Constructive feedback on Mangler and Selo

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Risiko, Feb 12, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Xylonite Journeyman

Looking forward to Selos, as many others say the only changes I'd like personally is for a longer unlock time.

Will either be starting or hopefully joining an EU guild on the server
  2. Chuuk Augur

As you all are saying - I think they got the unlock timers backwards. Hardcore folks want to blur thru the game at ludicrous speed. Casuals, err, I mean, "ultra" casuals, want to flounder around doing gnoll fang quests and tradeskills on their 7 alts and still be relevant in 3 months. The last thing casuals want is for the game to progress away from them.

If you really want the "hardcore" players to go to a server, give it 1-month or instant (upon boss death) unlocks. Hardcore =/= masochist.

Selos's will be very interesting though - unlocking at SoL. If for nothing else, hardcore guilds will ALL go to Selo's to play around with the new game mechanic of having the ability to raid Khati but not being decked out in SoV gear - plus the speedy unlocks.
    snailish likes this.
  3. yerm Augur

Every tlp has people screaming for longer unlocks and every tlp has many of these same people quitting the servers before hitting 75 (where those unlocks stop feeling so long).

Non-classic start and single month unlocks are what make selo stand out as a fresh and innovative new tlp. This is an opportunity to see the new content many of us have not seen since maybe combine, maybe early 2000s, or maybe never seen in era at all. Not delve into it, or become engrossed in every last side quest, or grind amd grind and grind for months to get bis before moving on... and that's ok!

Whatever else is heard and adjusted, PLEASE do not remove either the post-classic start or the fast unlock timers. Making it velious instead of luclin or making it upon death of end raid mob instead of 1mo, ok, fine. Making it classic start or 2+ month expansions? Please take that to mangler. That is where the players who want to grind out every last quest and bis their chars and other hardcore ambitions (whether or not they care to admit they are hardcore) are congregating. All the best to them. Don't ruin selo.
  4. Polekn Augur

Please do not listen to vocal minority and do not make any radical changes to Selo ruleset. I month is about an ideal unlock timer for the ruleset. Mangler does need of work, that server is DOA unless you do some big changes.
    Thalliius and Haeldar like this.
  5. Stewgottz Augur

They should not make any changes to Selo. The work is the other server. It looks they fleshed out one idea for a server and mailed in the other.
    Thalliius, Haeldar and Yinla like this.
  6. Thalliius Augur

Casual players with limited play time do not want to play the Classic - Velious all over again for a year before reaching Luclin on slow XP

People are hilarious, they treat the casual player base like they’re complete trash and their wants/needs don’t matter. Hardcore is starting in classic, like so many people waxed poetically about for the last several weeks. Hardcores have a ton of extra time to play, so what makes you think that casual features that are designed to lower the time commitment and make things easier are Hardcore? On what planet does that make sense?

This is EXACTLY what I predicted would happen. You have a bunch of people that want to flex their thinking they’re tough and hardcore, but in reality they want this game super easy.
    Grogak and Yinla like this.
  7. Thalliius Augur

6 month unlocks, are you insane? It would take 2 years just to get to Luclin. 6 months in classic with basically only LGuk and the Hole to hunt in for half a year?

The majority of players would burn out an quit before Kunark even got there. The ones who did make it to Kunark would never make it to Velious.

They’ve done the classic start a hundred times and they setup Mangler to be a classic start as well, so there is your server.
    Haeldar and Renshu like this.
  8. Risiko Augur

You're comparing apples with oranges here. On 1k plat on Agnarr is not worth 1k plat on FV. You can sell 1 krono on FV for over 3 million plat. A fungi tunic for around 10% of a krono is not bad at all. In fact, I would argue that it is extremely cheap.
  9. Elite_raider Augur

I can only speak for my self, but I used to raid allot when I was younger (started the game in 99), I came back for a baut on a TLP late in and raided in a "casual" guild, 3/4 nights a week.

The reason why people leave before 75 had nothing to do with slow unlocks, but every thing to do with having to dedicate 3/4 nights a week in hopes of getting any raid loot and on top of that time for XP. It's just not viable for anyone with a family and a job.

To keep and to get back old hard core raiders that love the game, but have to balance a family life, you need to make raids accessible with less time input. Higher XP helps, but reducing the numbers needed to raid so that the amount of loot is divided on a lower number of players is the only way to get this demographic. And personally I would love to start in classic and I am pretty sure potentially "new/old" customers like me would love to start in classic as well.
  10. Ceffener Augur

I don’t understand the “casuals don’t care about being behind” argument. Yes the servers will have faster XP than classic, but is is 12x faster? Did casually BIS everything in era? No, but if you played an hour a day you had 365 hours for an expansion, not 30...obviously you got much further. For PoP we had 2-3 years given how crushing GoD was to the playerbase at the time.

Also the dynamics were different, majority of players did not start playing March 16th, 1999. The game had a playerbase that was growing, not declining. You had constant grouping at all levels, not a top end heavy server that TLPs quickly become. People are saying that PoP/LoY/LDON should be bundled as one, so in 3 months when a new player is 100’s of AA and 70 levels behind, that faster (lower than live and no mercs) XP rate is supposed to make it easy for them to catch up? Solo? If you have 0 interest in playing with other people than let’s at least be honest and just call Test the “Ultra-Casual” server.

Selo is fine, I agree don’t touch it. But it’s fine for the hardcore players.

You promised the casual players something this time though! Selo 2.0 with 3-4 month unlocks is probably the best idea that takes the least amount of resources.

You can debate truebox/FV/whatever, but DBG showed their ideas. So let’s conpromise and have something within the rulesets they wanted.
    snailish, Sethiroth and Jontrann like this.
  11. Thalliius Augur

It’s only perceived that way by a tiny percentage of the population that think it’s an actual race to beat all the content. Racing is not the goal Selos, that is just a goal that the hardcore are setting for themselves so they can feel good about themselves beating a field of people that aren’t competing in their little race. They aren’t handing out medals for winning some progression race, there are no Krono prizes or recognition of any kind by DBG, so to call Selos a race server is not correct. It’s just the Try Hards trying to turn it into one. The only prize you get for “winning” the race is the harsh reality that you have no life and spend way too much time on this game

Honestly I don’t think it will impact more normal players. Let the Try Hards raid every single day and burn themselves out trying to keep up with the unlocks. The vast majority of people will be playing and enjoying the game. Getting fast XP which for me will mean more Alts.. they likely view this server as a more long term life server, they aren’t going to hitch their wagons to the Try Hards and expect them to keep this serving vibrant, most of them will burn out raiding and then start spamming the forums demanding a new TLP where they can start their little “race” all over again
    Grogak likes this.
  12. Ceffener Augur

Most people seem fine with Selo, they just want the casual server that was promised also.
    snailish and Ponak like this.
  13. Allizarx Journeyman

It seem's like Selo's is actually the hardcore server with faster experience.

Guild progression on selos:

Level up from 1 and work on some AA as a guild (1-2 weeks depending on playtime) (casual right?)

Work on VT key, a few seru keys and Emp ssra keys (1-2 weeks depending on playtime)

Backtrack to classic for important items and spells such as cleric/bard epics, divine intervention, BoC's, Torpor, Malo, plus getting remove curse in Luclin etc. etc.

Try to gear up...oh wait PoP already released and even if your guild went fairly hardcore, you are still half geared and need to overcompensate and use the double lockouts to raid even harder to catch up on gear.

Any casual guild on Selo's will be constantly scrambling to keep up with progression, 1 month is not enough time unless you:
    a) remove key quests
    b) give an initial time boost for Luclin
    c) revert to standard 8/12 week releases or something like 6/10
    or
    d) Bring your hardcore guild to Selo's since it is the real hardcore server and use it for double lockouts and fast expansion releases.
    e) Fall an expansion or two behind, but you could just do that on a normal server.

You will need to raid 4+ days a week to keep up
    TimeBreak likes this.
  14. Jontrann Augur

Exactly, all they have to do is copy the selo's ruleset, paste it on mangler and give it 3/4 month expansion unlocks and bam you're casual players will be happy.
    Haeldar, snailish and Ponak like this.
  15. Thalliius Augur

You forgot to mention switching Selos to Classic start and Mangler to Luclin.

I certainly don’t want to start over on Classic and have to play like that for almost a year before getting Luclin/Nexus Spires

Everything else I agree with
  16. Sennik Jevest Elder

Selos - Add FV loot and 6-8 week unlocks.

Mangler - Dumpster fire.
  17. Darchon_Xegony Augur

For Selo:

Add FV loot code - This is a fast progression server, FV loot code makes sense because it allows you to pass on no drop gear rather than destroying it. On a server that will spent so little time in each expansion, it makes sense to allow hand-me downs so you aren’t having to revisit old expansions to gear up and can continually look ahead. People have AoCs and pickzones, it won’t be a big issue with people locking out gear to sell as you can always roll your own raids or pick to a different pick or move to a different zone to find a camp.

Relabel this the hardcore server - Fast unlocks are hardcore for people who spend a lot of time consuming content and quickly want to move onto the newest content.

For Mangler:

Rename it Miragul - Mangler is an obscure pick. Choose a more recognizable name.

Match the EXP rate for Agnarr or Selo - Casual players don’t play as often and need to be able to level and AA up within a timeframe that is acceptable for each expansion.

Relabel this the casual server - slower unlocks are for casuals.
    Gremin, snailish and chumpy like this.
  18. Elite_raider Augur

When bards play the selos song, do they race along or casually stroll?
  19. Risiko Augur

Starting in anything other than classic on a TLP server is a 100% deal breaker for many people. You miss the true essence of EverQuest if you do not get to play through classic, Kunark, and Velious in era.

Starting in Shadows of Luclin:
    • Makes 99% of the epics worthless
    • Removes any chance to get a pre-nerf Dark Elf illusion mask usable by all classes
    • Removes any chance to get a pre-nerf Circle of Shadow
    • Removes any chance to get a Mana Robe
    • Removes any chance to get Gnome Illusion mask, Monk robe, or Sceptre of Destruction
    I get that some want to start in Shadows of Luclin, but it certainly is not the majority of those people that play at the start of most TLP servers.

Classic, Kunark, and Velious are the main reasons that most people play on TLP servers.

That's why I agree that the Selo server should start in Luclin and the Mangler server start in Classic. That way those few people that want to by pass the best parts of EverQuest's history can start on the Selo server where they will be on a Live server in less than 2 years while those who enjoy the roots of EverQuest can play on Mangler and spend the majority of their time in the early expansions that they love so much.
  20. omgomg Lorekeeper

selo's ruleset with classic start and 2 month unlocks, absolutely fantastic
    Grogak, Toraman and Risiko like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.