten years ago or more. Perpetuating the 2% increases on those spells per expansion just results in them falling farther and farther behind. So some thought about dps balance would have to be made to push another set at least for later expansions.

Root isn't a dead wiz spell, but its not seen an improvement in a while. I really feel the need to re-pitch the idea for a new root that can't break for a set number of nukes. Dot rotting looks nice, not sure how that became ok but I gotta run around like a vaudeville act with my root nuking. All the int classes have pets. Our root needs to be better imo.
  9. Critts Augur

minor success? dare I ask?
  10. Vizier Augur

I can only confirm that it's possible. Whether or not someone who is better at it than I am can make it efficient is another story.
  11. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

Agree with all but Icefloe Cascade, that does not get reflected so that and the previous one becomes my main casts on reflective mobs.
    Brohg likes this.
  12. kizant Augur

Been thinking about this some and here's what I got so far to make it a little better.

1. Start by consolidating those middle of the road nukes with the lures. Make 3 nukes that are efficient, 25% less DPS than the ethereal equivalents, extremely hard to resist, and can't be reflected. We wouldn't use them often but at least they'd have a clear purpose.

2. Discontinue Arcon Husk and buff Aegis slightly so nobody could complain about it.

3. Discontinue Tears of Dragonflux and change the resist modifier on Frostbite Torrent to -300 like Magmatic Explosion. Then we'd at least have two worthwhile rains.

4. Discontinue Musing Harvest and buff Musing Gambit slightly so nobody can complain. We really don't need this upgraded every level increase either. Gambit could still be an upgrade on alternative years.

5. Combine Leap of Stormjolts and Divergent Lightning. I'm not against having some extra nukes like these but we really don't need two small magic nukes. And to keep people from complaining make it have the best of both as far as Stormjolts DPS with the stun effect of Divergent. I'm still not going to use it outside a couple TBL raids so the DPS isn't really important except for appearances.

6. Remove Shadow Step from Katelanata. The spell is mostly useless in the first place. Making you get ported around turns a almost never used spell into a complete joke.

7. Discontinue Concussive Volley and buff Cortexfreeze.

8. Add a buff like Flashburn Single to Cloudburst. It might be higher DPS than the others but it also roots you and gets resisted a lot due to lack of resist modifiers. Plus it can't be focused by season's wrath or elemental arrows, etc. It's more than enough negatives to warrant a similar buff and our DPS could use a little help this expansion as it is. This could be a good small improvement to it.

9. Don't bring back Self-Combustion and definitely don't bring back our splash AEs. Focus on what used to work fine in the old days. Give us back a magic Pillar and remove the shared timer. Reduce the re-use timer on our beams from 12 seconds to 8 seconds. Our AE DPS is pretty weak in its current state especially considering it takes the most work.

10. Discontinue Thricewoven Capacity. The Manaweave line needs to die. It was neat and semi-decent for one expansion and has been terrible ever since. Unless they want to just have fun with it and give it some overpowered SPA instead of 124.

11. Ideally, remove the twincast blocker on Wildflash and get rid of Chaos Burn. But I think the chances of that happening is pretty slim.

12. I'm also fine with keeping 3 different claws. We've had enough resist specific mobs the last few expansions that I don't think we'd gain much by combining them. Although, they should all do the same DPS. We use the spell for the procs not the DPS. It's more utility than an Ethereal. The only reason we should have to choose one vs the other is resists.
    Sancus likes this.
  13. kizant Augur

13. Forgot Dissident/Dicho. I'd prefer a bigger chance to this one but if they could at least increase the base damage by 25% or so it would be also make the spell more viable.
  14. Vizier Augur

Dont kill musing harvest, if you are boxin gthe wizard its better than gambit most times just for convenience. EX: I will ofter set musing harvest to cast while I go off to pull with my other toon. Bty the time im back its done casting and wiz ready to nuke.
    Critts likes this.
  15. kizant Augur

Just put gambit in your normal sustained DPS bind. It should be on cool down the majority of the time you're out there pulling. You'll have a lot more mana if you use gambit every time it's up than trying to wait for the perfect time to use musing harvest. Besides, if the only good use for something is to support boxing then I'd argue that there are no good uses for said thing.
    Critts, Brohg and Sancus like this.
  16. Vizier Augur

Yeah it's not efficiency, like I said its convenience only. But that has some value no? I will try your suggestion however.
  17. CrazyLarth Augur

6. Remove Shadow Step from Katelanata. The spell is mostly useless in the first place. Making you get ported around turns a almost never used spell into a complete joke.

No dont wiz can block the port if they dont wanted to be ported

musing harvest is better then the there spell
  18. Pirlo Augur

all of this information is great and some of these suggestions sound really good but not overpowering so my question is this...
    how do we collectively focus our efforts to communicate this to the spell developer Aristo and either try to get this implemented in the next expansion or at least compromise on some of these suggested improvements...
  19. Critts Augur

Good question. Let’s ask the Necro DoT revamp team.... I would be willing to rally for change within the class. I do think that the play style that has evolved around the class I.E. maximize DPS by finding the most efficient highest DPS spells to weave is not really what the classs should be at all. Sure it’s nice to have that but I think we should be much more risky. There should be in my opinion an amount of skill needed to actualy cast a spell correctly. Spells should require a build up and hit for massive amounts of damage as well as being failable by doing the wrong thing or not haveing a regent or something. Just quick thoughts.
  20. Jiggs Elder

Agreed on many of the spells, but some of the ones listed I still find useful.

Particularly, Cascade line (medium ice nuke), Ice Pillar line and Vortex. All of these cannot be reflected and have proven useful on several raids. EoK Kar'zok raid, CoTF Neriak 2 raid (the big purple mob) come to mind. Our Force of xxx AA nukes also cannot be reflected. Knowing that we have tools to still dps when we otherwise wouldn't is a plus even if the dps is not what we normally put out.

Shadow step can be blocked on the stun portion of the Kata line and our Netherstep AA will still work. One of the tier 2 TBL raids requires stuns on some of the adds. Being able to contribute to guild wins with our stuns is a plus. (probably even more useful for guilds that don't have many chanters)

Wildmagic spell line has had a role for me on things like raid clears with tons of adds that die fast. (Sathir's Tomb first raid for example) Nothing irks me more that starting to nuke a trash mob with an ethereal when it is at 95% and it dies 3/4 the way into the nuke. Not only have I wasted time doing zero dps to that add, now my spell gems are grayed out and the next add.
    WM line is also useful right after getting a rez on raid when mana is practically zero but can still nuke hoping for a Gift of Mana to refresh Gambit.
    With TBL came some raid events that require mobs to stay within 1%. The WM line can be a useful filler nuke to make sure we don't cause the script to be unbalanced.

Our AE needs some work. I hopped on my mage alt the other day and their beam does about 30% less damage per cast than ours but they can recast it every 1.5 seconds compared to 12 second recast. I would gladly trade ours for theirs especially considering there is no negative feedback like ours have. Our AE damage would greatly increase if we could cast them every 1.5 seconds. I will occasionally use our fire beam on some raids but requires us to be on our toes and bring up the map in case we get blinded and have to move away from the raid.

I would leave in our instant fire and ice nukes as well. TBL has mobs that resist certain spells and having that option is a good thing.

Other than that, I agree there are a lot of spells that could go bye-bye.