A Clever Casual TLP.

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Quill, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Quill Augur

Its an Ultra-Casual Server. Why care? Caring that someone has a 'leg up' is a hardcore conceit. Who are you trying to beat, and why? And at what game? If it follows Phinny Rules, unlocks mean squat. Everything is instanced, so racing means nothing. Have to be in the first guild to kill something and willing to play 14 hours a day to get it? Cool... you aren't Casual.

We'd laugh every time Faceless laid claim to some new first. On Agnarr, that largely meant next to nothing because nobody else even really bothered when it came to racing.

The main reason that most post-Classic openers fail or are 'event' servers is that there simply isn't enough interest or traction to realistically sustain the server with everybody starting multiple xpacs in from scratch. This will have a built-in population that can actually raid end-game from Day 1. That's a world of difference from trying to spin that up from nothing. Having a server start at GoD with everyone at Level 1 is a recipe for a dead server.

This is actually one of the few unique circumstances where I could see a GoD start not only working, but thriving.

The Permanent Triple XP would take care of the rest. Both in catching up and staying caught up fairly casually. Do that, and they'd be coming in off the rafters. At that point you'd have an Alt Carnival at the lower levels, even from those who already have a levelled toon.

Lol.. I haven't been on Agnarr in like 18 months and left largely because of Kunark. I'd rather swim in a pile of glass irl, then play 3 months in Kunark. Such a horrible xpac. This is as much about getting around that, and less about having some sort of advantage. I like to say that If I had originally started in Kunark and not late-Luclin way back when, I would not be playing the game today :/.
  2. Tribunal-Pinky New Member

I like this Idea, we need a CCTLP.

Credit Card Time Locked Progression. Access to this server is restricted to only accounts paid by credit card, no access via Krono!
  3. Thalliius Augur

This reads as someone who invested a lot into Agnarr and now wants DBG to cater specifically to them and bring their characters they worked on to a new server that has continuous progression to free them from their choice of choosing a prison server. Nobody should whine about them being ahead of everyone with their lvl 65, 1000 AA, best in slot gear right out of the gate because, well they’re just a filthy casual anyways so what do they care and why should we listen to their worthless opinions

As someone else stated so bluntly to me about Coirnav, you made your choice and you chose wrong. Time to live with that choice, because they aren’t releasing a new TLP just to cater to Agnarr’s players who have regrets

Can’t wait to see the official ruleset announced, I have a feeling that Coirnav will still be the last one standing at the end of the day

Long live Coirnav, the Master Server!
    Barton likes this.
  4. Quill Augur

The idea is quite simple. Use the previous Casual Server(Agnarr) to jumpstart a new Casual Server(The Storm Lord), while keeping the old one the same. Its quite clever.

Why does this concept scare you so much, that you have to dismiss it out of hand?

I'm well aware there are groups of people that won't like it depending on their outlook. But its still the simplest means to an end(Ultra Casual 20th Server).

Which is more Casual, slogging it out over the next year trying to progress through Trilogy for the 4th year in a row, or using Trilogy to level-up on at fast xp rates? I'd rather have people playing the piss out of LDoN's, than trying to get groups in 50 lguk picks for the thousandth time.

And if you really want to do that... we have a hardcore server just for you.
  5. malaki Augur

Why would you need to clone Agnarr if you say it's trivial to catch up anyways? Either it's a huge advantage or it's not and if it's not then it's just unnecessary.
  6. Ambee Elder

I don't know what's funnier, the fact that anyone would think this is a good idea, or how Quill lashes out with a temper tantrum whenever someone points that out to him
  7. Guzzle Augur

It doesn't scare me, it's just a dumb idea.

Why does the concept that you have a dumb idea scare you so much that you have to dismiss it out of hand?
    Ceffener likes this.
  8. Quill Augur

Because the concept of a pure GoD-opener where everyone starts from level 1 has never worked.

You simply can't get the traction needed.

And if you already have a levelled and geared toon, it is an advantage that you earned through actually killing everything to get it. Either way, its also the ultra-casual server, so why care? How does a group of people having some gear that they earned effect your ability to do the same? Think really hard about that before you answer and realize how its an advantage for you to have established guilds on server to choose from that are Time-capable from Day One that you can progress forward with once you hit max level.

Both sets of people(the established and the new) help each other and allow the server to thrive as it moves into the back side of the game.

Or lets put it this way. You're on the ultra-casual server... do you want to be raiding Nagafen and Vox for 3 months, or Plane of Time with a guild that likely has BiS across the board and can shower you with a backflag and gear to get you up to speed?

That's not a hard question and has an easy answer.
  9. Machentoo Augur

All those many times it has been tried?
  10. modsiw Augur

/thread

If people have to start over with blank characters, it will sell a lot more micro-transactions than if you can copy over characters that already have these things and therefore don't need to buy them. I'm not sure how anyone could make an argument against this or argue that DBG isn't going to factor in profits as a major consideration for the rule sets.
  11. Quill Augur

And usually when they have done a GoD opener its 51/50 or some sort of gimmick to jump-start players. This is simply a different form of jump-start to get the server stable.

No really... which would you rather raid on the ultra-casual server in March? Naggy/Vox or Plane of Time? Seriously.

The Agnarr Server provides a scenario where you can feasibly use one server to jumpstart another... and at a perfect point to do so. If successful, keep in mind there is no reason you can't do it again and again as a way of being able to start a TLP for back-half progression, without having to take a year-plus long run through Classic.

It also solves the end-of-life problems for Agnarr itself as in the future, people will feasibly play Agnarr to get characters up in preparation for future back-half TLP starts. Its so stupidly simple that it can't not be the answer.
  12. Machentoo Augur

You must have missed my sarcasm.

There hasn't been a server that opened with GoD since GoD was live and they were still launching new servers.

It has literally never been tried in a TLP environment.

So it is ridiculous to say that it has always failed.
  13. Owch Crotchety SOB

"This is a great idea."

- Nobody
    Thalliius likes this.
  14. HoodenShuklak Augur

Are you supposing that your counter-argument be that it has, in fact, never failed, thus it is a good idea?
  15. Machentoo Augur

Of course not. A lot of things have never been tried. That doesn't make them all good ideas.

But when someone posts 5 reasons why it has always failed, when it's never even been tried... That's absurd.
    HoodenShuklak likes this.
  16. johnnie Journeyman

both servers take true box off,instead of picks allow groups of 3 or more to get a task so everyone that wants to camp an item can do so without people cycling trough the pics,allow an open world zone for all zones for who ever wants to fight over it and make all raids and picks instanced also,box armies would still make kronos from people willing to spend cash for upgrades,everyone wins.
  17. Quill Augur

And for some reason, you can't understand why they haven't just done that in the modern era? Mainly because doing so is an incredibly bad idea. You simply cannot get the traction needed. Nobody wants to spin-up serious raiding guilds with everybody starting at level 1 in GoD. And Its not like they haven't tried post-Classic openers in the past, all the way to simply opening a new server, and haven't seen them fall on their face.

But using Agnarr to jumpstart GoD TLP opener(s)? That's a million dollar idea right there. As stated, you simultaneously solve multiple major problems, not least of which is giving Agnarr an actual purpose and people a reason to play there now and in the future.

Lets say you missed out on the first TLP-GoD opener. So you get characters up to par on Agnarr in preparation, and sometime later they spinoff another GoD opener. Now you can immediately jump into the new server with both feet, while still preserving all your characters on Agnarr.

Or lets put it this way, exactly what else are you going to do with Agnarr, other than continue to watch it sail into the night? This is literally the first time someone has actually come up with an answer to solving Agnarr's EOL issues, that preserves the original conceit and setup of that server.

That some people, likely with an ulterior motive, think its a bad idea pretty much confirms it isn't. As laid out, if you live and die off farming Krono at a TLP Classic Start.. you're thoroughly screwed. What are you going to sell on this server that can't easily be obtained by other means? Time gear is going to rain. There are plenty of options to the Classic Krono-getters.

"This is a great idea"

-Said no Krono farmer ever.

FTFY @Owch.
  18. Machentoo Augur

Continue watching it sail into the night. Exactly right. This is precisely what the people who asked for Agnarr wanted. The very reason it exists is so it can just sit there, forever continuing on, locked permanently at PoP/Ldon. No need to do anything else with it.
    Barton likes this.
  19. Quill Augur

Right... because they make money watching people retire and servers die :/.

And what i'm suggesting is exactly as it is now. It can just sit there, forever continuing on, locked permanently at PoP/LDoN. That's actually a benefit in this scenario. If that is your thing, nothing changes. A promise fulfilled.

Using it to Jumpstart GoD-start TLP's doesn't change that. It simply makes them more money from both the new server and reinvigorating the old by giving it a reason to be played and exist now and into the future. And I've been assured that whatever makes money is the best way to determine what DGB will do next.

Here is the thing.. if you're going to have a new post-Classic start TLP server, why wouldn't you bring the inertia of Agnarr to get it rolling? Principle? If you aren't going to do that, you're just aiming a gun at the server before it ever starts, and it'll likely fall on its face. As much as you may think that somehow a GoD-start TLP server with everyone starting at Level 1 would work, simply because it hasn't been tried.... just... nope.
  20. Ambee Elder

We can all safely say this is the worst idea for a TLP yet, so why continue to bump it?