Rngr Secret Dawn dual wield combo

Discussion in 'Hybrid' started by OrchardField, Feb 10, 2019.

1. OrchardField Journeyman

I’m looking for the best secret dawn dual wield combo. I’m currently using wurmslayer and secret dawn rod, and just got another muhbis. For times I’m grouping with a tank and don’t need the wurmie aura, I’m wondering what dual wield you all might suggest. A doubling up of the rod (good proc for the tank) or would you recommend a faster weapon, such as the sword (it has disproportionately low damage bonus,) or even faster with the rapier or sabre. And which hand would you equip them? Thanks for any advice
  2. Qbert Gallifreyan

I don't know what you'll settle on, but: the rod is lore, so two of those is not an option.
  3. Derka Power Ranger

If you're looking to do just straight DPS go with the fastest ones (saber and rapier) the 19 delay pairs well with empowered blades/imbued ferocity (more swings = more +dmg utilized and more procs)
    If you're looking for utility then well there's a lot of options, many of which are situational and require more muhbis.
  4. OrchardField Journeyman

Doh! I just assumed sine the confags weren’t lire that these weren’t. Good point piercer it is. Hope I don’t outages the pally, going for the stun proc one, although when I kick, I al ost always see “this mob is immune to the stun portion”.
  5. OrchardField Journeyman

My typos suck! Hope u understood :)
  6. Cstoner187 Elder

If you aren't tanking you should be bowing, always. It's much better dps.
  7. OrchardField Journeyman

Oh, without question. Primary setup (Group gear) is secret dawn bow, wurmie, chase shield, close enough to use the melee range CA’s but far enough to bow. Sometimes tank dies and I need to weaponshield tank, and that setup keeps me alive for an eva, but sometimes, in dungeons with no space to bow without aggroing or corners with line of sight, I dual wield. Looking for the best dos in the dual wield situations, or whole weapon shield is up when the mob may be killable by a ranger to salvage the wipeout
  8. Brohg Augur

Tome of Obulous
  9. roth Augur

Well, if you’re going to be picking that kind of nit, you should also point out using the Darkened Cone of the Mystics in place of the Wurmslayer.

Cone + Tome + bow is one good combo. High HDex.
    Wurmslayer+Shield+bow is a more defensive setup. Ideally here, you would use the LDoN 25 AC slot 5 rather than a dex aug.

The first combo is good for raiding, and for shooting when grouped. The second combo is good for tanking, and for Headshotting (could also use Cone+Shield). Tome is not good for headshotting because the proc can and will break root.

As for the best Secret Dawn melee combo? Highest ratio after aug primary, then next highest ratio after aug in secondary. Because the difference in delays, and the way they try to make ratios similar unauthentic, damage augs tend to favor faster weapons.
  10. DaciksBB Augur

He won't be able to pick up a cone until HH starts, meanwhile he can get an obulus at any time.

Also don't rangers tend to prefer melee augs with procs in all their weapons? (bow included)
  11. roth Augur

Did I say what type of augs to be using? I merely said that highest ratio after the aug is added to it. If the aug preference is a 12 damage aug, or a 10 damage aug with a proc, add accordingly and then divide by the delay to find the aug’d ratio.
  12. OrchardField Journeyman

I do have the Tome that I use for normal grouping, but the skyiron heater I load up when fighting mobs that might kill the tank (also cause I spent a pocketful of krono on it and hate to see it unused :) ) The cone...is it just for the 250 mana proc that you think its better than the wurrmie when bowing, Ive never thought of switching out my primary for standard bowing as the wurmie seamed to be quite a jack of all items there? Roth has me figured out, I'm sick of dying, so I often hedge my offensive slightly for good defensive items. My group is a pally, myself (ranger) and the rest are all silk wearers (except for the merc healer) so if the pally goes down or the cleric gets aggro, I'm jumping in if the chanter hasn't been able to remez or evac
  13. OrchardField Journeyman

Is the darkened cone in primary there for the type 5 and type 7 slots?
  14. Jhenna_BB Proudly Prestigious Pointed Purveyor of Pincusions

Yes - because of the aug slots, the Cone is the highest possible HDex in game for primary. IMO, it is a great choice for primary when bowing unless you're fortunate enough to have a Darkened Trakanon's Tooth for the 3200 Dmg Sympathetic Proc.

I'd go Sabre in main, Axe in offhand for the better procs. I have great disdain for Lifedraw procs.
    OrchardField likes this.
  15. roth Augur

I LOVE lifetap procs. I just LOATHE the current implementation of the things, where the heal cannot be increased in any way at all.

Vampiric Strike VI does less damage but can heal more than a more recent Vampiric Draw V. 306 tap vs 2520 nuke + 1800 fixed heal.

At this point I’d almost rather have a ToT heal, or a straight up heal, proc than a current (aka neutered) lifetap proc.
    Jhenna_BB likes this.
  16. Jhenna_BB Proudly Prestigious Pointed Purveyor of Pincusions

I was talking to a guildie about Lifedraw today. The idea is actually pretty fair, balance wise by the separating the two effects. The heal from a 2800 nuke that crits and then crits the heal portion is very large and a bit over powered for force proc classes. So, making the heal portion only be 1800 and no "double crit" possibility not be effected by AA's, heal amount and not be able to crit at all is just another example of nerfing something with a sledgehammer when a flyswatter would make due. Lifedraws are dumb and giving up the amount of damage a pure proc would offer, any class, is imo a mistake. These procs in current form should not even exist.

The Devs got this one completely wrong.
  17. roth Augur

The problem is, the Vampiric Draw procs did NOT separate the nuke from the healing, they just put a hard cap on the heal. This is why I say they neutered the taps.

I was perfectly fine with taps being lower damage than nuke procs, because the healing made up for it. Now, not so much. I would not mind it if the 1800 was a base upon which the heal grew. There are procs out there that are an uncoupled nuke/heal. IMO that was the template they should have used. I’d be fine with a 2520 nuke/1800 heal, if the two effects were separate and enhancable. A 2520 nuke/1800 heal that, no matter what, will never heal more than that 1800 is just wrong.

Jhenna, I remember back when I first got the 2+1 damage augs from Tacvi. I was using the 125 tap proc augs from DoN (yea, we were not raiding cutting edge content) and swapping to the damage augs saw my DPS go up and my survivability go down. Though our stats have ballooned since then, the principle is the same : either go for DPS, or go for enhanced survivability. That is why I love lifetap procs, but I loathe these neutered ones.

I agree that the devs got the response to tap power enhancement wrong. I disagree with you though, in that I believe taps are a legitimate proc type and should exist, they just should not exist in this hard capped form. Lower nuke than a straight nuke proc is fine given that the nuke is not their sole effect.
    Jhenna_BB likes this.