EXP Nerf

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by ojier, Feb 20, 2019.

1. Syylke_EMarr Augur

Combat Abilities = spells for warriors/monks/etc
  2. Syylke_EMarr Augur

All of the penalties were removed a long time ago. They left the bonuses at that time, for some reason, until now.
    Yinla likes this.
  3. Bobokin Augur

As I recall, they actually gave the classes the bonuses at that time because the hybrids lost their penalty, and that was a back door nerf of sorts.
  4. Ulain Journeyman

Those haven't been in the game for like 13 years lol.

I am sad that they don't seem to be giving Humans the xp bonus. Other than aesthetics there doesn't seem to be much reason to play a human.
  5. Morthakia Augur

There isn’t much reason to play ANY of the classes besides aesthetics. Racial bonuses are minuscule or already given out to the other classes (troll/iksar regen, ogre frontal immunity, infravision, etc.). Other than picking a gnome for tinkering, I’m not sure there are any real differences amongst the races.
  6. Smokezz The Bane Crew

Alierris?
  7. Jhenna_BB Proudly Prestigious Pointed Purveyor of Pincusions

I think a lot of you have the intentions incorrect, in part. I'm no code expert but the Devs have been doing a lot of clean up on unnecessary math the game has to do and removing an integer that is quite legacy in nature is geared to make the game run more smooth.
  8. Herf Augur

Hopefully warriors don't lose more than a level or two when they adjust us for the XP nerf retroactively ;)
  9. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

The XP bonus was so insignificant, and the XP required to reach 110 so great, that you might lose 5% if they were crazy enough to do this.

This is a complete non-issue that some people convince themselves to get all huffed about.
  10. Morby Slacker

I do wonder how they are going to implement this, will they require halfings, warriors and rogues to gain more experience or boost other races to the halfling rates and the reason I wonder this is because I done a test copy on an 85 human SK I ended up at 87 almost 88 so that was nearly 3 levels gained so that leaves me to wonder will all non halfling races getting a sweet experience boost?

Free AA's for max levels?
  11. Piznut Angry Gnome

I think if they are going to nerf halfling bonus like this, then they should also remove the halfling food penalty. If you're going to remove benefits from races, then remove penalties too.
  12. kizant Augur

They've already explained that the conversion like that only happens when you test copy. You're going to keep all your experience and stay the same level you've always been. But now going forward some of you will gain a tiny bit less than you were. It's no big deal.
  13. Fanra https://everquest.fanra.info

I don't think everyone should get pick lock. I do strongly think that every door should have a key, even if it is time consuming to get it, it should be an option. At that point, rogues still have an ability no one else (except bards, who get everything) has, but everyone can get in the door if they make extra effort.
    Khat_Nip likes this.
  14. Dewey Augur

Those penalties were removed a long time ago. If they removed them now, it would instead give those classes an ex bonus.
  15. Dewey Augur

As for the EXP nerf. Sure take my exp bonus away, that was the only thing that was stopping me from becoming a gnome so that I could get tinker.

After that give me more DPS and give zerkers a mezz...
  16. yepmetoo Abazzagorath

1) Halflings had a 5% exp bonus, this was originally supposed to go to HUMANS and it was never corrected

2) Warriors and rogues had a 5% experience bonus

3) These bonuses stacked

4) Bonuses only existed (and penalties, way more penalties and bonuses) because some classes/races had a serious advantage over others, for *a game that was only intended to terminate at level 50*. This was a D&D bases character idea, where paying more experience could lead to a more powerful character, or paying less led to a faster finish but weaker character. This concept went out the door when the game was so popular, expansions started

5) Later on, all penalties were removed, because they were pointless, and the bonuses were left, so they wouldn't seem like they were nerfing.

6) Bonuses ONLY APPLY TO LEVEL EXPERIENCE, they do NOT apply to aa experience.

The only reason they are doing this is the TLP servers, and people racing to 50 or 60, where it is an unfair advantage when there is no longer any negatives to any race of any importance.
  17. Sheex Goodnight, Springton. There will be no encores.

[IMG]
  18. Ceffener Augur

I hope at the end of the day this ends up being true and we end up being able to sell items in bazaar for more than 2 million plat.
  19. Montag Augur

I don't think that's why they're doing it. I think they're just trying to clean up the messy code that does all manner of unnecessary math and wastes cpu cycles.

The way it was before, (making up numbers for simplicity) human monk might need, say, 100k exp to reach level fifty, while a troll SK would need 140k exp, and when grouped exp would be divided such that all players would gain roughly the same % of their total exp needed per kill. This meant that having a hybrid in your group meant you would be gaining exp slower.

So to fix that and remove the penalties they added code to manufacturer additional exp out of nowhere and apply it to each member of the group as their individual base exp rates required to keep things roughly in sync.

That's a lot of extra math happening over the years that doesn't need to exist.

But just like exp pots they have new more efficient code to apply bonuses so there isn't much reason not to add the bonuses back for the classes and race they were intended to.

It just doesn't make sense for humans to not get their long lost exp bonus when they were designed to be the generalist race that was adequate at everything but with no special abilities, like sneak, hide, forage, ultravision, tinkering, etc.
  20. Natal Augur

You probably don't know that all that was nerfed a while back. Those abilities are only useful if you are far from a mob, and basically don't work at all on higher level mobs, such as nameds and raid bosses.