Boxing Is Not Casual

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Dawdle, Jan 30, 2019.

1. The Hated One Augur

So many of us are going to wake up and find coal in our stockings on Servers Pop Day eheh...too many people want different things. There is no way DBG will make everyone happy. Im even wondering if it is possible to make most of us happy at this point.
    Thalliius likes this.
  2. Jontrann Augur

Wrong
  3. Kittany Augur

I'm in the camp that enjoys truebox servers. Not because I dislike boxers, nor because I have anything against them. How you play the game is up to you. That said, the majority of boxers are rather benign if anything. BUT, you do have that very small population that uses boxing (With full or partial automation) to monopolize certain aspects of the game (Like the krono farmers or those who use a box army to bully guilds out of raid targets).

That was my issue with Ragefire back in the 'classic' days and one of the reasons I moved to Phinny.
    HoodenShuklak, Thalliius and Trevalon like this.
  4. Trevalon Augur

And so many of these people arguing for no Truebox never played on LJ/RF or the servers before them. They have no clue what they are asking for and talking about.
  5. Accipiter Old Timer

I guess if you don't care about keeping up, yeah. But by that definition, why not just play on live?
  6. Yawgmoth. Journeyman

casuals shouldnt kill nagafen
    malaki likes this.
  7. Dawdle Augur

It's a moot point. DB announced that the casual server would be ultra casual. Ultra casuals don't have time to level 6 toons much less 1 on any other current TLP server.

As a Boxer and a farmer I am 80% positive what DB wants to try and offer people here. That's the chance to play on a server without having to either skip or fight for camps like CoS and GE boots.

They won't get that opportunity if we just keep doing the same thing. This is an interesting chance to play a server for the love of the game the way it used to be. Whats everyone so worried about having to solo for a bit or LFG for awhile if you don't have one. You only LFG until you have a friends list anyway.

You'd think casual was laid back. I am going to call out all this social engineering. Half the posters in all these threads are the same people in game chain dispelling casters off mobs, training groups off camps, locking down camps 24/7, farming krono. Non of it is casual or even close to ultra casual.

An ultra chill server without all the BS of past TLP servers. No boxing, one toon till Luclin or PoP. This has never been done and all the past servers up till now have just been one hot mess up to PoP.

People will argue that they want there box so they can log on and go do whatever for a bit when they have time but there's really only so many camps in Classic, Kunark, Velious.

The more boxing we have the less this server will support casual play. Just increase solo xp and say no boxing, look for a new way to encourage grouping and using that friends list.
    Kittany likes this.
  8. xxar Augur

If you "need" a box to play , then you need to make more friends.

If the argument is I want to play now or do x camp then you need more friends that are willing to help you or better friends.
  9. HoodenShuklak Augur

Funny cause my friends tell me I need a better game.
    Thalliius likes this.
  10. Thalliius Augur

haha i know the feeling

even my friends that were hardcore into EQ back in the day refuse to come back and try it.. they're either into WoW or have moved away from MMos all together
  11. Kaneras Augur

Most progression server players can be divided into two groups, and they are generally not compatible.

1. Gamers
    2. Power Gamers

Group 1 likes a challenge but they also prefer to experience the game at a slower pace.

Group 2 sees end game as the primary challenge and will seize any advantage to get there as fast as possible.
  12. Ultrazen Augur

Boxing is way more casual than grouping. Being able to AFK at will, come and go as you please, fight what you want, when you want, instant group any time you feel like it. Grouping in EQ *is* the hardcore, especially since at many stages it's pretty much required. Boxing was the casuals answer to grouping.

Absolutely there are people with mental disorders and a lot of free time that will certainly find the limits of annoyance with boxing, that's not hardcore, it's a mental illness problem. I'm not sure DBG can enforce a 'no mental illness' server.

I disagree with your assertions.
    Chatoyan and HoodenShuklak like this.
  13. HoodenShuklak Augur

Such a good point... Boxing was the casuals answer to grouping.

At it's outset, boxing was a means for casual players to play in their casual time. Taken to the extreme, and you get macaroni 1-man mini raids.

But small timing boxing? In my experience from Classic back in '99.... well, the few boxers just wanted to do a little content on their own because they had really casual hours.

2-boxing is a pretty benign thing, and some popular 's proved it was viable. I'd totally think a 2-box server would be better for the community as well as DBG bottom line.
  14. Sandrito Elder

The subject title is right. Boxers aren't casual, they are farmers who hog entire zones.
  15. jordune Augur

I spend 20 hours a day in my truck.
    I get 4 hours to shower eat and play eq then off I go again
    I get home every 21/2 weeks for 2 days off

I love eq and have been playing since 2k
    Played from open to merge on the combine played on fippy
    And ragefire

I box and without that I would not play at all
    Lfg for even one hour destroys my play time
  16. Accipiter Old Timer

Totally disagree. I have all the friends I need, thanks.
  17. Accipiter Old Timer

That's a pretty broad brush you have there, son.
    DeseanJackson likes this.
  18. code-zero Augur

I'm pretty sure that if you're ultra-casual that you'll have a box or two and you really won't care at all if someone else is ahead of you.

For ultra casual "playing the game the way it's meant to be played" means doing what you want when you want if you can, buying stuff from the bazaar, getting to loot rots when you can and generally not caring if you're caught up or who's doing what.

Guys selling stuff for Krono? If I need it and can justify it why not?
  19. DeseanJackson Augur

Lol, guesss my lowly warrior/cleric box should be crushing it right? Oh wait, I see the issue, you’re wrong and so was OP.
  20. Chatoyan Elder

Or you need to give up wanting to play anything but one of the core classes. Like playing a druid? Forget getting groups, especially early on when everyone demands a cleric so they can get rezzes deep in a dungeon. Love rogues? Too bad, there are way too many other classes that do better dps, so you're going to be like the kid who was always picked last at recess.