TBL Group Paladin Goals Help

Discussion in 'Tanks' started by Petalonyx, Jan 29, 2019.

1. Petalonyx Augur

Hi all. Im looking for some assistance on how to improve paladin tankability in end-game group TBL.

I'm currently max AA, full TBL Tier 3, full TBL/ROS aug, cliff stone.

Total self buff HP/AC is 300k/7k.

Specically, what are the top 5 things i could work on from current/past expansions, in terms of time investment to improve tankability? If you could provide an hour estimate to aquire each, that would help a ton when i prioritize. I currently have almost no progression done outside TBL (finished thru Mearatas)

Some things i know im missing that could be included: stone of judgment dodge aug, shield type 5 ac aug, jann illusion, charm type 7 aug better than cotf vendor, special hunter AAs.

Bonus question: if im concerned about mitigating spike dmg in multi-mob scenarios, is wurmslayer from 2 exp ago still BIS?
  2. ptah Augur

Hiya.. adding on and I will try to add to OP
    I play a 110 war in similar boat.. nearly finish lamp camping. with min luck of 4.. yes im repeating it to get 5s.. atleast that's the plan. Long term.

I would like ask about artisan prize?
    Crest ear? RoS
    Yes I suggest Ldon shield aug.. should be a trival for you.. just get a few afk so you request ldon raids.. based on random chest.. 30 mins a day for a week if run bad.
    Judgement Aug.. 45 mins I assume you wizzy merc plane of war and self heal.. faster if bring friends and get jugs to drop it..
    Cop4? within a week 2 or 3 clears of mines til it drops
    Charm aug.. RoF shands landing stone?.. like 30 mins I think if I recall

I would map out anni augs. that time will come soon, be ready

TBM eyes if your server hosts open raids.. %mod to dps and heals..

Hero hero hero hero and more hero

Adventure well and have fun.. I take the 90% rez now.. haha or you quest for stick of da rangers.. 96er
  3. Petalonyx Augur

My understanding is LDON shield aug will come with loss of 55 Hagi/Hsta, 28 Hagi/Hsta plus other lost heroics from the Mortal corporeal Type 5 aug that you'd have to give up.

Is the ac aug still a clear win? Enough to prioritize over other needed upgrades?
  4. Petalonyx Augur

My understanding is the dodge aug drops in a pprtion of a zone that is inaccessible without progression.

Is that true and if so, anyone able to provide a time required estimate that includes progression required?
  5. Israfel Elder

It either doesn’t require progression or, if it does, we’re talking an hour or so.
  6. Khazad New Member

It takes about 30 minutes to get the Zakarian diamond to drop. Then an hour of tedious running around and buying a certain bowin bazaar. The AC Aug is still a clear win IMO, because it's shield AC, which is outside the soft cap AC.
  7. Lubianx Augur

You said that you have TBL and ROS augs.
    The best shield aug is still from EoK.

Doing previous progressions and some hunters will improve those Heroic AAs. One on itself may not seem like much but they add up quickly.

When the Anniversary stuff occurs, you could also get Guardian Circle 3 from Crushbone Raid (or just get a few people and do Beast Domain raid or Miraguel Phylactory raid).

As ptah said also look at Artisan prize and Crestra (if you dont mind tradeskills)
  8. Livvy_CT Elder

What’s your spell line up out of curiosity?
  9. Petalonyx Augur

Preface:
    My paladin is one of 4 on my team (Mag-Mag-Dru-Pal). Currently, his lineup is specifically for AOE healing, passive buffing, debuffing, mitigating spike dmg. He steps in as needed to control adds, LOH, group heal, etc. As an alt-tab boxer, I have much more success mage pet tanking named even at 300k / 7k AC with all my tools in use. I'm almost exclusively interested in passive/ low maintenance durability/healing/buff stuff.

AOE HEALING
    Dissident Force (15.5k heal)
    Wave of Grief (9k heal)
    Wave of Expiation (12k heal)

OH CRAP HEAL
    Expiation (debating a swap to Cleansing/Aurora/Splash since Dissident Force and LOH can cover this, as it is rarely needed/used)

BUFFS
    Ardent Preservation
    Harmonious Blessing
    Defiant Stance
    Blessed Aura (Not sure how helpful this is. It is entirely passive, however, which is good for me)
    Protective Devotion (60k Rune)
    Refute for Honor (17k rune)
    Brilliant Exoneration (Healing Twincast)

DEBUFF
    Sanctimonious Audacity (Agro, Magic Res Debuff)

OTHER
    Valiant Diversion (Agro + heal target's target) - I hardly ever find this useful as i'm rarely seeking aggro, and when i am, I use AA tools. This is one I could sub out.

If you have suggestions, i'm open to them. I'm NOT interested in more self healing. I want to mitigate and control spike dmg.
  10. gotwar Gotcharms

It sounds like you're using your Paladin as a crappy Cleric. Poor guy is probably starved for attention :(

Here's the thing - Paladins take tons of damage. They just do. You mitigate and control spike damage by having a single-target heal output that competes with Clerics. You don't get the "fire-and-forget" mitigation convenience of the other tanks. You have to actively be putting screen-time in on the Paladin.

My Paladin is just an alt, but he has all the bells and whistles you're looking for above and he still takes approximately all the damage all the time. I'm pretty certain even the Paladins loaded up with TBL raid gear are going to tell you the same. They get around it by making SKs jealous with raw heal throughput.

You could definitely eke out a minor edge by doing some of the extra stuff you've listed, but the bottom line is to get the effect you're looking for you're going to have to put in some quality time with your Paladin's kit.
  11. Petalonyx Augur

Not surprised to hear that gotwar. That's actually helpful for me. He does really get played like a bad cleric :) Paladins just struggle mightily with dmg spikes.

TBH, he does what i need him to do on my team. He pulls (his dps is so bad i give up nothimg by sending him put to pull while last mob gets killed). He holds mobs for a few sec with shield flash, deflection. His AOE healing is good. And his OH CRAP group heal/LoH has saved me from wipes/evac many times.

I'll keep trying to toughen him up, but it's been quite evident for a long time that his role in my group will probably never be MT. This is due entirely to his failure to live through spike dmg.
  12. Livvy_CT Elder

I assume you use spurn everytime it’s up? I spam valiant Diversion, protective devotion and refute armor to keep my mitigation up ( diversion just for the healing, helps with spikes)
  13. Petalonyx Augur

Spurn is spamed first thing whenever i toggle to paladin, yes.
  14. Livvy_CT Elder

Do you have a slow belt?
  15. Seldom Augur

Before anything else, I’d put a strong emphasis on making sure you’re using the right combination of disciplines, aa’s and spells. There’s many different things you can do, especially once you gain a better feel for tanking and using what tools at appropriate times based off level of incoming damage you’re taking.

Disciplines:
    Blessed Guardian: This defensive also fires heals off of bashes. With your play style you probably want to make sure to have auto-bash running to fire heals from this. I personally just hit it myself based on spikes etc. Pair this with a heal boost aa such as Armor of Inquisitor.

Karzok Mantle: Pair this with heal boost aa such as First Spire.

Merciful Pentinence: This vie defensive also procs group heals. Pair with heal boost like Group Armor of Inquisitor/First Spire

Dragonscales Glyph: Being max aa, you have the luxury of using this as well on large pulls/difficult encounters.

Deflection: Be thinking of what abilities you should be preparing to use while this ability is about to fade.

All of the above is just a general outline of the type of stuff you should be doing. You always want to be running heal boosts, defensives, BP clicks etc. Always should be casting while tanking multiples. Especially if you’re concerned with spike damage.

Spells:
    You listed Blessed Aura as something you always have memed. This is a 5% heal boost group aura buff. Once you cast, it’s on and can be unmem. Valiant Diversion is one of our most powerful spells and the fact that you don’t use it often is one of the many reasons you’re struggling with spike damage. Paladins deal with spike damage through heals. ToT heals such as Valiant Diversion, Protective Devotion etc. you want to be casting consistently.

Gear Goals:
    You’re on the right track with your current goals of Stone of Judgement, LDON shield aug, special aa’s and the like. I’d also be sure to add if you don’t already have;

Slow and Cripple belts
    Epic: Gives you another heal boost to play with.
    Anguish BP: Free heals when tanking multiples that isn’t on same timer as the other breastplates
  16. Petalonyx Augur

Great stuff there Seldom.

Yes have slow belt. I also have cripple belt for potential swap, though I've never used it due to opportunity costs (rather be lining up mage dps, casting group heals on dru/pal, getting mage pets that can eat spikes on aggro)

Dealing with spike dmg through heals is not much of an option when your spike damage value equals total health. At 300k, i finally feel like i have enough wiggle room to perhaps look a bit more at hp recovery. What i need most however is time. Time to notice danger, time to swap to paladin, time to cast a heal, time for it to land. That's almost entirely based on max hp/rune/mitigation, and not based on recovery/healing, unless the recovery is ongoing/constant, such that it effectively acts as an increase to max hp.

How much effort for anguish BP? I didnt have that on my list. Is progression required?
  17. josh Augur

My two spell recommendations for boxing are revitalizing steel and preservation of the rodcet, they are extremely mana efficient passive heals, they buy you time while playing other toons.

You save time by putting saving heal spells on hot keys. reflexive reverence, marrs gift, gift of life, loh, hand of piety should all be on hot keys, and don't limit yourself to just number keys, i have every button around my movement keys "wasd" bound to something.

My pally is raid geared, but i also do a lot of stuff with my 2 hander out. i 3 boxed this entire expansion with bard, pally, shaman. I don't know what your make up is like, but bards are an absolutely amazing box class, they really do have something for every situation.
  18. Seldom Augur

Anguish BP is relatively low effort. A couple of zone pulls in RCOD should garner you enough faction. Getting 3 candles should be easy also nowadays with auto loot and not needing to go through every corpse. That use to be the most time consuming thing if the candles weren’t selling in Bazaar

I’m not sure what type of haste you’re using on the Paladin but it’s probably worth your time to get Lizardscale Plated Girdle also. This will also be relatively low effort. Won’t need to worry about stockpiling up on a bunch of potions etc. anymore with that
  19. BadPallyGuildLeader Augur

Depending on how much alcohol I'm imbibing I will play the Pally (screentime as Gotwar said) vs. fire and forget SK with self heals. Sometimes you can't be arsed to do all the mashing you have to do on your pally. Mine is not nearly as equipped as yours. I only buff to 270k with 22kAA.... He's a dps class toon for my ST exp grind box group. (At some level that's pathetic I know :D )
  20. Wulfhere Augur

Add Splash because curing stuff helps and is paladin role
    Don't forget Gift of Life and Hand of Piety AA in this category
    Aurora goes in this category, best value would be to macro spam it however

Self only so drop it since pets are tanking
    LOH, GOL, HOP, Reflexive go in this category

Harmonious only helps if the paladin is receiving direct heals, suggest drop it
    Refute mainly helps if the paladin is tanking, suggest use only against undead
    Ardent Cleansing is a heal over time to use on group mates
    Group Armor of the Inquisitor adds healing bonus and AC, stacks with First Spire healing bonus
    Blunted Blade procs stuns that proc Healing Light (group heal) for 5 mins, if paladin is auto attacking

Refute for Honor has undead slow and cripple recourse, goes in this category