DO NOT start new TLPs in Classic!

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Phinius, Jan 25, 2019.

1. HoodenShuklak Augur

Hell, I'm not even feeding my kids until I layout my gear flowchart at least through GoD for my new toon.
    Phinius likes this.
  2. Vaneksniper Elder

AGREE! F CLASSIC
    Phinius likes this.
  3. snailish Augur

Forum posters are not representative of the actual population on progression or live. Raiding is way over-represented as the be and end all on the forums. The casual, in particular the not currently playing, are far less likely to post.

Hardcore and Ultra-casual are niche server concepts. Neither will likely have large population longterm compared to other progression, particularly Phinny --but I don't think that is what they are trying to do here.

I think they are catering to capture some specific audiences they haven't held well, or had in some time. And being able to say "there we did that". I expect a full on Phinny restart next year as the wide-appeal thing that will have massive population.

This leads me to believe hardcore will be racing unlocks and possibly be lacking many features that make it easier to kill things, but it may have good XP. Trilogy start could also work, whether killing Naggy (etc.) is part of the unlock Luclin requirements or not.

Super casual... I think they do a classic start with high XP, phinny rules and long unlocks, might even be free trade. That's the formula best suited for limited playtime people that don't want to login behind the population. This population keeps quitting early on past progression so it won't be raid guild friendly at all (in respects to not being boring farming the same targets for months) and if you play semi-regularly you will have a fleet of leveled alts.

I won't be surprised if a fair number of current players stay where they are. After all, if super-casual is serious about that label you could play there on Sundays and stay with the curve. If hardcore is serious about racing... you have to commit to the race early as those rulesets have been about a handful of guilds in the past.
  4. andross77 Elder

This exactly. DBG's decisions are based (obviously) upon past business success/failure. I could be totally wrong but I feel like Classic with FBSS and Eboots and then kunark with epics brings in TONS and I mean TONS of krono. No way they would forgo that so that a small group of people that reroll on every server and have been playing for 20 years don't get bored and have a better experience.
  5. Phinius Elder

No question the decisions will be based on money in the end. But could it be argued that there would actually be more potential krono sales with a Trilogy release versus Classic? All the above items mentioned are still very relevant in Velious, plus many more items to grind for and sell! There are only so many ways to upgrade your Classic character, and many of them not all that difficult to farm on your own or with a small group of friends.

Who knows for sure until they try it!
  6. Elite_raider Augur

I will probably not be able to play on a hardcore server due to family and stuff, but how about it being racing unlock, but with a timer unlock as well. Meaning if no one has "finished" the expansion in 3 months, the next expansion still unlocks?

This would prevent the server from getting "stuck".
    snailish likes this.
  7. snailish Augur

^I think this (auto unlocks kick in to prevent stuck) should be applied to every progression server* when it is clear it is risking being stuck (as per the ruleset).

*that isn't locked on purpose (Agnarr)
    *that doesn't have active population using the vote system (Ragefire/Lockjaw) --but if they go like Fippy, toss the auto unlock onto them.
  8. oldkracow 9999 Is the Krono Account Limit

If you don't like classic, just wait a few months until the expansion comes around you want to play in.

Otherwise Classic is where it's going to start just because it puts everyone in close proximity and feels more alive.
  9. andross77 Elder

But that's not true at all is it? I mean the big krono items are Eboots and FBSS in classic. By Velious you have like 5 other haste belts and at least Coldain boots to drop the value of those others. So instead of eboots constantly going for 2kr they go for 2k which is a massive difference. But whatever, we agree that DBG will make the decision based on money and neither of us have the cold hard krono facts so we're kinda just guessing :) Either way, I'll see you and the others on the Ultra-Casual server!
    Phinius likes this.
  10. Ermok Lorekeeper

On the surface it sounds fun to start with the complete Trilogy live. After all it is still a pretty linear progression from 1-60 and represents the "complete" classic experience for most.

However, much of the Classic and Kunark group loot and raid content is trivialized by Vellious options and many would skip it entirely. Then after a few weeks players will be bored by Vellious and demanding SoL be released. It is not as if they will find more time by "backtracking" the first 2 contents.

Releasing Classic and Kunark at the same time is a bit more linear and sensible but it would still trivialize Nagg/Vox/PoH/PoF as superfluous content. Then you would still have the problem of players complaining for Vellious release sooner rather than later.

The same order every time is the only sensible path for progression and longevity.
    Koshk and andross77 like this.
  11. Machentoo Augur

17 guilds in dodh and full on the pop meter most evenings isn't enough to qualify as a large population?

There's an enduring narrative that TLP's cannot keep population into these eras, but Phinny has shown it just ain't true.
  12. Smakk Journeyman

I would do classic again only if there was a good reason. First would be a very short duration for classic, say 3-4 weeks. Second would be the ability to collect the old items that where available back in the day but sadly are no longer in the game.

Just for the brief time classic is open, it would be awesome if they could:
    Have the original Mana Stone drop off of random mobs in zone instead of a giant floating eyeball.
    Jboots drop again, with original effect, but small chance from any named mob in the zone instead of just the one named.
    Moss covered twig could be a quest.

And so on. There are lots of things that the developers could do to entice people back to classic, the best thing being make it different from all the previous restarts.
  13. Xianzu_Monk_Tunare Augur

The later in you start the sever the less money that will be made from it, the earlier you start it the more money that will be made from it.
    Crayon123 likes this.
  14. Dariuse New Member

Launch with trilogy. That is classic enough for any newcomers and enough variety in leveling paths for people who have played through the frog genocide simulator enough. It also establishes raiding as part of the plan and not an afterthought. It's the best solution.
    practicalnurse and Crayon123 like this.
  15. pinco Lorekeeper

I raid 2 or 3 times a week with a good guild on a tlp server,were in dodh right now i play at least 20 plus hours a week and i read the forums to have a good laugh.
    I love when a new tlp server comes out i race to lvl 50 and then stop playing on the server because of truebox,its nice to be able to box the wifes cleric when she cant play and to box another account,2 pc set up would be possible like 12 plus years ago but 3 pc would be a pain,thats what i love about my non true box tlp .
    please daybreak give us a new tlp each year starting in original eq and no true boxing also give us raid instances from the word go and if you really want go the extra mile give us tasks picks for all the best non raid gear with a lockout timer say guk task for 6 hours and a cool down of 2 or 3 days,soul b etc.
    so people will not be able to pick over and steal other peoples camps,also these forces the group to move to another zone,also keep an open world pick for all the zones.
    Everyone would be able to get the gear they want other by killing the mobs that drop them or buying from farmers,but these way no one would be stopped from getting the camp they want and the gear they want(also epic drops).long live eq and daybreak games.
  16. Valanie Lorekeeper

Speaking as a casual, I definitely want to play classic. If you want to skip classic, just play on one of the existing TLP's.
    andross77 and Jontrann like this.
  17. Stagentti Augur

Same.

I don't understand people's logic on this. You literally have multiple other servers to start on if you don't like classic.

Ultra casual people want classic. They want to experience that content.
  18. Elite_raider Augur

I "third(?)" this :p A new Ultra Casual TLP should start in classic in my humble opinion, I could post a lengthy analysis why it will benefit DBG and the Ultra Casuals, but I am pretty sure they have the numbers already to make this decision.
  19. Lowlife Lorekeeper

I think this was true in the past but there aren't going to be the same amount of people returning to EQ. The large population of people who ever will return and weren't playing already are already done forever. I think that with new TLP's that the real target audience is existing players. If you haven't played EQ in 10 years, I don't think that the 'next' TLP will bring them back. Those users already never heard about it, or chose not play EQ again after the first, 3rd, 4th etc server.
  20. Lowlife Lorekeeper

Ultra casual people already had lots of chances to experience the classic content. This thread is about how things could be different. There is a lot of things people like about different. They could still make money on this.