Will Mangler be the least successful TLP in EQ history?

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by a_librarian, Feb 12, 2019.

1. a_librarian Augur

Yes

my advice: cancel its launch and work on the concept some more. Make it a high risk/high reward server or something. We don't need another dead server
    Iyvy, Barton, Crayon123 and 1 other person like this.
  2. oldkracow 9999 Is the Krono Account Limit

I think the forum quest is how to best save Selos.
    Mangler got one to the head and it's just waiting to be buried.
    Renshu likes this.
  3. Supermain New Member

Everything kind of went backwards from what I thought it was going to be ..
    Selos will allow you to level up quick to raid a ton more, which would possibly appeal to the hardcore raiders?
    Mangler will start in classic and have longer expansion releases, which would possibly appeal to the more casual?
    I guess im off to Mangler, even if our guild takes 1 expansion longer to clear classic that would still give 24 weeks to do it in a somewhat casual fashion.
    Barton and Hirbow like this.
  4. Artaserse2 Elder

With regards to op's question. The short answer is Yes.
  5. Trox2010 Augur

The long answer is Yessssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss
  6. Crayon123 Augur

7. Garwin Lorekeeper

Ironically I'm a casual player playing on Coirnav and I think i'm going to move to Mangler. I'm not happy with the slower leveling rate and higher death penalty, but at least it starts on classic and has a reasonable release rate. Selos is just ... weird.
  8. Smakk Journeyman

Quick! Everyone /petition “your idea for both new servers suck!”

I congratulate DBG in giving us notice, but has they stand I’m not coming back for either of those flaming piles...
  9. Koshk Augur

Same boat, and I empathize with you. But it's hard to justify waiting 1 month to start from scratch on Mangler. Where I'll level even slower than Coirnav. And feels like it will be a ghost-town. For the same amount of time/effort, I could just commit to Coirnav.

Only reason I play TLPs is for social grouping and trading. If I wanted to just quietly experience EQ content? Would just spin up an an , and play single-player.
  10. Artaserse2 Elder

This sums up my feeling as well. Why wait a month. Besides, Mangler may well start off as a ghost town. Remember how quickly the population dropped on Lockjaw; this will probably be even worse.
  11. a_librarian Augur

I hope they make adjustments so there's a viable and fun classic start TLP this year for people who want that. People moan about classic endlessly on the forums but until you've done it yourself a time or two you really can't be talked out of wanting it. It's worth experiencing for those that haven't, and could be made so much better with minor adjustments to reduce toxic behaviors
    snailish likes this.
  12. Mashef Augur

It already is the worst TLP ever. There is not one appealing factor to the server.
  13. Lankie Augur

Mangler will most likely be shut down after 1 month.
  14. Trox2010 Augur

It actually would be pretty easy to make those adjustments; change Selo label to hardcore, and then give Mangler the same XP rate as Selo and label it Casual.
    Iyvy likes this.
  15. Mashef Augur

If it also doesn't start at Luclin its a dud anyways. Selo is HYPE over the start point and fast exp. Just needs longer unlocks.
  16. Trox2010 Augur

It will be popular with the actual Casual/Ultra-Casual crowd.
  17. snailish Augur

I'm of the opinion that the people most likely to happily pay to play in classic (some up to Velious) are the early quitters of past TLP that aren't currently subbed and don't really post here.

We'll never be told, but it would be interesting to know what number and % of resub and new accounts actually play on Selo/Mangler as currently announced versus just redistributing currently accounts.
  18. Evade Augur

Exactly this. Throw in FV 1 char and loot rules on Mangler and bang! Great casual server
    Valanie likes this.
  19. Mashef Augur

Wrong. Most casuals love alts and are alt-aholics who just don't raid cutting edge.

1 character is the definition of hardcore. Min/Max all in on one toon.
    Trox2010 likes this.
  20. yerm Augur

I don't know who got the idea that slow xp is good but they are wrong. Then someone heard people calling for corpse runs and instead made death xp loss greater - literally beyond idiotic. It's so strange; they literally released what I consider the best and the worst ruleset ideas of any tlp.

IMO selos is perfect. Copy it and make it hardcore (slower xp is NOT hardcore) and call it mangler. Don't give hardcores yet another phinny clone but with horrible xp logic.
    Trox2010 likes this.