Paladin Raid Tanking

Discussion in 'Tanks' started by Defjam, Feb 3, 2019.

1. Kleitus_Xegony Augur

This would be my suggestion for a general purpose raid spell set for a beginner / returning player (it's just a starting point):
    1. Harmonious Blessing
    2. Preservation of Rodcet
    3. Burst of Morninglight
    4. Splash of Depuration
    5. Dissident Force
    6. Refute for Honor
    7. Protective Devotion
    8. Brilliant Exoneration
    9. Censure
    10. Admonish
    11. Crush of the Timorous Deep
    12. Crush of E'Ci
    13. Valiant Diversion
    Then, depending on your role you would swap things out. As an example, if you were assigned to stun stuff then I'd probably swap out 10, 11, and 12 for Force of the Timorous Deep, Force of Mercy and Merciful Force. If I wasn't planning on tanking at all, I'd swap out stuff for more heals (group and direct target).
    You can make some simple macros (or key bindings) to do something like the following (might need to tweak the order):

Aggro:
    • /alt act 3826 <=== Force of Disruption
    • /cast 11
    • /cast 12
    • /cast 13
    • /cast 6
    Note: You'd want to hit Protective Devotion and Spurn all the time too. You might want to twincast the Valiant line too. So this is something you might look at to change.

ToT Heal:
    • /cast 7
    • /cast 9
    • /cast 10
    • /cast 8
    • /cast 13
    Note: You need to know when to use your other healing abilities and modifiers (Epic, [Group] Armor of the Inquisitor, 1st Spire) when you need it the most. That spell set above would suck for group healing, so you'd have to rely on Hand of Piety, Gift of Life, Lay on Hands, and Reflexive Reverence for group heals.

DPS:
    • /alt act 7712 <=== Disruptive Persecution
    • /cast 12
    • /cast 9
    • /cast 10
    • /cast 8 <=== maybe not if you need to twincast your splash heals
    Note: This is not an optimized DPS spell lineup either. The purpose of using macros or key bindings is to make it easier to just mash a single key and get more than one thing out of it. It's easier to keep the cast counts high doing it that way than it is if you click on all of the spell gems / abilities with the mouse. Plus you can find what you feel is the optimal order / setup and repeat it consistently.
    Seldom likes this.
  2. Defjam Journeyman

So this is something I discussed with my pallies a long time ago, so I just wanted to check to make sure this isn't incorrect. It seems that the hate generation between DP and FoD is very small.

Disruptive persecution= 11200 hate (without crits)
    Force of disruption = 12000 Hate

Is this incorrect? If so, I'd love to know because I've been using DP almost exclusively because of these numbers. I think with the new line up I'm trying out, I have more useful spells up all the time now, which has been great. That optimization of slots could be the difference between the number of things I was using for aggro vs the best in a single spell slot. I'll keep trying things out!
  3. shiftie Augur

Disruptive persecution

Target: Single
    Resist: Magic -150
    Hate: 3000
    1: Decrease Current HP by 30000
    2: Interrupt Casting

Force of disruption

Target: Single
    Resist: Magic -600
    Hate: 16000
    1: Interrupt Casting

Not sure what you mean
  4. Defjam Journeyman

My numbers are about 5 years old, so it's a couple ranks ago, but damage also generates hate.
  5. Wulfhere Augur

Nope. Hate Override means that is all the hate an ability produces, damage or otherwise. DP does 3k hate, compared to FoD doing 16k.
    Chaosflux likes this.
  6. Defjam Journeyman

Well boo, that's bad misinformation. I blame Ravengloome :). Noted!
  7. shiftie Augur

To be fair it used to produce solid hate then it was nerfed.
    Chaosflux likes this.
  8. Defjam Journeyman

/grumble I must have missed the nerf during one of my breaks. Looks like I'll have to add that back to the list. For better or for worse, I thankfully don't have any issues holding aggro, more staying alive. :) Having Dissident in my line up has definitely been useful.
  9. Wulfhere Augur

Right. DP aggro was nerfed in 2014 so as to force a choice between that and FoD. I.e. aggro vs dps.

2014-08-19 18:49 Changed Hateamount from 0 to 1250
  10. Metapsyche Augur

Depends on the situation... but typically I run 2-3 different setups.

I run three different spam keys.

Key 1: 1,2,3
    Key 2: 4,5
    Key 3: 6,7,8,9

Offtanking (my main set as paladins are not ideal main tanks)

1) Crush of Tim
    2) Crush of E’ci
    3) Valiant
    4) Merciful Light
    5) Burst of Morning
    6) wave of
    7) wave of
    8) wave of
    9) aurora of
    10) Brilliant
    11) Cure
    12) Revitilizating
    13) Preservation

For stun events I replace 1-3 with the typical stuns, for events where I’m not really even off tanking I’ll replace 1-3 with Censure, Admonish, Ostracize. But I still mix it up a lot depending on the event. For instance I find 1-3 as stuns and then 4,5 as crushes works well for me on Stratos to tag my jopals via crush and then stun them when they get into camp as crush of the timo is still our best “look at me” button on pulls.
    Kleitus_Xegony likes this.
  11. shiftie Augur

Not to be critical but why in the world are you using light and 3 waves?
  12. Livvy_CT Elder

With all due respect Meta, paladins are awesome off tanks, in my guild we off tank, as well as tank the mini-bosses
  13. Metapsyche Augur

I use light / burst as a spot heal as they’re both extremely fast and work surprising well on the same spam key (not perfect but I hate the touch line). As for three waves, again it’s a spam key. Wave, Wave, Wave, Aurora, Aurora, Wave, Wave, Wave can be spammed until you run out of mana. It’s the most group healing that we can pump out as far as I have been able to find. As I am in a tank group with 2-3 other tanks that are also often taking damage I’ve found that a group heal spam has been very handy.

Never said we were bad offtanks, that’s our job 99% of the time on raids. So I agree 100% lol.
  14. Chaosflux Augur

So his group heals have group heals.

Meta by chance are you a dwarf?
    Metapsyche and shiftie like this.
  15. Metapsyche Augur

Lol!! I put some heals in your heals so you can heal while you heal! No dwarf here, frog life forever.

For what it’s worth I’m not saying that everyone should play like me, just offering my $.10 as to one of the spell line ups that I use and works for me. Every raid force will be different, in my raid group I am more valuable being a smart tank that picks up targets as needed and helps to keep my fellow tanks alive versus trying to be first in line to tank every monster. I think it really will depend on your raid force.
  16. Livvy_CT Elder

I just can’t get over that your a frog....
  17. Chaosflux Augur

Well what were you expecting a half elf or a halfling? Lol
  18. Metapsyche Augur

19. Allayna Augur

I’m stunned, by the lack of stuns in these lineups. Most trash in TBL is stunnable. I haven’t loaded a crush all year, hard for a mob to change targets when it’s stunlocked. I’ll agree that Paladin lineups vary greatly from event to event but I’ve never loaded multiple group heals.

We have an amazing pass through heal lineup, although the hate reduction mod needs to be removed. Cleric + Paladin using HTT lineup on trial of three raid so that we can spread the clerics around.

Also shocked to see raiding paladins who don’t load splash.

Valiant never leaves my spell bar, same with dicho or the newer dissident depending on your progression.
  20. Metapsyche Augur

100% agreed on the Heal thru spells those are bread and butter when we don’t need Agro. In my defense I wrote cure in my lineup, but that’s splash. Brilliant + splash on cooldown is basically a staple of the class in most raids.