Nec/Sk Dot Revamps

Discussion in 'Casters' started by Nekk, Jan 12, 2018.

1. Bewts Augur

Or... they can just establish AA lines for short (36s) medium (54s) and long term (2m) duration on dots into three distinct stances that sets the duration of all dots to that focused duration. Condensing dot lines becomes less problematic then because you can have the line of dots which are modified by DPS / efficiency of the stance instead of trying to tune every single DoT for type, stacking, DPS and efficiency.

Isolating the challenges into manageable hierarchy like AA stances can probably simplify this process significantly to:
    1. Fire Line
    2. Poison Line
    3. Curse (Magic) Line
    4. Snare (Magic) Line
    5. Tap (Magic) Line
    6. Debuff (Fire?) Line
    7. Chromatic Line
    8. Disease Line

I’d expect the Efficiency and DPS to align to the stance where shorter duration = higher DPS but less efficiency versus longer duration = lower DPS but excellent efficiency with the medium line somewhere in the middle. You can also add a 4th AA stance to turn the dots to solely direct damage for those encounters where DoTs are banned given all the bad things that happen when you damage mobs you aren’t supposed to.
  2. Hadesborne Augur

Aristo please help us out here. That is, if you still work for Daybreak. With no communication, we have no way of knowing.
  3. strongbus Augur

do it the easy way. cut the dots all down to like 9 or so lines. give us a aa that adds x amount of base damage to each dot based on how many we have on a mob(like the mages line of many spell that do more damage the more pets on the mob). this will let them keep the spell damage the same as it is now and use aa to add more damage to them in a way that they can control easier.
  4. xaga Elder

5. seber Augur

I do love any talk about neco dot Updates get ever one do dam mad lol.......
  6. Jaylin Augur

I imagine eq will be sunset before a revamp ever actually happens. I would gladly be wrong, but at this point we have to be realistic that the devs just dont have the time to invest into it. One of the devs already posted in beta that they didnt have time and they are overworked and understaffed and so on. Its why we didnt have more aa or anything new in regards to spells for any class. it was copy and paste essentially. Realistically i dont see them ever getting the time unless someone does is completely unpaid because dbg doesnt want to funnel money into a 20 year old game. With layoffs at dbg and wasted resources... (eqnext/landmark. and other scrapped games) i just dont see it happening

Expansion launched in Dec
    Jan but fixes from new expansion
    Feb-march--- Anniversary stuff
    April- anniversary fix stuff
    May-June.. Summer events/early expansion stuff
    July-September-- new expansion
    October-November--- beta

and start it all over again.

I could be completely off base and maybe they have been working on it this whole time, but 2 years ago when the dev said they were going to start it right after EoK launched, many lost faith

I do apologize if this sounds like an attack, because our devs do work hard for this game. I have respect for the devs. I know nothing about the complexity of coding and dont claim to. Its just very disappointing at times to feel like you are being overlooked when all these grand plans are announced and then scrapped in the middle and hope no one complains.
  7. Brohg Augur

counterpoint: if they really ever throw their hands up on necro class rebuild, then we'll know by necros getting a very plain revamp in the style of the other classes. Combine all existing lines vertically, adjust numbers & efficiency over the following two months; change nothing else. A positive move, but pretty disappointing compared to what I think is possible as a revision to the very weird necromancer play style. That there's been nothing at all (besides ****ing the ****ing **** out of Scent AA :mad:) says to me that possibly they have fundamental change slowly grinding its way across someone's desk
  8. javiere New Member

Every time they talk about a new TLP - i think - i would totally play a necro for it ... if i had a single word from devs that made me think this would be addressed.

Anyone counter-griping that necro are fine as is - it's a massive QoL change that anyone who has played ANY other class that has dots, is well familiar with, and has been for years.

The same shaman i have been playing since 2000 (we never even heard about classic launch in australia, but we did hear about kunark!), and my TLP shaman on Phinny, are both fundamentally more fun to play with the dot amalgamation and me not going mental shuffling spellsets like a bandit trying to keep up dots and the other spells i need. Necro has always been my favourite alt, and it just feels suck to swap to him now.

I am not looking for a "hey it's in the 20th anniversary patch" - but we play on a TLP for years and years, just give me ANY formal word it will absolutely happen within X years timeframe, and that would be enough for me to go necro again on anniversary server(s).
    Brohg likes this.
  9. I-WANT-IT-NOW Augur

The AA dev doesn't have enough time to actually handle AA outside of nerfing the hell out of necros Scent. You think the spell dev has time to redo spells for one class at this stage of the game?
  10. Zalamyr Augur

Doing the necro revamp the same way they did the other classes revamps doesn't even fix or change a whole lot. Necros still have, what, 16 modern non-swift DoTs? That's an improvement I guess, but not a large one.

They really needed to impose the stacking restrictions, then cut the DoT lines to like 10 and rebalance them when they upped the level cap.
  11. Brohg Augur

10? nah, 'bout 6
  12. Zalamyr Augur

Sure, that works too. As long as they fit on one spell bar I'd be happy.

I think unnerfing the swifts on raid bosses would also be important if that ever happened to ensure they'd still be casting DoTs most of the time.
  13. Moege Augur

Hopefully by this time everyone knows that necro is a dead end. Playing it solo is fun, with friends that carry you is ok. Raiding is a disaster and I am amazed that some raiding guilds actually tolerate them on their rosters. It just makes me sad to see people still leveling up and I don't have the heart to crush their dreams.

This from a retired necro with full RoS raidgear/raids and full TBL AA. Finally realized just what a waste of time it is to play this class. The amount of work put into my necro, the progression, the love of the class has now turned into bitterness.

There won't be a dot revamp. Ever.
  14. xaga Elder

Clearly its apparent that they do not give a rats A. We have 22 pages here and 0 response from any Dev... including the community ones.... and we all know they have read this post.

Shame on them.
  15. Scornfire The Nimbus Prince

Dude, what? I top so many raid parses I'm forbidden from main changing.
  16. Brohg Augur

The results (achieved pretty exclusively by the elite, btw. very few necros can execute) aren't a disaster, it's that the process of producing them is such nonsense
  17. javiere New Member

People love their whack theories of why it's all too hard, but there is nothing new here - and nothing that is fundamentally any different.

Shaman's had swift dots too - they were removed. Who cares if a few whole lines are culled, they just added most of them in as they didn't know what else to give us.

They made time to do all the other classes only a few years ago, not in the ancient heady days, but a recent change for a 20 year old game.

Some people like to suggest 2.0 is somehow a complete breaker for this, when factoring that crit in is 1 cell on a spreadsheet.
  18. Moege Augur

Congrats ? Willing to go sit on the bench so another necro can have fun raiding ? That is what it boils down to, it is a dead end, no matter how good your personal parse is there is room for 2 necros on a raid, more than that and dots bounce debuffs bounce and your personal dps drops. No matter the inanity of good dps on a necro many will be willing to put up with it it simply does not matter necros do not stack.

Leveling up a necro and hoping to raid is a exercise in futility. Hoping that a raiding necro quits so you can go fill their shoes is not a solid plan.
  19. Scornfire The Nimbus Prince

I see what you're saying, the way you worded it came off as Necros were a waste of roster space, period. The debuff limit is something we've lobbied to have changed for decades now, I've never gotten a clear answer on why it isn't feasible to address.
  20. Ecchicon Elder

Although I get what you are saying, a good team of necros can coordinate their damage effectively on modern raids. There aren’t too many fights around where everyone NEEDS to be damageing just one mob at a time.

When I think about the situation, I suppose I’d be frustrated at times. There are also plenty of fights where there are a bunch of little mobs that die in moments. Still, I think good necormancers and guilds organize things to where the necromancers assist in reverse order on non-mezzable mobs.

I hope the main reason the changes are taking so long is because they are actually revamping the necro’s spells significantly in order to solve some major problems thta exist now and to avoid he obvious problems that would come from the types of changes the other classes got. Just off the top of my head, Necromancers could have spells that trigger DoTs to do massive damage in one shot, DoTs that “finish” when a mob hits a certain damage threshold, nukes with longish cool downs that instantly refresh when a certain DoT is cast, and other things.

Whatever the result, I hope everything pays off and works out.