Little gem found in the Test patch notes

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Soliman, Feb 12, 2019.

1. Soliman New Member

More fun for today...from the Test server patch notes:

"Removed some legacy experience code so that experience-per-level is now uniform for all races/classes. Warriors, Rogues, and Halflings will no longer gain experience faster than other classes/races."

Discuss.
  2. Gyurika Godofwar Augur

It was minimal so it won't make a huge impact outside of the TLP servers which is probably why it was changed. The game is so easy today compared to 1999 that XP flows like water. It's not hard to make up that difference by killing faster or doing more quests etc.
  3. Barton The Mischievous

It was a nice little bonus but not game breaking either way
    Gyurika Godofwar likes this.
  4. code-zero Augur

I once experimented with a halfling warrior in a group. He seemed to level about 20~25% faster than other characters but I dumped the experiment before he was much past level 20 though. I also experimented with the Iksar armor class bonus about the same time too and found that at low levels it was very nice
  5. Addikeys Elder

Recently, a dev said "we don't have enough people" when discussing the reasons we didn't get various things (ie new aas and spells) in the full priced TBL expansion. I find it irritating that someone spent any seconds on this. If it was a de minimis benefit, then why bother? If it only took a few minutes to do, then what was (or will be) sacrificed as a result. Also, will there be bugs related to it that might need to be fixed later? How much time will that take away from whatever else needs to be done? Who knows? TLP has been going on for years now so not sure why this is a priority now, Selo and Mangler or whatever, notwithstanding. I gotta believe there are a lot more pressing matters ahead here: https://dgcissuetracker.com/secure/Dashboard.jspa?selectPageId=11500
  6. Tarvas Redwall of Coirnav, now Drinal

A dev was probably sitting at their desk during their "break" and stumbled across this while randomly pursing some data on something more pressing. That is typically how older stuff that ain't "important" get "fixed" in my experience.
  7. Brohg Augur

My decadeS old main character is directly effected by this unmitigated nerf.

I do not care even one little bit and can't imagine why OP thought it was worth a thread to discuss.
  8. svann Augur

Halflings had it coming. Pie stealers every one.
    Kleitus_Xegony, Quatr and Pirlo like this.
  9. Waring_McMarrin Augur

I am guessing this was done as part of work to clean up code and help improve the performance of the game since this is no longer a check that needs to be made based on the class/race of the player.
    Barton likes this.
  10. Addikeys Elder

Not likely given the layoffs, scheduling crunches, expansion development, and unending bug fixes. Their time is precious and I hate to see it spent on something so trivial. This was thought out and took some amount of time to do. I wish they would stop wasting time taking things away from players (as minor as this is) and focus on anything else to better the game.
  11. Addikeys Elder

I hope that is the case, but it is suspicious timing with the new TLP servers and their experience rules.
  12. kizant Augur

It's a good likely very simple change. Don't be silly.
  13. Captain Video Augur

In all probability, two lines of code to check for those few race/class special cases, that was getting executed on Every. Single. XP. Calculation. in the entire game. The change is consistent with performance enhancement tweaks the devs have been adding in for many months now. The original race/class XP distinctions were a throwback to AD&D rules that modern fantasy MMORPGs could care less about anyway.

I thought the "little gem" subject line was referring to the belated addition of TBM and EoK to the F2P list on live servers. *lol*
    Pirlo and Waring_McMarrin like this.
  14. Addikeys Elder

No clue if you're right, but given the fact that the new luck stat was introduced creating exponentially more calculations than just two experience calculations, it seems like the "savings" from this change is infinitesimal comparatively.

Also, no clue if it was just two lines of code that could have been done on someone's break, but I've seen plenty of dev posts stating that changing 20 year old code can have significant repercussions and take significant time. I've also seen dev posts stating that what people think are simple changes often are complicated and time consuming.

If this is just more "performance enhancement tweaks," then when are we going to see that? Serious question, but have there been any noticeable differences on the player side? Anecdotally, I've been encountering lag for months.
  15. Xyroff-cazic. Director of Sarcasm

The new Mangler TLP server is going to have an adjusted (greater than normal) xp loss for deaths. Normalizing xp numbers between all class/race combinations seems to be a logical first step for those calculations.
  16. Syylke_EMarr Augur

I honestly thought they had done away with all these differences a long time ago. There's no need for them anymore.
  17. So Happy Augur

Once again they fix something that isn't broken.
  18. Cleaver Augur

anyone complaining about this it probably took a few minutes to change. Likely just a few lines of code that needed to be commented out or removed.
  19. Newb Tank Not so Newb

Ugh, your posts always make me care less and less for your posts.
  20. Addikeys Elder

Now, you might care one little bit because if you are one or both combinations (class/race), you will lose a chunk of experience if this goes live as is--unless your time is worthless....

Here is the thread: https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq...2019-new-bugs-only.254347/page-2#post-3748795

If you care about the devs wasting time on this and now a fix, then you may also care one little bit--again if you think their time is worthless....