Artisan's Prize and raiding...

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Durbah, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Durbah Lorekeeper

So, naturally, I am playing a cleric and want to raid, but most guilds I talk to keep wanting me to get the Artisan's Prize, like, listen, I don't want the stupid thing because I gotta tradeskill to do it, and personally, tradeskills are way too boring to do, plus all the farming in 500 different zones it's so annoying...

Why did you have to make something so powerful and only obtainable through tradeskills? Is that the only way DBG could get people to do them? I mean, am I wrong for complaining about this? Why do you need this to raid?
  2. Tarvas Redwall of Coirnav, now Drinal

Yes, you are wrong to complain about how to obtain it, but you are right to complain about raid guilds wanting you to get it even though you clearly don't want to do tradeskills. That aug, even maxed out, isn't going to make the slightest bit of difference to the final outcome of any event.
  3. Sokki Still Won't Buff You!!

You can buy a lot of stuff to make it, I know there's someone on Povar that sells the Solstice Earring and all 12 seals. You still would have to do Aid Grimel which requires a decent TS skill to complete though.
  4. Wizlard Augur

5.5k HP is never the difference between dying and living. :rolleyes:
  5. Tarvas Redwall of Coirnav, now Drinal

In certain circumstances sure, just like one more hp could be the difference between living and dying. Given damage output from today's raid mobs though, most certainly not often enough to be statistically worthy of consideration.
  6. Jhenna_BB Proudly Prestigious Pointed Purveyor of Pincusions

It's arguable that the AP is even worth the time to get for both priests and silk classes. Heroic stats and AC does way more for melees and tanks. Getting 350 to all skills as a priest or silk is most definitely arguable that it's a complete waste of time at the very least - as far as stats on the aug. Spell damage and heal amount don't do enough to tip the scales to justify it being a requirement, either. As said above, 5.5k HPs isn't all that likely to save you as much as people wish it was the case.

Any level of raiding guild that won't take on a well played cleric that doesn't have an AP can send them RA's way.
  7. Kobrah Augur

Too many bad played, well equipped characters out there to pass up a well played character over an aug imo.
  8. Jhenna_BB Proudly Prestigious Pointed Purveyor of Pincusions

This guy gets it! :D
  9. Kolani Augur

What server are you on? If you're already on Firiona Vie, open to transferring or rolling a new character, Symphony of Arms on Firiona Vie is actively seeking priests and enchanters, and we don't care if you have an AP or not. We raid on Thursday and Friday, we've cleared the Stratos and Doomfire General Parmesan raids and looking for more people to move into more TBL content. Drop me a message here or contact Viridisquae, Frikk, Lovehaas or Inalok/Kolani in game. We provide healthcare and a company mount, Essence of the Dragon is encouraged but not required prior to application.
    Axel2 and Funk like this.
  10. Smokezz The Bane Crew

For our guild, a good set of augs is needed. We don't single out specific augs as a requirement. Wouldn't make a whole lot of sense to me to do so.

That said... it's the guilds rules that you're talking to. If they want to require max AA and every single aug be the best it can be? It's their choice to do so. Coming here to complain isn't going to change it. There are lot of guilds that don't require it.
  11. Riou EQResource

Not wanting to get the best aug in the game for the next like 10 years shows the player doesn't care about min maxing their toon, if you don't care to put in some effort to min/max your toon you don't look good to the top guilds.

You can do the Artisans prize in like a week and with just the free scribed TS books, it's significantly better still then every other aug in the game.
    Allayna likes this.
  12. Sancus Augur

Not really. Stats are pointless in EQ, actual min-maxing has nothing to do with stat augs.
    gotwar likes this.
  13. Aurastrider Augur

Throughout EQ history tradeskills have been a staple for great gear. Those willing to put in the time and effort were rewarded which is no different than obtaining good gear via raiding its just a different type of "work". Unfortunately they abandoned this concept in TBM with no new tradeskills, they also stopped making cultural in TBM and have zero plans to do future cultural armor but instead we are left with things like AP. I don't think it should ever be required over skill but I can certainly see where gear is a determining factor if you have multiple applicants fighting for the same position just like in real life. At the end of the day to only make great gear obtainable via one route such as raiding creates a huge discrepancy in player stats which makes tuning content more difficult. Skill is still king but even skill doesn't do anyone any good if they are floating above their corpse due to lack of HP.
    NeverPayForLag likes this.
  14. Tarvas Redwall of Coirnav, now Drinal

Heh, AP has absolutely nothing to do with min/maxing except for people who like to look at stats. How many points is it again to see any kind of quantifiable results from heroics?
  15. Riou EQResource

If stats didn't matter TBL wouldn't have had to have been nerfed twice so far, and mercenaries wouldn't have to be buffed.

It's no different then your aug slots being empty, it shows how serious and how much you care about maximizing your toon.
    Allayna likes this.
  16. Sancus Augur

That's a non sequitur. People's varying experiences in TBL are due to competency at the game. Them having or not having AP (or an empty aug slot) would have no impact on their success.
    gotwar and OldCa61 like this.
  17. Bamboompow Augur

Aug slots being empty is one thing. The lack of the AP, The Tears of Alaris, or the shawl is another. People have different thresholds where "character improvement" becomes monotonous drudgery. It would be more of a plus to me when vetting an app that someone plays what they have at their disposal with skill, and is a good person to be around as opposed to if they can spend 60 hours a week killing grey cons.

Personally, I thought getting the AP in its base form was decent enough quest/achievement but maxing it is pure BS and a waste of my precious time on this Earth. I still have Cresta's to do so that says how much free time I have (next to zero). Anyway that kind of grinding can be left for those that just MUST be the top in stats. Which is fine. People get out what they get out. The game is forgiving enough, though, to skip some things. Yes, stats matter but requiring PERFECT stats is a bridge too far.
  18. gotwar Gotcharms

It's kind of silly to require a completed AP to raid.

That being said, most guilds are going to look at your augs, gear, and AA count to determine how much work you've put into your character and how much further work may be needed. If you're lacking in a few of the "required" areas, contact that guild's leadership and explain your situation - if you are able to make a good impression, falling short of the requirements may not matter. Your particular class and the guild's need for said class is going to be a factor here.

I would much rather take an applicant who displays extensive class/raid knowledge and a go-getter attitude than someone who went through the motions getting gear and AA after following a guide on the interwebz.

Having a decent reference never hurts, either.
    feeltheburn, Allayna and Sancus like this.
  19. Riou EQResource

If your guild is doing TBL raids, Crestra's is upgraded via either of the 2 tiers :)
  20. Allayna Augur

We have it on our app. It's not required, but like many have said here, it shows character development, it shows that you log in and play outside of raid times. We also interview potential applicants in teamspeak, involving a class leader, officer and/or leader.

Being a cleric we'd rely heavily on heal parses, cast counts, understanding of your class and ability to follow directions.