Can we just get rid of Truebox by now?

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Master Kahleem, Feb 13, 2019.

1. Master Kahleem Augur

Every community has its bad apples. I feel like originally very vocal minorities who had bad experiences with multiboxers, who didn't understand what boxing was, is where Trueboxing came from.

Now, when i see a thread about a TLP or trueboxing in any way, I'm seeing a large majority of posters actually giving Truebox some extreme shade.

Leave it on the servers that were launched with them, but can we stop adding it to new servers going forward? This goes for Selos and Mangler....both casual and hardcore community has plenty of multiboxers.

I'm just tired of having to have 1 physical machine for each client. I could multibox back in 2000 when my family had 3 machines. Now i have a lot more money, and technical expertise. It's just unnecessary frustration for the community.

Thanks, love ya'll :)!
    ForumBoss, Pirlo, Umul and 2 others like this.
  2. TLP Addict Augur

Nope, leave it in.

It places a financial and technical hurdle that helps prevent recent TLPs being completely overrun and dominated by box crews.

The box crews we already have are more than enough, at least while they are the minority and most prefer to hide their activities they are easy to avoid.

Take trubox away and the numbers will explode and anyone that plays a single or even 2 chars will be severely impacted.

Get a software kvm to make playing across multiple machines easier if you haven't already.

Synergy and Multiplicity are a couple that get mentioned often.
    sleka, Dragon Jockey, FubarEQ and 6 others like this.
  3. Evade Augur

Doesnt multiboxing allow for a single player to farm camps that would normally take a group? If I wanted to solo, I'd go back to WoW or play a necro
    SweetLaxTho, andross77 and Ulain like this.
  4. Darchon_Xegony Augur

Trueboxing should be removed from Phinigel now that mercenaries are in game.

On other servers it should probably remain in game until SoD unlocks.

For the two new servers maybe set one of them to not be Truebox.
    Gana, Owch, Umul and 1 other person like this.
  5. jeskola pheerie

All this does is prevent people like me with weird playtimes and playing out of the house a lot from playing more than 1 character. Big boxers siting at home that want to monopolize group camps still do it with things like you mentioned.

Truebox is not the big problem solver some perceive it as. Group camps are still 6box camped. Raids have AOCs so who cares if big boxers do them.
    Pirlo, Umul and Yinla like this.
  6. Kittany Augur

It's not the Truebox code that's the problem. It's those who feel they can't play EQ any other way but to box. Now, again. I have stated repeatedly. I'm NOT against those who box. In fact, on the servers where it's permitted, so do it to your heart's content.

But, that so-called 'vocal minority' that you speak of? Not so minority. I can't speak for others, but I know how to multi-box. Both with software and hardware. I understand the challenges of both setting it up and running it. It's an added layer of complexity to make the game thousands of times easier.

I have said in previous threads about my displeasure of multiple box (Not talking 2 or 3) teams running on a Truebox server. When I came back to EQ, I started on the Ragefire server. The multibox teams there ran rampant during the early days. They controlled the camps, the economy and the raid scene. Krono farming was also rampant. So, to combat these few, more and more multi box teams started showing up. It basically became a toxic arms race.

So, DBG's came up with the solution of the TrueBox code. It's design was to help curb that behavior. However, there are those who feel it is their right to circumvent the code and disrespect the rules, the code and the spirit of the server by doing it anyways. So, if you want to play on a fresh TLP where everybody can box to their heart's content. By all means. Just be prepared to deal with all the *ahem* that will come along with unregulated boxing.
  7. Master Kahleem Augur

I mean, as it stands I plan to 6-box again on Selos. I have 6 PC's that I have setup in a wedge formation specifically for playing EQ truebox servers. It's just scuffed and annoying to deal with. I can't play as long as I used to because of how frustrating it is to keep spinning in a 90 degree angle between several machines constantly.

It's annoying, and tiring, but i'm still going to do it as are quite a few hundred other people. It just doesn't make sense anymore. It's clear Truebox is just toxic in and of itself.

Lastly, I do believe it is a vocal minority crying about boxers.
    Gorgol the Ogre and Umul like this.
  8. Ulain Journeyman

This is a troll, right? People are "crying" about boxers but it's okay for you to whine about HAVING to play with 6 PCs and that it's inconvenient to spin around to play them all? If you're that antisocial and desperate to box, why not just play on a live server? Nobody is forcing you to play on a truebox.
  9. a_librarian Augur

What they actually need to do is enforce their rules and ban bots and VM users. People that want to cheat and bypass the rules can do so right now, and they use that ability to dominate camps for high value drops and farm enormous amounts of plat using bots.
    SweetLaxTho likes this.
  10. Kittany Augur

I mean all this in jest, but this was the first thing that popped into my head when I read your post:

A mobster who complains that his hand is all busted up because he repeatedly punched a store owner who refused to pay the protection money. (Tried to find the movie clip, but alas, my google-fu fails me).

And apart of me really does want to say something snarky like: It's your choice to circumvent the code. You do so accepting the annoyances and troubles that it brings and have no right to complain.

But the nice person is me would just simply say: There are other servers to play on that would be easier for you to box on. :p
    Ulain likes this.
  11. jeskola pheerie

You do realize there are 23 Everquest servers active at the moment, and only 3 of those are Truebox, right?
  12. SweetLaxTho Elder

I think truebox is the single best change - by a mile - that DB has implemented since RF/LJ.
    sleka, Dragon Jockey, FubarEQ and 6 others like this.
  13. Umul Augur

Top 3 moves DBG has ever made for TLP servers.

1. AOCs
    2. AOCs
    3. Made Mangler into Ragefire 2.0 with AOC's

Imagine the tears of sorrow if they made treubox but there were no instances? There would be the same complaining as on RF/LJ Lol.

Instead of the bad mage army took my Hamlord camp, it would be the bad raid guild took my Hamlord camp with their alts. But Truebox is good marketing, it sells subs.
  14. Kittany Augur

I was more specifically speaking of the TLP servers. :p
  15. Master Kahleem Augur

There's a thread of more than 200 posts so far that outnumbers you by quite a large margin. So my point still stands that you're in the minority friend.
  16. Evade Augur

Its easier just to make 5 friends... and a lot cheaper.

6 computers and 6 accounts... simply to bypass needing groups? Wtf is wrong with you lol
    Ulain, TheRedBandit and SweetLaxTho like this.
  17. Lakeland Lorekeeper

Real casuals don’t post on forums, most casuals don’t want six boxers destroying everything in a zone. You can’t take what’s on forums only and say “that’s gospel” because people that post on here aren’t your true casuals.

True box is great, not having it can ruin the game for others, having it can only bother people that can’t box easily.
    Dragon Jockey and SweetLaxTho like this.
  18. BarknBite New Member

There are a large number of people that like to box, myself included. While I would never advocate getting rid of Truebox entirely like the OP, is it really too much to ask to get a boxer friendly TLP-server once every few years? With the announcement of these two servers, that is now 5 Truebox servers in a row with AoC's. Those of us that want to box on one computer have no servers with AoC's from which to choose. Some of us boxers like the TLP experience and like to box on one computer.

Those of you who are on your anti-boxing holy crusade have plenty of servers to play on in various stages of Progression. Those of us who want to box on one computer and stay within the rules of the various servers only have the choice of servers in Depths of Darkhollow or live. There should be plenty of room for all play types with as many servers as they pump out.
  19. Trox2010 Augur

While boxers have never bothered me; I've always "true-boxed" 2 PCs if I decide to play a box, you can easily gets some $10 USB Num-Pads that can handle 90% of what you would need your boxes to go. Set your monitors up right and you would be looking ahead as if at 1 PC the entire time.

EDIT: I honestly wouldn't care if the Magnler a full box server; if they upgrade it to be more casual friendly, since then getting more picks of certain zones will be easier. If they leave it True-Box no real skin off my back since again I've always only true boxed two characters anyways (easier that way as far as I'm concerned).
  20. Lion of God Elder

I would be content if they set a 3 box limitation per PC/Player.
    xmPradah, kjempff and Trox2010 like this.