Ridicously long server downtime

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by Darwarhammer, Feb 20, 2019.

1. Dolphinn New Member

I get it about being degraded but it is just basic customer service. As for owing anything I really do not think they do because it has been out for a while that they will be doing the update.
  2. xxGriff Augur

Nothing new. It happens and yes communication could be improved. Yet I must take exception to any notion that test server is only inhabitted by casual drive by test copies to see content and no actual testing other bug submission occurs. It does and devs are quick to engage. There is a healthy exchange and even in the face of unpopular decisions, I have never felt devs did not listen. To be sure there is an annoyingly frequent extensions to patches and downtime. However the age old "let's find someone/something to pin it all on." Is folly. It is what it is, and these posts are invariably filled with anger and threats of rage quitting. Something to be said for that consistency I guess. Quit if it makes u feel better, or superior... Or relax and play when it's working. There is not now, ever has been or likely to ever be some utopian MMO where subscribers are massaged while servers are down, and given updates every half hour.
    Rarthin likes this.
  3. FOGBANK Lorekeeper

ok, I remained mum long enough...gimme my bonus experience compensation already! and maybe a 50 percent off in the DB store! :)
    ConsentRevoked likes this.
  4. Noctia New Member

They're going through and kicking off all the botters this takes time. Plus the others who cheat as well putting them back down to 52..
    FOGBANK likes this.
  5. 123shamen New Member

The team is working to resolve an outstanding issue, and servers are expected to remain down for several more hours. We will provide updates as we can. this was there last tweet about 10 min ago. WHAT A JOKE
  6. 123shamen New Member

all i know is when patches take an entire day and you cant play , your time shouldn't be taken off your kronos.
  7. Phiyre Augur

I'd say if you can't play 1/2 the day due to downtime, a free day should be added to the all access/gold time on the account. Not looking for the world, but at least this small and fair compensation for paid time lost.
  8. Trozz New Member

Maybe they will be up by tomorrow, one can only hope. I feel that we are all owed one full day of paid time.
  9. Miauler New Member

The Krono and subscription are all worked into an overall cost, so over the year, it averages out with the missed time in outages.
    I work on fairly hefty systems, so know full well what can happen if someone spots something when you go live that didn't look that way when you ran it in test. With the best will in the world, there's always something that can interact in an odd way (especially when you've got old code like EQ that interacts between various points in the infrastructure in an 'interesting' way, built for when the internet was a different beast, and the networks and servers behaved differently).
    The proper way to deal with this is to either roll back and retry later (most likely not an option, or at least and option that'd take so long to implement it's usually faster to fix the arising infrastructure issues), or you have the ops diagnose and fix. Which can take some time.
    Still wish there were opportunities for volunteer ops. ;) I'd probably have as much fun going over the infrastructure as I would playing the game..
    There's a general curve of cost for maintaining uptime. EQ, as far as I can work out is up for all but maybe 3-4 days of a year (maybe more). That's 99% uptime on a complex, distributed legacy system is pretty damn good (especially when most of that downtime is scheduled maintenance)... Which is costly. Three nines wouldn't even cover the maint windows it requires (security patches for the server OS, and probably hordes of other things too that need to be rolled in).
    I'm glad EQ is still running in any way, shape, or form. It fits what I like, and it's a way of keeping in touch with people I have fun chatting with, and actually have an activity when most of the world has gone to sleep...
    I suspect the EQ team is very tight on funds, and not that profitable these days. Enough to pay people's wages, and make enough to keep it just about worthwhile most likely.
  10. Metanis Bad Company

This is how the game is going to die someday!!!

They'll say they're doing routine patching, shut down the servers, turn the lights out, walk away, and wait for the bankruptcy sale!

The Reddit threads will be epic.
  11. Senu Journeyman

I am not pleased either. Today is my first day off in almost two weeks and I wont be able to play.

That said, I think Daybreak makes a real effort and those of us who have worked IT before know that S**T happens in this business that is almost completely unpredictable. I have never seen a rollout where there weren't unexpected problems. Just do your best Daybreak and if the time is too long feel free to toss toss us a bone. I know you are working hard so you have my gratitude at least.
    Oldetimer, ConsentRevoked and Rarthin like this.
  12. Fandiien Lorekeeper

I see Roxxlyy finally did an update 5 1/2 hours after his first update. Pretty poor ... heck extremely poor customer service and notification of what is going one. Typical daybreak not caring at all about their paying customer base.. you know the ones that pay the bills.

Roxxlyy try giving an update about ever half hour or so. that would at least give us some hope that you guys actually do give a darn about your customers.

You really would think that professional code writers and IT folks would know how to do actual tests before they put things on live servers. 11 houirs at this time for a patch update etc. I understand how things may be difficult, but when you actually do test patches these or most of these errors come to rise and you repair them before you put them to live servers.

Everyone knows stuff happens that is unforeseen when you put new coding into a program. That is understandable.... just give us some TIMELY updates not hours and hours later while folks are trying to decide "do I wait and see or just go off and do something else". As in any business... taking care of the customer is the first part and one of the most important parts of any business. We understand you may be working as diligently as possible to fix the problems... give us updates in an ongoing manner please.
  13. 123shamen New Member

i dont see how you say that when i watch my krono days . it dies exactly a month later same exact time i clicked it. if it worked its self out with patches it wouldnt end at same exact time.
  14. Rarthin New Member

Problem is the code and database architecture is so old that I doubt DB employs anyone that originally coded the game. It wouldn't be cost effective to keep them on staff just for patch days. Nobody uses the language or structure anymore. Its archaic and would require a damn near rebuild of the game which in itself would cost as much as making a new triple A title. Not going to happen

Not to mention the last time a patch went overdue someone pointed out that due to the old code and database, it is impossible to update EQ efficiently like games such as the latest Battlefield where the code has most likely been patched to the server and tested weeks if not a month before they send the command to activate the new code.

Alas the armchair game makers strike again. So entertaining to read the comments from people that have no idea what they are talking about.
    Pirlo and Ulain like this.
  15. Ulain Journeyman

Feel bad for programmers going through 20 years of code to find what got clogged up.

For those saying this should have been made aware of on Test, there is probably enough of a difference in infrastructure that caused an issue on Live. This also isn't exclusive to EverQuest; this has probably happened in just about every online game at some point, it doesn't mean anyone is incompetent.
    Oldetimer and Senu like this.
  16. Fandiien Lorekeeper

Rarthin, I totally understand the difficulties involved in coding that is extremely out of date and that issues happen.. My biggest beef with the folks at DB is their lack of updating. 5 1/2 hours between an update to let your customer base know or at least to have an idea of what is going on is very much out of line.
    I am sorry... but there is absolutely no excuse for poor customer service in business. That has nothing to do with the problems that may arise during an update patch.
  17. 123shamen New Member

you said it at SOME POINT not all the time. They break more then they fix
  18. Hayzee New Member

The game is only 20 years old, these are just teething problems.

It is pretty shameful that it is every time though.
  19. Quill Augur

Eh... for those of us who lived it, a patch day running long is #yawn compared to issues back in trilogy where the servers would melt down every night and you'd have a patch day for the patch day in between getting 1018'd off the servers.

This is light sprinkles in comparison to that hurricane.
    xmPradah likes this.
  20. DakotaxTZ New Member

They should hire the guy from the show "God Friended Me" He is a excellent Coder in the show LOL