Rat Slapping: A Case Study

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by SweetLaxTho, Feb 14, 2019.

1. SweetLaxTho Elder

I couldnt find any explicit numerical value to the xp on any of the recent TLPs (though I maybe have missed it).

So I decided to get my hands dirty and slap some a_large_rat(s).

Mission: Derive a digestable understanding of the xp (mob kills) needed for the two upcoming TLPs in relation to recent TLP experiences.

Hypothesis: Due to Daybreaks immense insight into EQ and the labeling of "Hardcore" on Mangler. I hypothesize the more rats need to be slapped per level the harder it will become to slap aforementioned rats due to their increase "hardcoredness".

Results:

# of rats needed to reach L2

Ragefire: 12 slapped rats

Aggnar: 18 slapped rats

Corinav: 36 slapped rats

(I could be slightly off on any of these. The miscount could be largely attributed to the boring as nature of slapping rats and/or my ADD.)

What can we derive from this for Selos and Mangler?

Well Selos is said to have roughly twice the xp rate of ragefire. Where as Mangler is "the longest ever" or whatnot. Therefor:

Selos: 6 slapped rats

Wrangler: MINIMUM 37+ slapped rats.

Based off the above TLPs using rage as base xp the math is straightforward. RF=1 agg =1.5 and Corinav = 3. This would suggest that wranger xp could most likely fall in line with this suggesting that mangler will be a realistic minimum of 48 slapped rats with an upper bound of 72 slapped rats .

Final Results:

Selos: 6 slapped rats

Ragefire: 12 slapped rats

Mangler: 48 to 72 slapped rats.

Conclusion: My hypothesis was wrong. The rats level of hardcoredness did not increase with the number needed per level. They were just the same rats. (Perhaps DB can provide insight as to why this is so). I did however start to space out and become bored before leveling on Corinav. Ragefire felt very fast. Selos is going to be a effing jet pack. Corinav players need six times the amount of rats that Selos players will. Mangler players will likely need a minimum of EIGHT and perhaps need to kill TWELVE times as many rats as those rolling on selos. So there you have it. 8-12X speed difference between the servers. Wow.

TLDR: Selos XP is eight to twelves times faster than Manglers as currently constructed.
    Pirlo and Boze like this.
  2. Kahna Augur

Your math is faulty because Ragefire is already past GoD and has had EXP boosts applied. So it is no the same as it was in classic. It was basically Agnarr exp levels.
    ForumBoss likes this.
  3. Ahze Elder

Also, there is a max xp gain per mob cap. It will be more than 6 rats.
  4. SweetLaxTho Elder

Can you provide some numbers please
  5. SweetLaxTho Elder

How does this affect the xp correlation? We dont actually care about the L1 rats of course.
  6. Ahze Elder

I don't know the exact max % gain per kill, but I suspect the Ragefire number is close to the minimum number of kills per level.
  7. SweetLaxTho Elder

The rats are just used to show the xp relation across servers. IE corniav appears to take 3 times amount of mobs as RF at the current rates.
  8. Ahze Elder

I think I see what you are getting at. My reply is off topic. Sorry.
  9. Kahna Augur

DBG said Agnarr was the same exp level as RF/LJ. Agnarr has never made it to the initial exp boost which occurs in GoD. Therefor Agnarr is as close to what RF/LJ were when they started. Those are the only facts I know, I don't care enough about either server to attempt to do any research.
  10. HoodenShuklak Augur

A rat by any other name would smell as sweat.
  11. SweetLaxTho Elder

The Selo Server will be a "fast" or "casual" Progression Server. This means that gaining experience will be much easier, with experience nearly double that of Ragefire or Lockjaw when the server launches. Additionally, instances can be reused more often, rares are more likely to spawn, and faction is earned more quickly.

This appears to say that it is current RF to me? When the servers launches is referring back to Selos launching. Not "Double the xp when ragefire had it its launch". However if we do use agnarr rates as suggested by Kahna then the rats would be.

Selos: 9 rats

Agnarr: 18 rats

Corinav: 36 rats

Mangler: 48-72 rats.

So selos would be 5x-8x faster than mangler if they meant aggnar/RF launch xp and 8-12x faster if daybreak was reffering to RF xp as wel what RF xp is currently.
  12. SweetLaxTho Elder

13. Kahna Augur

They were referring to what it was, they have always classed them together as what they were originally, and every TLP server goes through upgrades in the exp at the same stages, those stages are built into the TLPs.
  14. SweetLaxTho Elder

Do you have any idea if DB has ever compared RF/LJ rates to the live rate? That would help give some additional perspective to any players used to live in their decision.

Its truely remarkable even w aggnar as the base if I had to guess I believe the slider is set at 54 rats and we are looking at one server that is operating at six times the mob kills of the other.

I think this information is important for players digest the time commitment difference in leveling on one vs the other and frankly just fun to figure out since we never get clear numbers.
  15. HoodenShuklak Augur

People don't really care about how many rats it is, they care about how many it feels like.

If it feels like a lot, more people leave.
  16. malaki Augur

Also as a thing nearly double doesn't mean literally double. It could be 150 percent or it could be 195 percent or whatever.
  17. Lankie Augur

If double = 6 rats. Nearly double = 7 rats. It science yo.
  18. Master Kahleem Augur

Corrected math below, and a more applicable use-case for people who care about this sort of thing:

Selos: 12 slapped rats

Mangler: 36++ (unknown currently, but "slower" than any other TLP).

What does this mean for normal players who don't give a crud about evencon rats?

1 evencon rat at level 1 == 11.11% exp on Selos. However, EXP caps at 9% on TLPs from what i've seen and 15% on live-FV, so we have to kill 12 rats to go from 1 to 2 on Selos. As levels increase cons give considerably less exp per kill.

This means as you kill yellow-con mobs as you level you're going to slowly eat away at the "cap", but on Selos this "slowdown" will take considerably longer. You most likely won't notice it until your 20s or 30s.

With that said, it took the fastest leveling team roughly 16 hours to reach level cap in Classic era on Agnarr (level 50 cap).
  19. a_librarian Augur

Rat slap fever
    Rat slap fe ver

*heavy guitar riff*
  20. HoodenShuklak Augur

I make the purr with the slap of my hand
    They know they gettin slaps from me