A Clever Casual TLP.

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Quill, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Quill Augur

We can all safely say, that is your opinion. I'd imagine its shared by quite a few people that have their play-time paid for by Classic Start servers. I'm well aware of the haterade i'll be drenched in from those people. But its business... pigs get fed, hogs get slaughtered.. and in general the Krono farmers loss, is the Casual Players gain.

I would just be crushed if your FBSS and Djarn's Krono sales went sailing into the night. Absolutely heartbroken.
  2. Tribunal-Pinky New Member

They make money drawing in massive new subs/krono purchases with every TLP they put out. There has not been ONE single failed TLP from that perspective. They have all made profit!

I can see how copying Agnarr to jumpstart a new GoD launch server can make them more money from Agnarr for the 1.5 months from people trying to get their characters leveled/geared as much as possible for the launch. But I don't see how it has any positive impact into the future.

As mentioned above, simply launching a new TLP will make money. It really doesn't matter what the rule set is. And you/me/DBG can only guess at what will be the most profitable option long term. People often think they want something until they actually get it.Example: I thought I wanted a slower paced progression server, until Ragefire/Lockjaw taught me the true meaning of torture!

If I did not already have a character on Agnarr, I would not even think about joining a TLP that starts with the majority of the population 65 levels and 5 major expansions ahead of me.

However, even WITH multiple lvl 65 characters on Agnarr I would still happily join a server that everyone had to level from 1-65 with me, and I didn't have to spend 1-2 years working my way through the same 5 expansions I've already gone through.
  3. Jimmy2times Elder

I would love for the new casual server to be locked at TSS or OoW. That would be cool with an FV ruleset.

You guys can have that hardcore stuff all to yourself
  4. Quill Augur

Agreed! Its hard for them not to make money on a popular TLP. Its not like they can't sell a Jumpstart Adventure Pack that includes a 40-slotter, some xp pots, and what not for like $30 and not have people eat that up.

Because that process will be continual. This isn't a question of like 500 players getting up to par and then running out of players... you'll always have people who use the server to get a Backend-Start TLP set of characters ready to go.

Once again... agreed.

The answer to that is the following question: After you get max level(which you would have to do regardless), do you want to be raiding hard versions of Naggy/Vox for 3 months, or be hogrolling the Plane of Time?

And just fyi, I doubt the majority of the population would be 65. Some of those who are Agnarr Purists would stay there, and Triple XP would make for a ton of people showing up along with an Alt Carnival. Remember, just because you have a 65 doesn't mean you can't reroll a different class from Level 1 to join the levelling fun. And you can do it with twink gear, as most of that stuff will be sold in the Bazaar or likely in your bank.

You really underestimate the problems with having no raiding guilds with gear from the start, particularly if you only have two months in GoD. For at least the first couple of months, you'd have to work your way through the same 5 expansions you've already gone through.

Why go to the trouble, when you can simply login your characters on the new server from Day 1? Its far easier to bring someone up to speed than to bring an entire guild raiding system up to speed.
  5. Stagentti Augur

Is this thread still going?

1,100 views and counting yet no one has chimed in supporting this except OP.

Sounds like a money maker idea the community wants for the new server.
    Xhartor, Thalliius and Tribunal-Pinky like this.
  6. Quill Augur

At least you're up front about the Krono.

You guys see a Casual Server Classic TLP Start as a 3-month prison you can game for Krono, and then have the gall to appeal to DBG about making sure that doesn't change in that you're supposedly the ones making them money.

I see a Casual Server as being a place where someone can login, get 1-65 in a couple of days, and be raiding Plane of Time.

Give people the choice of raiding Naggy/Vox or Plane of Time, and watch what happens. I'm sure your wallet will hate me, but the game will be a lot better for it.
  7. Dythan Ban Lev in Plane of Fire guy

Both my wallet and my fanny pack hate you. My shoes are indifferent.
  8. Stagentti Augur

Up front about the krono? What? I never said anything about krono. DBG is a company that's first priority is making money. They want to give a server the community wants that also makes them the most money (aka money maker).

This entire reply makes no sense so I'll just ignore the rest.
  9. Quill Augur

And obviously the one you believe makes them the most money involves three months in Classic where the community gets soaked for Krono(or even that 'the community' wants that). I don't. Difference in opinion. I'd rather actually have a Casual-friendly server. I think you'll find out if you make one, you'll make far more money. And Casual-friendly is not 3 months in Classic followed by 3 months in Kunark. Why not just take them out back and flog them if you're going to inflict that on them?

If all you ever do is sell the same thing over and over... and after 3 years of constant Classic openings, people are saying they're sick of it... you will run the well dry and end up killing your business. If you set both new servers to open to Classic, just completely tone-deaf.

20th is the last chance you can feasibly change the trajectory of the game. Don't waste it feeding the casuals to the Krono farmers.
  10. Renshu Augur

Quill assumes that if you don't agree with him/her 100%, you are an "Evil Krono Farmer". He/she will now quote my response in 10 different quotes, make 800 assumptions, and tell me how much of an idiot I am.
    Xhartor likes this.
  11. Quill Augur

There is a reason normal folks don't tend to post in threads. I'll wholeheartedly take the slings and barbs if it means the idea gets out there.

Whether now or later, I wholeheartedly believe jumpstarted GoD TLP-openers are pretty much inevitable. It finally solves way too many problems that can't be solved any other way.
  12. Valanie Lorekeeper

It still seems to me that the point of this thread is that you don't want your character stuck on Agnarr anymore. However, you should realize that it would be incredibly odd for DBG to make a new server just for those on Agnarr. Why not make a new server for Phinny or Coirnav?

Or, more logically, why not just make a new server where everyone starts on equal footing? (which I am fairly certain is what they are going to do)
    Barton, Thalliius and Dythan like this.
  13. Quill Augur

Uh.. lets go with... no? Its level 60 and I left in Kunark era lol. But nice try. I likely wouldn't even consider playing on Agnarr again.

It would be an ultra-casual server. Using Agnarr is simply a means to an end and how you get there. Using this setup, it wouldn't just be about one server. Agnarr can be used to jumpstart any new back-half TLP server. You'd get an entirely new server type out of it that could be used to not have to burn people out in Classic, continually starting from there. You'd also give people a reason to continue to play Agnarr.

As stated, you can't spin up a Guild Raid Game overnight, particularly when you only have two months before OOW hits. People who complain about not everyone starting at level 1 disregard the advantages that such a situation would provide. And this type of scenario can only ever be done using Agnarr, due to the uniqueness of its ruleset.

You could feasibly start at level 1 and be raiding Time within the first week the server is up. On a level 1 reset, that will not happen unless the server is seriously hardcored Faceless-style. Might be an interesting challenge, but this is meant to be the ultra-casual server... not a race or hardcore situation.

By dropping you into a server that not only has everything from Classic to LDoN to group in, you also don't have to logjam lguk and have very valid choices of what to raid in. A Classic Server start has Naggy/Vox followed by Fear/Hate/Sky. That's it.

The server i'm proposing has everything Time and earlier with guilds that can do it, and you'll also be able to progress through GoD and the future xpacs. All without having to take months, and likely quit as soon as the shine wears off.
  14. Ambee Elder

The idea of starting in an expansion other than classic is not new, and is not the reason people are telling you that this is an awful idea.

Also, believing there's some silent majority out there agreeing with you and it's just Krono farmers telling you that your idea and not "normal people" makes me think you have some sort of mental illness.

Everyone thinks this is a terrible idea. You defending it with such fervor makes you seem unstable
    Renshu, Thalliius and Xhartor like this.
  15. Kahna Augur

1000+ people read this and no one supported it. Do you really think all 1000+ people are krono farmers? Seriously? It's a bad idea, and not because it might hurt Krono sales. There are lots of anti-Krono people on these forums, I don't see any of them supporting your idea.

It's a bad idea because no casual wants to start 5 expansions behind. Even if there is fast exp to get caught up. It's not just about exp, especially not for casuals. You are dismissing the socialization that takes place during those expansions, the free-for-all of getting to know people on a brand new server before all the cliques get established. That is the BIGGEST draw of a new server, your server wouldn't have that draw. Your server would come with pre-made cliques, and those new folks would always be behind the power curve and on the outside looking in, and they know it. People wouldn't make alts and group to level, they would just PL alts with their already level 65 characters, because like you said about exp potions, everything can be done faster.

Good news is DBG is never going to do anything with Agnarr. It is going to sit there for all eternity being the PoP locked server. They don't care if it rots, because it already made them the money they expected to get from it, and it costs them next to nothing to just have it sit there. They will keep their promise, and Agnarr will sit, it's characters locked there until the game sunsets.

Classic launches make money, and they will keep making money, because we can't help ourselves.
    Renshu likes this.
  16. Quill Augur

Nope... most just won't touch this thread with a 100-foot pole knowing certain people with an agenda would slag off on them. And saying no one has supported it is lol.

That they care means they're by definition, not casual. Casual players want to be able to login and play. Because they're casual. They don't care where you and your hardcore pals are in progression.

If its such an issue, guess what... there is a separate server that does exactly what you want and starts in Classic. Maybe they'll have you swim uphill both ways.

Will happen on any server.

Hardcore mentality, through and through. A properly setup server for casual play wouldn't need or care about hardcore cliques. You logon with two or three characters and do stuff on your own time. Socialization, in that situation, is a luxury, not a requirement. This is probably what scares the Hardcore in you the most. That people wouldn't need you.

So basically, how the game has always tended to work?

We'll see. You saying it doesn't make it so.

And nothing I've suggested changes that. In fact, its important that it just sit there and doesn't advance in GoD. If you can't understand that, you really aren't equipped to comment on the voracity of said idea, as you simply don't understand it.

You take the server, clone it, give it a different name, adjust for whatever ruleset you want the new server to have, remove the lock, and go. Its not rocket science and as much as you Really, Really hate it... its a perfectly fine idea.

So essentially what you have is a halted server allowing for more than one fork so that people can easily move into GoD as if the new server were never halted in the first place.

You can only break out Classic as being the only way money can be made, if your point is that more Krono gets bought at that point(which is then given to you in trade for items).

Yet i'm supposed to believe you're a church going choir boy that doesn't have ulterior motives. /nod.
  17. Renshu Augur

We've reached the "EQ Illuminati" stage of this. Good grief!
    Xhartor likes this.
  18. taliefer Augur

i cant believe people are still responding to quill.
    Xhartor likes this.
  19. ayoforYayoh Augur

Within the first few lines of any post i see if i can tell if it's quill or not.

This is my vote to change the name of Agnarr to Ocean of Tears. or Sorrowland
  20. Barton The Mischievous

No to cloned characters on a fresh TLP from any server. Agnarr is a locked server. Keep it locked.
    TheRedBandit likes this.