Casual players gravitating towards Mangler?

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Ghost Of Fippy, Feb 12, 2019.

1. Umul Augur

The very vast majority of guilds do not raid on lockout. They raid on set days of the week. The guilds who raid on lockout will love this server. I'll probably play it over Mangler just cause slow xp and truebox are not my thing. I was under the impression the other server of these 2 would be a landing spot for players who fell off the Hardcore server. Guess I was wrong there.
    code-zero likes this.
  2. code-zero Augur

Umm how do you fall off of Selo? Is that like falling through the world and having to petition a GM to come get you out?
  3. Garwin Lorekeeper

Okay so now you're just trolling.
  4. Evade Augur

Out of the 2 servers, Mangler appeals to me more as a casual gamer. That said, I really wish Mangler had increased exp and increased rare spawns. Grrr
    Risiko, SweetLaxTho and Hdizzle like this.
  5. code-zero Augur

Here's the thing about slow unlocks. A percentage of the player base sees characters a few days after opening who are maxed level and have already killed one of the dragons.

They don't like it as they find fewer and fewer people playing and their own advancement falls further and further behind. Then the Kunark opens and they are even more unhappy wishing that it hadn't because they haven't caught up.

Eventually the high achievers begin to get bored as they wait for the next expansion which actually isn't coming as fast as they'd like so they drop out first. Back when there was voting on Fippy and Vulak the "left behind" contingent finally became numerous enough to block the opening of the next expansion.

That showed 'em!!!

The problem really is that casual players need to level faster. More good gear needs to get out in the population, more named needs to spawn, faction work needs to be done faster.

Take all that into consideration and if you are a dev working on a server for the casuals and you come up with Selo despite it being everything that the casual player says they don't want...it's what they need.

Hard core is...hard. That's Mangler, it will be tough and I expect that there'll be Krono farmers and people camping all the regular camp spots. If you claim to be hard core but think, "man, I'd love to get in on that good XP and high drops and all," nothing wrong but you're gonna be playing pretty casual
  6. Ghost Of Fippy Augur

Again, wrong. One month unlocks is not Casual. And skipping Classic, Kunark, and Velious for any 20th EQ Anniversary server is shameful.
    Kywen, SweetLaxTho, Barton and 2 others like this.
  7. Hinastorm Elder

Everyone has different thoughts on exp rates....but personally the "phinny" rate sucked to get through. And forget leveling boxes or alts at that rate.

If yer going to slow down exp, it needs an interesting hook, like FV loot, or something else.
    Risiko likes this.
  8. Tesen New Member

Mangler is in essence The Combine Server but with better exp rates.
    The general population on Combine was unhappy, I do not see this being good for casuals.

Most people on this server will only be current in expansion for group content.
    In general gear will fall behind and then raiding will fall behind. Lots of tears will be shed and eventually the player base will exclaim joy when pushed to live so they can go find real guilds.

SERVERS:

"The Combine" & "The Sleeper"

SERVER FEATURES:

• 2 normal, non-pvp servers (no transfer servers) titled "The Combine" & "The Sleeper" in-game
    • Each expansion will be unlocked by the progress of the players and the content they complete
    • New servers for past players to return to and re-experience a world where talented and skilled players reign supreme
    • New players can experience all of EverQuest's original content without having to catch up on years of expansions
    • Relive the evolution of one of the most successful MMORPGs in history
  9. northstar Augur

its not DoA ill be going there for sure.... just me a solo rogue.. or necro just me the server will be all mine.... I am actually looking forward to it.
    ch0rny likes this.
  10. Kaneras Augur

Casual players don't do 1 month unlocks. Daybreak, you got it all wrong man. I will never play on a server with 1 month unlocks, so I'll be trying out Mangler.
  11. Haeldar New Member

I consider myself casual and I'm fine with the 1 month unlocks, but wouldn't be opposed to 2 months. Anything more than 2 months is just too long IMHO. I've played on every progression launch to date and those 3 month ones just drag on too long.

I mean, I might fall behind a bit and not have maxed out everything before the next expansion unlocks, but whatever. I'll still enjoy playing with friends and new folks I meet, and we'll get done what we can get done in the zones we choose to play in.
  12. ch0rny Elder

I will also be going to Mangler. I consider myself casual insofar as playtime, but I like a bit of a challenge as well. Everyone on this server will be making friends with clerics for rezzes to offset that death penalty haha
    northstar likes this.
  13. Kahna Augur

There are no doubled drop rates. There are halved instance timers, and increased rare spawn chance, but it says nothing about lowered respawn timers or increased drop rates. You will still get the same number of drops per raid, you just get to raid that instance twice a week for one month instead of once a week for three months. There will actually be less raid loot entering the server.