Ridicously long server downtime

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by Darwarhammer, Feb 20, 2019.

1. Nennius Curmudgeon

Luclin launch was the worst for those who survived it. This too shall pass.
    Rarthin, Endaar and Quill like this.
  2. Quill Augur

True Story. Just think of this as more time to rewatch The Umbrella Academy.
    Rarthin likes this.
  3. Fian Augur

My biggest complaint is the lack of communication. If they run into an issue that will take at least 2 hours to resolve, then give us that update. Frankly, I think most would appreciate some actual details. Hardware failure on a server, 2 servers failed to come up after update, etc. It is better to have a general idea of what is going on, then letting us play guessing games because they don't tell us anything.
  4. Ferriciean Lorekeeper

Lord, yeah ... I remember the 1018 crap, and the Luclin downtime. This is inconvenient, but tolerable =)
  5. Otus/Zlandian New Member

i remember back in the day a 5 hour down time for a patch lasting 2 or 3 days. sometimes only to have the servers brought down again a day or 2 later for emergency maintenance for another 8 to 16 hours. you would hope that it would be easier to make sure things are working properly after 20 years. but then again how many of you are actually using rigs that would be contemporary with even PoP era? while we have been spoiled by other games and their relatively short down time for updates. lets not forget even Verant and SoE couldn't get it right, why should we expect anything more from DayBreak?
  6. Mardox_Of_FV New Member

20 years later and I still feel like I'm back in beta.....
  7. Silverpine New Member

CI/CD pipeline FTW!
  8. DarkdocRN New Member

Did I just see a Ferriciean Spawn??
  9. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

Your tears are delicious. Keep them coming!
  10. klanderso Developer

I'm only gonna say a quick thing because I don't want to get sucked into anything.

Sometimes things break, especially when using live data and cases that may be broken in new and exciting ways that no one predicted. When this happens, generally the person in charge will then spend the next X hours investigating and fixing and hoping and wishing to resolve the problem as quickly as possible. If we're lucky, it gets fixed before our goal unlock time. But if we're unlucky, like today, it doesn't. This was one of those times where multiple programmers (mainly my boss's boss and me) spent several solid hours digging through some code to try and find what was causing an issue and hoping that we could fix it easily. The reason there weren't more frequent updates is because we were heads down for that entire time. Lack of communication sucks, but getting the game fixed quickly (and correctly) matters more, right? This comment is the closest thing I've taken to a break since I got here before 6AM.

TLDR; We love the game, we want things fixed too, but we're only human and can't be perfect all the time.
  11. Ferriciean Lorekeeper

<3
    DarkdocRN likes this.
  12. Ferriciean Lorekeeper

That's what I assumed, as well =) Been there ... happens.
    Corwyhn Lionheart and xxGriff like this.
  13. xxGriff Augur

Thanks Klanderso.

I cannot help but notice the lack of All Access posts. Just whining about "my krono time..." And one cannot help but wonder where those were purchased. From DBG? /Sceptical
  14. Ceffener Augur

I remember when a patch took my 28.8 3 days to download.
  15. FOGBANK Lorekeeper

The hamster that powers the wheel that runs the server hard drive died, and they are having a tough time finding a replacement. :(
  16. FOGBANK Lorekeeper

Oh, I should not mention the bug where a mob is rooted but still can move? Don't tell them about that, they wlll have them down for another week....
  17. Rarthin New Member

The forums need a super like button!
    adetia, Corwyhn Lionheart and Aidoin like this.
  18. Ceffener Augur

I still don’t understand how being told every 20 minutes “we will give you more information when we know”, would make some of you feel better.
  19. Ruination Elder

I won't act like I know what this kind of job entails, but from the outside looking in would it be possible to remove the updates, use what you had working yesterday and just figure out what went wrong while the rest of us play? Not meant to be mean, just a question.
  20. CartoTLP Journeyman

No break since 6am? Sounds like a California Labor Code violation to me.
    SKlyfe likes this.