Selos 100% misses the point of being a casual server

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by hoovadalewt, Feb 12, 2019.

1. code-zero Augur

Nope, I don't. But thanks for playing. I figured out quite some time ago that perhaps the devs weren't omniscient. But they have access to data that I don't and they definitely know more than the average forum poster who only turns up for TLP launches
  2. Risiko Augur

You nailed it on the head right there. This is NOT a celebration of EQ's anniversary. How can it be when it bypasses the Original EverQuest, Ruins of Kunark, and Scars of Velious?

I guess it just goes to show how much the current owner's of the intellectual property do not appreciate where the game came from.

When people think of EverQuest's history, most think of classic, Kunark, and Velious. Everything beyond Velious is a slow departure away from what made EverQuest great. They're taking the best of EverQuest, and throwing it away while serving it up as their celebration of EverQuest.

It's a slap in the face to the original creators and all the people that enjoyed the game in the early days that lead up to making EverQuest and SoE a major powerhouse in the MMORPG industry.

Shadows of Luclin, Planes of Power, legacy of Ykesha, Lost Dungeons of Norrath, Gates of Discord, Omens of War, and the rest did not make EverQuest a thing. They are the beginning of the end of EverQuest's rule over the industry.

Honestly, who ever came up with these rulesets should resign because this is the worst decision ever to come out of that company be it SoE or DBG.
    Barton likes this.
  3. DeseanJackson Augur

Seems like Selos is a hybrid TLP and event server.
    Renshu likes this.
  4. Tmerz New Member

As someone who lurks the forums regularly but plays consistently, I had to make a forum account to say how disappointed I am in their warped mind definition of a "casual" server. The only people that are excited are the po*opsoc*king hardcore players in top tier guilds that will raid 7days a week.
    The other one and Barton like this.
  5. Gana Augur

What of your numbers are applicable here without you making an assumption that you do not have enough information on to make it actually informed? Have they described the xp as anything other than "faster than any other TLP"? Anything you put above has no value given this server is unprecedented and all your numbers are being reduced based on assumptions of what you think they mean. How did that work with guessing how the servers would be?

Sorry, that sounds rougher than I intend it. What I mean is that we have no idea what they mean by "faster". Anything is possible (Test level xp included). A well put together, coordinated group ahead of the pack that knows the best places to xp with all the advantages of VetRewards and XP potions can level at a rate likened to Live. Maybe 8 hours is a little fast, but far, far lower than 60 hours. But again, we have no way of knowing based on the information at hand.

And 2 weeks for a casual...with xp pots/vet rewards? Easily.

I guess we will see in March.
  6. Stagentti Augur

Didn't they specifically say twice Ragefire/Lockjaw xp?
  7. taliefer Augur

yes we do. from the announcement:

This means that gaining experience will be much easier, with experience nearly double that of Ragefire or Lockjaw when the server launches.
  8. Bolten_DA Augur

On the bright side...no need for vp keys!
  9. Ceffener Augur

And:
    Earning experience on the Selo server will be noticeably faster than the rate of other progression servers, but not quite as fast as a normal server.

So less than live. Sure someone could do the math.
    Barton likes this.
  10. FIsh Lips Augur

Only by ridiculous definitions of hardcore. They do what I describe AND they poopsock expansions, AND they have high playtimes.

Playing infrequently but getting all the loot without having to invest the time is pretty casual.
  11. a_librarian Augur

ah that is disappointing. I was hoping it would start equal to live xp rates then get bumped in GoD and TSS
  12. uk6999 Augur

A couple of simple changes would turn this boat around.

Keep Selo's as is or with 2 month unlocks ( at the bare minimum 8 weeks for the initial release ) on major xpacs and 4 weeks with others and relabel it hardcore/event TLP server.

Increase Mangler xp to be at least on par with Corinav if not slightly faster. Increase expac release time to whatever or leave it at 3 months. Relabel casual.

The only thing keeping people off Mangler will be xp issues that and the folks who dont want to start in Classic. Fix that and the server wont be a dead weight. I will say they are close but didnt close the deal at least for me. Mangler has a chance, however it is sad nothing will change about it and it will be either D.O.A or die shortly thereafter. Not sure why they even bothered with this server.
    Barton likes this.
  13. Qucian New Member

Yep, here's my thoughts on Selo's "Casual"
    [IMG]

DBG, PLEASE learn what the point of Casual means, because currently right now this can illustrate how close you are.

[IMG]

Or maybe it's more blatant? Who knows *sigh* lol...

[IMG]
    Barton likes this.
  14. Trox2010 Augur

Getting double the XP and loot would be pretty casual except the you gt 1/3-1/4 the time in which to do get it. That is what makes Selo the hardcore server.
  15. Wilhelm_Arcturus New Member

I will add my comment to the stack. I am a bit disappointed in the plan for this "ultra casual" (words from the Producer's Letter) ended up being. Faster unlocks don't do anything for me and bypassing classic on the 20th anniversary seems like a bad joke.

Like others in the thread, that they might offer up something like basic mercs or something that might differentiate it and make it live up to the casual promise.
    Barton likes this.
  16. Ambee Elder

They said "nearly double" Ragefire and Lockjaw. There also won't be any vet rewards until DoN.

Not sure why you posted this, but now everyone knows they can safely ignore anything you post from now on
  17. uk6999 Augur

With one month unlocks pretty much no reason to do any access quests. Just farm what you can and go into the next xpac with whatever you have. A few very well geared people can carry a lot of weight with them.
  18. Evade Augur

I'm in the same boat. Crossing my fingers daybreak takes are feedback and makes some adjustments
    hoovadalewt likes this.
  19. Thalliius Augur

Mangler starts in Classic.. maybe put away your victim card and play there if the history, tradition, lore and all that other BS you waxed poetically about actually matter to you
  20. Crayon123 Augur

Those were my thoughts. Skip all the keying crap, because a few weeks later all the gear is going to be irrelevant anyways.