If you're thinking of restarting

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by Silver-Crow, Jan 8, 2019.

1. Silver-Crow Augur

It's going to be interesting to see what the 2 new TLP servers have to offer, so for a complete fresh start it may be worth waiting for those.

Phinny however is the only TLP currently where you have Mercs unlocked which for a new start is pretty helpful. It really comes down to... can you face starting at classic all over again, or do you want to start in a more user friendly era... i.e. Bazaar, POK, Spells available from merchants, mercs, cultural armor etc.

FV is another busy server, which will attract some, but unless you have money to drop on Krono, you'll find most things completely out of your price bracket in the bazaar. The other issue is it's top heavy, so finding groups in the lower levels is tough. Phinny is the same in this respect, but you only have to level to 85 to play with everyone... not 110.

Oh and FV doesn't have pick zones or AOC's ;)
  2. Silver-Crow Augur

Forget Manglar and Selos… come to Phinny.
    It's far enough along to have mercs and 8-12 week unlocks give you plenty of time to relax.

XP is fast too, so this is the true casual server :)
  3. OldSchoolFS New Member

Just a few quick questions on phinny..

Do you start in your old home area and if not, is there an easy way to get there?

Are there any undesirable classes for end game? Like necro or wizard? They happen to be my favs.

Do outland zones like the karanas give less x than the newish common areas?

Lastly, I'll be starting at the end of the month. What are the chances of this server becoming a ghost town? I my self have no interest in either type they're releasing.

Thanks.
  4. Silver-Crow Augur

Default start is the glooming deep (crescent reach), but I think you have the option of the hometown start if you so desire. Travel is easy however between cities via the plane of knowledge.

There are no undesirable classes. Wizards especially are well respected in raiding circles.

xp (i'm assuming this is what x means) on Phinny is the same as live now.

there's zero chance Phinny will become a ghost town. Agnarr and Coirnav have both released post Phinny and the population is still healthy. The people on the server are there for the long haul. I won't lie, the lower levels are pretty bare, but with mercs and live xp rates it's a doddle to get to 85 and join in the fun. AA autogrant is also turned on, so you can just burn to 85 and have a good AA base.
  5. OldSchoolFS New Member

Yeah so. But I meant the zones. Like do you get just as much so in the karanas vs I dunno.. gloom deep?
  6. Silver-Crow Augur

As far as I know xp is the same as live... no matter the zone.
    The big benefit of Glooming Deep is that you come out of there with a decent set of armor which will do for quite some time. Sure it's no good for raiding, but with mercs to tank for you the glooming deep armor can easily take you to your 50's.
  7. Slikwilly New Member

I really missed out on everquests golden age, but thank God a game like this is still going. This is simply amazing. It's unique way of gameplay to me is mmorpg perfection. This is the blueprint. I've found the holy grail
    sleka likes this.
  8. Zufious New Member

I was going to start a toon, I forgot so much about this game. I get lost as to where to go haha. Would love a guild for a casual.
  9. OldSchoolFS New Member

Bout what level do you complete the area?
  10. Silver-Crow Augur

If you do everything in glooming deep, you'll be somewhere between level 8 and 10.
  11. internalprime8 Journeyman

I just started back up after many years away from the game. I made a Troll Berserker named Limace who is I think level 14 as of this post. I'm more of a casual player who quit around GoD originally but I missed the game so here I am. If there are any guilds out there that aren't just hard-core raiders looking for new members, let me know here or message me in game.
  12. Silver-Crow Augur

Welcome to Phinny Internal.

What I would recommend is look at www.phinnyprogress.com and you'll see the guilds clearing content in era. From there you can link to their home pages and see if they're right for you... time zone, ethos etc. Most I think welcome social members who don't raid.

It's worth also looking at the guilds back a few expansions too, as some have transferred from raiding guild to social guild with ad-hoc raids.
    internalprime8 likes this.
  13. internalprime8 Journeyman

Cool. I'll check it out. Thanks.
  14. Shanarias Augur

I know some things haven't changed on Live. Paludal is still insanely fast xp.
  15. HeHeHeGS New Member

Well you sold me.
    I have not played since the level cap was still 70, hes still over on Test but i wanted to play live.

lvl 12 Shaman on Phinny :)
  16. Lagerale Journeyman

IMO having started a player on Phinny recently this isn't anywhere near the EQ you missed out on. It's fun, the community on Phinny is great, but grouping at low levels is MUCH easier on Corivar (sp?) and that grouping is what EQ was. At low/mid levels on Phinny everyone has boxes or mercs (or both) and you hardly ever see anyone calling out for LFG unless it's a max or almost max player. Cor has constant lower/mid level groups being formed.

Again this isn't a shot at Phinny, I'm playing there currently (when the game comes back up lol) but until higher levels it's really a solo game unless you have a dedicated group.
  17. Silver-Crow Augur

Yep the pug game is pretty sparse just now, but to be honest it's pretty easy with mercs to get up to where you can group with people at the level cap.

You'll find that guild groups are where the game is now. Once you find the right guild, it's very easy to start a group, using mercs to pad things out. You'll find that people are more than happy to drop mercs to include guildies, so there always opportunities.

I don't know what the new servers will do, or what their final ruleset is, but even with selo's aggressive releases, it will take a year to get where phinny is now. The new servers are still a month away however, so now's a great time to even just try out phinny and see how you like it.
  18. Time Burn Augur

I'm guessing 70% of the characters are boxes. Truebox does very little.

But, solid post.
  19. Gana Augur

I would recommend staying the the tutorial killing the kobolds in the area around and past the Locksmith to farm staves (which sell for 4-5pp each) until you have a bit of plat built up. Spiritweavers and Plaguebearers (including Pox) drop them, but kill all the warriors that are placeholders for them (by Ruga...when you do Flutterwing's task).
  20. Panikker Elder

Want to start playing EQ again. I'm not a fan of boxing. I'm going to go single box style. Is single boxing play-style a bad thing on live servers?? I want to group and talk to different people and have a good time. I'm not looking for a fast way to level. BTW I would like to do mage or Bst. I'm a fan of the pet classes lol . (all but necro).