Players don't know what they want. Don't change Selos DBG.

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Phinius, Feb 13, 2019.

1. Phinius Elder

Selos is a nearly perfect incarnation of EQ TLP. This is a CLASSIC case of players not knowing what they want. Players ALWAYS ask for increased lock out times, and players always get bored, quit, and complain about them later.

1 Month lock outs may sound fast....but you're always going to be logging in excited about having something to do. And please look at the expansion schedule guys:

The Ruins of Kunark
    The Scars of Velious
    The Shadows of Luclin - MARCH
    The Planes of Power - MAY
    The Legacy of Ykesha
    Lost Dungeons of Norrath
    Gates of Discord - AUGUST
    Omens of War - SEPTEMBER
    Dragons of Norrath - OCTOBER
    Depths of Darkhollow - NOVEMBER
    Prophecy of Ro - DECEMBER
    The Serpent's Spine - JANUARY

• You've got 6 weeks of Luclin.
    • You've got 3 months of PoP at level 65. LoY and LDoN literally don't matter and serve as great additional buffer time in the golden age of EQ.
    • You've got only 1 month in GoD, historically when most people quit the game.
    • You've got 2 months in Omens at level 70. DoN is EZCLAP.
    • You've got 2 months in DoDh + PoR at level 70. PoR is great side content, but not really a full on expansion.
    • BOOM January 2020 we're in TSS. We've played through a ton of awesome content in a reasonable amount of time.
    This is what you want guys. You just don't know it until they try it. Stop your complaining and try something new instead of repeating history over and over again.
    kjempff, ch0rny, eepok and 14 others like this.
  2. Renshu Augur

Thanks for posting this. Not everyone seems to be analyzing all of the data, many are just solely looking at unlock length and not how it will play out.
    TheRedBandit and Phinius like this.
  3. Mr Nobody Elder

It seems the feedback on Selo has shifted. Most like the ruleset and don't want it changed. I don't think the community is confused regarding Selo. A few comments about making the lockouts 6-8 weeks is all I am hearing...otherwise it seems most like it as is. For those that want classic start, fixing Mangle could be their solution.

I think most of the complaining is about Mangle.
  4. TheRedBandit Elder

Honestly, im really excited for Selo. I can see maybe 6 weeks for some of the slower people to be able to raid a little, but i definitely am not gonna complain about fast xp and long stretches of the best content being relevant/crappy content being gone quickly. Glad you articulated this in a separate post, too many threads to put it on individually.
    Thalliius and Phinius like this.
  5. FIsh Lips Augur

I agree, they should leave Selo's as is, branded as a hardcore race server. I think it is perfect at that. But at the same time I disagree, we (casuals) DO know what we want, we just do not want the same things or want them the same way. Which is when sensible people poll the audience and try to examine desired features and prioritize. They need to re-consider what it means to be casual, and produce that server. Mangler... well put it out of its misery or let it run for a month to see it fail, I don't care about it one bit, it's total junk as far as I'm concerned.

I would be willing to try a version of Selo's if they just greatly increased the drop rate and removed keys. As a casual that would give me enough to try it out (throw out TrueBox so I can finally reduce some heat and clutter in my house, consider FV rules so I can gear up my alts, and it'd be 100%). I would call this a "casual live catch up server", and I can be excited for that. I would probably maintain a presence on that server long after it reached live, even if other TLPs caught my eye.

They could also do an SoL starting, fast xp/fast faction server on 3 month unlocks and normal raid timers. That would be pretty casual, although not as interesting to me personally since it's basically what I have on Coirnav, but 1-2 expacs behind. Since I'm established on Coirnav, it's not clear that I'm gaining anything, but for those that are ready to start fresh, it could work.

They could do the same as above but start in Classic. I wouldn't touch it for money, but there it is. Not very exciting, but casual.

There are other definitions of casual that any of what I wrote would not satisfy, but they could also consider. There are also other interesting server ideas that are totally unlike any of the above they could try out. What I want to encourage and make sure is abundantly clear to whoever up there makes decisions: I like that you are trying to innovate with this server, and do something totally unique. I have asked for that, others have as well. We're tired of the TLP formula. But you cannot do this naively without understanding the game. You can't just control 3 knobs and apply a label, you need to understand your game. You believe you made an ultra-casual server, you actually made an ultra-hardcore server: do you understand why? If you do not, you cannot fix it.

Of course the more cynical version of me believes they know exactly what they're doing, and already know what they're going to counter-offer, and hoping that by contrast, we will be happy. It didn't work in WoW, see the great flying debacle. I will never play that game again.
  6. Yonson Lorekeeper

Selos would be excellent if I quit my job, divorced my wife and dropped my dog off at the animal shelter. Then I would have enough time to play this casual server...

And before people say you can play at your own pace you don't have to do things in era, you're right I don't but if not being current with gear and not having people to group with at a similar level wasn't an issue I'd just go play one of the live servers...
  7. Fumi-chan Augur

The issue is branding, Selo will be a fun server as a hardcore race server. It's not remotely casual. Mangler needs to be the casual server, bump the XP rate and call it a day.

It's likely too close to launch to make sweeping changes but hopefully the team is focusing their attention on making sure Mangler isn't DOA. Selo will likely have a booming population even with current ruleset. Mangler needs help.
    FubarEQ and chumpy like this.
  8. Mr Nobody Elder

lmao
  9. Evade Augur

This server was created solely for the casual player. As a casual player, I can tell you I have zero interest in this server and will be cancelling my sub if things don’t change. I only get 2 hours of playtime max per day. That’s 14 hours per week, 56 hours a month. Is 56 hours enough time to 1. Level to max in luclin, acquire AAs, Obtain my epic, key all current zones, raid and complete most bosses before PoP hits?

If answer is No then server is a fail and needs to change.

If daybreak is really catering this server to the casual then I need the following
    1. Classic start
    2. Increased exp/rare spawns
    3. 4 month min per expansion
    4. Truebox

I haven’t played EQ for 18 years. I have no issue cancelling my sub and finding another game. It’s really up to daybreak to decide if they want my money
    Lakeland and SweetLaxTho like this.
  10. DarkIslandia New Member

See this is how I viewed Selos as well. I will be playing on the Selos server as, most but not all, guilds will be slowing down progression so their members can see everything. I do agree that Mangler needs to be worked on. No one wants the xp to be worse then Coirnav. I have played there and good gosh i dont know how half of you xp'd back in 99 but it must have been hell. lol Maybe if we compile a list for the devs of each progression server and our thoughts on them (what should have been done or changed) then they will see how they should change those things on Mangler. Keep Selos as is. They wont read it if its just a whining thread, they need specifics since they are reviewing what we are typing. Trust me.
  11. Evade Augur

Selo doesn’t appeal to a majority of players. Here’s what will happen... a bunch of hardcore raiding guilds will swamp the server making it feel packed at first. However this will only last a few months as one guild will quickly establish itself as the top guild. The rest of the guilds will pack their bags and head back to their old servers. Without all these guilds, and without casuals, Selo will quickly become a ghost town like most other servers.
    Lakeland and Sethiroth like this.
  12. Dmitry Elder

This is an excellent post if they count those minor updates as full expansions. I think in the past they have not. I think you make an excellent point if indeed those minor expansions slow things down then Selos will be great for the content eating guilds.
    Phinius likes this.
  13. Mr Nobody Elder

A lot of people agree Mangel needs fixing. Is just tweaking xp rate enough? FV loot rules are befitting the 20th Anniversary!
  14. Bolten_DA Augur

Thank you for posting this. I laughed pretty hard when I read it!

Not everyone will be ready for PoP when Luclin finishes. I would think by the time PoP, Ldon, Loy are just about done everyone will be on a more level playing field.
    Yonson likes this.
  15. Dmitry Elder

It feels like there are two large fast guilds and both are heading to Selos. Smaller guilds that are also looking for raiding will do Selos for the short lockout timers and the leveling curve. Casuals will do Selos because it's easier to level.

I am really not sure who will go to Mangler.
    Thalliius likes this.
  16. Barathrum Augur

We want FV rule set and additional month for level increases or just an additional month... YOUR WRONG
  17. Bolten_DA Augur

you're wrong! See what I did there!
    Lakeland, Barathrum and Renshu like this.
  18. Polekn Augur

No we don't.
    Thalliius, Mestops12 and Yinla like this.
  19. Groans Augur

You are not speaking for me, maybe speak for yourself.
    Lakeland and BlargBlargBlarg like this.
  20. Evade Augur

Except Selo wasn’t intended for content eating guilds, but ultra casual players.
    Lakeland likes this.