2 boxing - New Server Rules

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Mr Nobody, Feb 6, 2019.

1. Mr Nobody Elder

Most people like to box or don't mind if someone else is 2 boxing from the same machine. Most people hate box armies. Surely something can be done to address this?

I won't list the various ways people are multi-boxing TLP's from one machine but it is getting silly. I don't know the best way to resolve this but it is crazy the hoops people are willing to jump through just to box on these truebox servers.

I would really like to 2 box on one machine on one of these new TLP's without having to learn about all the best ways to bypass truebox. I think most people just want less downtime and the ability to see and do more content in game.

So I guess my questions are...

1. Would it be technically possible to make a server that was 2 box as opposed to Truebox?

2. How do you allow for casual boxing while shutting down box armies at the same time?

Surely something can be implemented that is better than the status quo.
  2. Vindaven Elder

Fake News.

Most people actually would like to see *all* boxing (even true boxing using multiple computers) eliminited. 1 player, 1 character.

The problem is figuring out how to actually make *that* happen.
    andross77 likes this.
  3. Drakkal Elder

Fake News.

Real News
    andross77 likes this.
  4. Ceffener Augur

Both are opinions that neither of you can back up with any evidence.
    Barton likes this.
  5. Xyroff-cazic. Director of Sarcasm

Most people agree with me on everything.
  6. Nessirfiti Augur

Whew. I had expected at least another week or two before the anti-boxing zealots came out of their holes.
    Renshu likes this.
  7. The Great Pink Ogre Elder

I would be all for a combo server with Truebox, and anywhere from 1-3 accounts per IP address. It's still not perfect, but it increases the effort that has to go into creating box armies. Could even black list IP's that repeatedly try to log in more than the approved number of accounts.

You would allow multiple people in one household to play together. Over time you would likely see proxy addresses hit the limit enough to get black listed. And users that are trying to bypass these measures may forget to proxy occasionally or have the proxy vpn fail causing them to get blocked.

Like many other views on this topic, this would never happen, but hey. That's what Theorycraft is for.
  8. Renshu Augur

The anti-boxers are as dramatic as the people who stand outside of ab-ortion clinics!

I will say that on Phinny, people who did not box were a minority, at least in my semi-casual guild. The whole idea that everyone is against boxing is totally silly. Boxing is super common on TLP's and has kept EQ afloat for years. Stating your stance on why you don't like boxing is one thing, making silly biased statements is another!
  9. Magic Augur

+1!
    2 box per computer is a great idea. Big boxing crew will do it anyway, with truebox or not, but casual players sometimes want to 2-box too :)

More money to DBG as regular players will also be able to boxing.
  10. Iyacc Augur

I will say that I've always been personally anti-boxing.... until Agnarr. Before then I did it only a little bit on The Combine to farm pearls in Skyfire.... I didn't box because i didn't want to work twice as hard and I always had plenty of guildies to fill the spot anyway.
    My reason wasn't because I want to group with all of you and insist on my play style being the correct one but because quite frankly - most of you suck at it.
    Over the years it's been my experience that most people aren't as good at 2 boxing as they thikn they are, and in general they bring down the overall efficiency of the group/raid/guild.
    Now, having said that, on Agnarr I learned to 2 box some and had some fun with it. The biggest thing I noticed that was common on Agnarr that I had never seen anywhere before was the number of OOG support/healers/whatever to make stuff die faster. It also allowed people/groups/guilds to do stuff with fewer real people - which was good for the server, in general.
    I've played thousands and thousands of hours in MMORPG and known very few people who could run 2 or 3 toons as good as 2 o 3 separate people. And yes I know there are people who suck at running one but that's a whole different topic of discussion.
    So there- I said it. We don't want you to box because you suck.
  11. Kinlin Lorekeeper

I agree and really like this idea.

I would love to 2 box on he same machine, I tried it on 2 different machines and I was horrible at it. This would also make me re-sub my 2nd account, which i turned off a long time ago because of truebox.
  12. took2summit11 Augur

I would love to be able 2 box for 2 reasons:

1. It allows me to be more productive and actually helps the other 4 people I’m grouping with as well
    2. The game is really boring after playing on live where there’s 10s of buttons to press all the time. I started a hybrid character on Coirnav and it’s in the 30s now. I literally just turn on auto attack because casting any spells will put me oom very fast. I know the game gets more involved the more expansions release, but even on live I can keep 2 characters and all their burns/abilities efficiently used, and it keeps my mind well entertained.
  13. Dythan Ban Lev in Plane of Fire guy

3 boxing Is better. You guys should stop being so lazy and casual.
  14. Kittany Augur

That is a large pile of steaming hyperbole and asinine wisdom rolled into one lovely package of opinions mascarading as facts. Using the political charged statement at the beginning didn't help the matters either.

The fact is, there are people who box and then there are people who don't. The criticisms one side has for the other can be completely valid and wrong at the same time. All it takes is listening to the opposition and forming your own conclusions without blindly parroting a biased and sometimes damaging viewpoint. (Which by the way, if often the best advice for any issue)

As I have stated in previous threads, I'm not a boxer. It's just not my thing. But I don't begrudge others who do. Everybody plays the game the way they want to.

The problem that ultimately birthed the TrueBox code was a small group of boxers and botters that abused the system to essentially monopolize content for fun or profit. Often times the latter. The frustrations against this small group brought the backlash against all boxers and thus, the TrueBox code was born.

The better analogy would be civil court cases and patent law. The patent laws are there to protect patents and those who file them. But then you have those few individuals/or companies that sue others based around the idea of vague patents/and or ideas. (Case in point, the patent troll company who sued Blizzard because they claimed that the idea of "Massively multiplayer online" was their idea/patent)

The fact of the matter is of course, most people don't care about boxers. What they care about is those that abuse the system.
  15. took2summit11 Augur

First, I don’t think a single person that 2-6 boxes dislikes people that don’t box, so that point you make is invalid.

Second, the issue with truebox is the same argument as gun control. If you make the rule, the people that were going to 2-6 box will follow it because they are normal people. The people that 6+ box that are the reason truebox exists in the first place are the same exact people that work around truebox anyways using illegal 3rd party software. It’s a rule that only hurts the people that aren’t hurting the integrity of the game with or without truebox.

If DBG has a way to allow 2 boxing but not 6+ boxing, then they should use it IMO.
  16. Kittany Augur

I don't think I ever made that point in my post. On a TrueBox server, single character use is the normal and boxing is the abnormal.

So I fail to see how anything I said that was remotely accusatory in that regard.

The issue is of course those who abuse the system. Not those who are responsible.

This is something I agree with. Unfortunately, there is no real way to prevent the abuse short of having actual CS come in to do bans.
  17. Kevron Journeyman

A limit of 2 characters per computer that eventually goes away (like once Dragons of Norrath launches) would be a good compromise. Basically allow boxing to a small extent on launch and then let people go nuts once the TLP server inevitably begins to die.
  18. Renshu Augur

Tells me I use my opinions as facts, then proceeds to use "The fact is" immediately after. Thanks for that!
    SweetLaxTho likes this.
  19. likestobox Lorekeeper

playing 2 toons isn't boxing... Pretty much just a buff/healing bot
  20. Mr Wonderful Journeyman

Boxing is helpful in group content. Not everyone has a solid group of friends/guildmates. It is out of need really.