Tutorial on casual TLP?

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Daragoth, Jan 26, 2019.

1. Daragoth Lorekeeper

Just an idea. How about enabling the Mines of Gloomdeep on the casual TLP. This would allow most toon to enter the real world around level 11 and with a set of starter gear (gloom plate etc) and maybe a low level haste item or focus effect.

I'm not 100% sure I even like this idea, but just seeing what everyone else thinks.
  2. HoodenShuklak Augur

Not much of a sales pitch imo.

Unless you're using reverse psychology.

In either case, running around newbie yards with tons of people is one of the most glorious EQ experiences.
    Xyroff-cazic. and snailish like this.
  3. TheRedBandit Elder

Definitely not a bad idea. I think ultra casuals would appreciate the gloomingdeep armor, or at least newbie armor quests in from day 1.
  4. Daragoth Lorekeeper

I was not selling it, just throwing it out there.
  5. HoodenShuklak Augur

If you put that armor in you might as well make sure the server progresses or start in some later expansion, because the gear trivializes classic so people literally will just need to level up. There will be virtually no item market that youre used to.

I mean, it changes everything from making the grind easier to trivializing camps, killing the markets, etc.
  6. Machentoo Augur

Several thousand level 1's all hitting mines of gloomingdeep at the same time on launch would be pretty awful. Even if they set the pick threshold really low, the zone isn't really designed to handle more than a single group of level 1's starting at the same time. Imagine the queue to get through spider tamer.
  7. Daragoth Lorekeeper

I agree it makes most of pre-planes armor obsolete, one if the biggest reasons I'm not 100% committed to the idea. There are lots of classic drops I would consider upgrades, but none really obtainable pre level 40. Really depends which way DB wants to take the casual server.
  8. taliefer Augur

the tutorial stuff is probably too stat and resist heavy to even really consider, but i always thought the newbie armor quests were fine. and they all have really low ac, so its not like they are great for tanks. but i doubt we see either on a new server that starts on classic
  9. HoodenShuklak Augur

Not to mention that sow clicky that would kill a major reason for alchemy bros to hang out in EC. I wasn't an alchemist on Agnarr, but I imagine SOW pots in early EQ TLP are their bread and butter.
  10. snailish Augur

Tutorial is itemized with a much later quality of gear than when tutorial was first made. It's era-set to GoD and the gear is arguably still out of whack then, but it is past the point of being a true harm to progression lowbie itemization because the lowbie game is mostly gone by then. [TSS is the only time you get a bump back in the low game]

They spent a lot of time era-setting the "newbie" gear to PoP. They put it there because it really is that good compared to the "original vision" of itemization for under 40 gear into Luclin era. Could they have set it at Luclin? Probably. Is the work to change this (again) worth the time now.... probably not. Other things should take priority.

Ultra casual does not mean incapable of handling the challenge of playing. It means needs a much longer time to climb the grind due to playing less in a given week than the more hardcore playerbase.

This is a balance of XP versus unlocks... make the XP high and the unlocks long.

This does not require live server freebies like defiant gear, tutorials, out of era handouts, etc.
  11. malaki Augur

The quest reward armor is all just renamed Crude Defiant.
  12. Elite_raider Augur

TBH, I think leaving the tutorial in on an Ultra Casual server from day 1 would kinda ruin it a bit. I would rather they leave defiant drops in and instead add the tutorial in late Kunrak, when there are less "new" people joining the server. This is when it would actually have a benefit for the Ultra Casuals, to pool them all in to one area, so that you do not get the feeling that you are alone in the world. This would leave the epic feel of everyone running around in the newbie zones from day one and fix the problem of "empty" newbie zones when the TLP servers usually get to that stage :)

Also from lvl 10/12 is when most characters leave their respective "city" areas and go to the "meet up" experience zones.

I started making the post above, but in the middle of it I kinda realized that leaving the tutorial in from day 1 would ease new players (spouses, kids, new players) in to the game, teaching them all the facets of the game. And the benefit from that may outweigh the other stuff. Besides, if you are old school, you do not need to start in the tutorial if you do not want to, if they leave defiant in you can leave the tutorial at lvl 2 with a sow stick and go to Crushbone any ways :D
  13. FIsh Lips Augur

Killing item markets is a good thing for a casual server. Player driven markets and krono farm crap is what makes that era unapproachable to casuals and why some of us who have played the game for years still have not done some very basic quests. We just don't have the time or interest in competing for mobs/spawns/camps.

However doing so this way ensures also that there is no particular reason to do raid content until around Velious. That's probably just not any fun.

The best choice I think is still to radically increase drop rates, but no gloomingdeep armor. The tutorial mode itself though seems viable, you don't particularly need the armor in there to beat it, although it certainly would be more challenging.
  14. Elite_raider Augur

I don't agree with you on this one, even cof from original is better then defiant gear, so there will be plenty of reasons to do raid targets as long as they make the raid targets accessible to the Ultra Casuals.
  15. snailish Augur

Give the ultracasuals time (long unlocks) and (really) high XP and there is no need for a tutorial ever.

Ignoring the era-inflated gear in tutorial, the mad XP rate from kills and quests (hand in Flutterwing's egg at low level for the quest...) is the only thing that makes it appealing after you have done it once.
  16. Grubbie New Member

I don't know many "ultracasuals" that will be interested in raiding. The ones that I know are going to be interested in a slower pace(xpacs unlocking), doing trade skills, levelling alts, etc. Raiding isn't a term in the ultracasual world, as far as I am concerned, and I would call myself a casual player - I don't want to race through anything, at all.

Leave the gear in, or don't, it likely makes zero difference to casuals. All class/race combinations at the start will be good for the casual crowd though.
  17. FIsh Lips Augur

I don't understand or agree. Raiding is a major part of the game. What makes it unfun to casuals is the competing for spawns, batphone schedules, incredibly large guilds and complex loot assignment rule, the weekly (or greater) repetition for little or no reward, and the pressure to only play with the best players, rather than your friends and family.

Tradeskills and alts are important, although TSes are mostly about your ability to farm (plat or items, or both), so I haven't tried to do them since 2005, that kind of grind I don't need, although would do if it were more accessible.