One keyboard/mouse with multiple computers

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Risiko, Feb 7, 2019.

1. Risiko Augur

First and foremost, I am NOT referring to key broadcasting. This thread has nothing to do with that.

On FV, I have a trio I play across three computers. I am looking for a solution that is A) with in the terms of service of EverQuest, B) easy to use, and C) allow me to use a single keyboard and mouse to control the three different computers. In the past, I played them all on the same computer, but I really get tired of hitting alt-tab over and over.

So far, I have tried input director. When your mouse hits the edge of our screen, it starts controlling the computer you have setup in that direction.

It works pretty decently except that the scroll wheel and right mouse button actions get applied on the computer that the mouse is physically attached as well as the computer the mouse is currently controlling. From what I have googled about the issue is it is due to EverQuest capturing the mouse inputs at a very low level, so it grabs the mouse wheel and right mouse button at the same time that input director does. Therefore, it applies it to the main computer that the mouse is physically connected.

One possible solution I am thinking about trying is buying another computer just to run as the computer that actually has the mouse and keyboard physically connected to it, and not running EverQuest on that computer. Then the computer that is basically the master for input director or any software-based KVM is not actually running EverQuest which will eliminate the wheel mouse and right mouse clicks being applied incorrectly.

First off, has anybody tried this before I go spend money on yet another computer?

Secondly, what solutions do you use?

Again, I am not interested in running any TOS violating software, so no need to reply back with that if you are using that.
  2. enclee Augur

Just get multiple monitors and run the game in windowed mode. It's all it takes, the mouse will move across EQ instances.
  3. Risiko Augur

I hadn't thought about that. I suppose you have to click in to the window though if you do that. Just mousing over it wouldn't give focus to that game I wouldn't think.
  4. enclee Augur

That's all you have to do is click into the window. It works for me, and then just create spell casting macros, ex: /pause 10, /cast 1, /pause 20, /cast 2, etc.
  5. Ceffener Augur

1. KVM switch for multiple computers.
    2. ISO boxer for live (not against TOS, at least per their FAQ that doesn’t ban 3rd party on non truebox servers). To hotkey flipping windows or tiling, or something. Not talking about broadcasting.
    3. Multiple monitors, one per session.
    4. Gaming keyboard/mouse to macro (Windows + 1, Windows + 1 + 1, etc ) so that you can flip between boxes with a single click.

That’s all I got off the top of my head.

Windows key gives you focus, and as long as you always boot your characters in the same order, it’s much better than alt + tab.

Unless you feel macro keyboard and any software is a violation. Then any Software KVM (like the one your currently using) is just as much against the rules as you imply (I assume ISO box) is.
  6. Dagum Elder

So you can use iso boxer. Then have 1 keyboard control both computers.

I tried it out, and honestly did not like it. I just went back to ALT tab. However; if you want 1 keyboard 2 computers, then isoboxer is a solution for you.
  7. Tatanka Joe Schmo

IS, not ISO.. where'd the "O" come from?

Back when I did 3 box, I found ISB to be a much better solution to alt-tabbing. I kept the hotbars for the other EQ instances on the 2nd monitor, and could just mouse over and click the buttons. Nice and easy.
  8. Thul Journeyman

Try this. Mouse without borders. (it's actually mouse and keyboard) I've used it to run multiple computers on the true box TLP's.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=35460

It supports up to 4 computers. Just make sure they are all 32-bit or 64-bit machines. This program doesn't work well if you mix them.

Hope this helps!
  9. Guzzle Augur

Multiplicity is the superior product for this. Hotkey swap to other PC's, maintains focus on window on other PC, and mouse look sensitivity isn't terrible.

100% worth the money if you plan to long-term box. 30-day free trial up front.
  10. Risiko Augur

The main issue I am seeing right now is that when my mouse is on one of the slave computers and I click or use the mouse wheel, EverQuest on the master computer (the one the mouse is physically connected to) picks up the click or mouse wheel. It's super annoying because I will be clicking on stuff on the 2nd computer, and it will be clicking things in EverQuest on the main computer at the same time.

Does "mouse with out borders" or multiplicity suffer from this same thing?
  11. Xorsazis Augur

Multiplicity does not click through that I recall. There is also Synergy, but you would have to ensure "Don't take foreground when on client" is not checked.

Both Multiplicity and Synergy can be touchy if you are using 4K and a non 4K display, due to Windows Desktop Scaling. Synergy also makes right click look really touchy. Multiplicity has the advantage of digital sound redirect (so all your second PC sounds play on your main PC, which is awesome for movie/TV streaming while playing).

Overall, Multiplicity was my favored, but I could not get it working with the 4K display vs. 1080p client, so I have continued using Synergy.

I have never tried the Mouse without borders so I may give that a shot and hope it goes well.
    Risiko likes this.
  12. Risiko Augur

I don't run 4k monitors, so that shouldn't be a problem. I will give Multiplicity a try. Thanks for the info.