Please do something with Mercenary Tanks Daybreak

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Nickalispicalis, Jan 19, 2019.

1. Nickalispicalis Journeyman

When I Shaman or SK pet can out tank a Mercenary something is not right. They are utterly useless in their present form. I would rather see them remove from the game completely then leave them in this state. That way no one will be tempted to use to tank anything above an Orc Pawn.
  2. Tatanka Joe Schmo

Yeah, removing them works /rollseyes

Not saying you're wrong about them, but let's keep the hyperbole to reasonable levels.

I can tank a little better than my tank merc, but without it to keep agro, how would I cast the heals and damage spells needed to actually kill the mob?

They have a use. Not as much as they ought to be, but they do have a use.
  3. Monkman Augur

4. Nickalispicalis Journeyman

It is not just Mercs at 110 that need help though. I find after about level 65, Merc Tanks rapidly start to lose their effectiveness.

One glaring problem that DB could look at is Mercenary Equipment. The present system makes no sense at all. You can start equipping Mercenaries at level 75, but what level do you have to be to earn the currency necessary to purchase the equipment? Probably Level 100, maybe a little less if you are boxing. By the time you are level 100, what need to you for Level 75 equipment? If they want players to start to be able to equip Mercenaries starting at level 75, shouldn't the currency to buy the equipment be accessible by a character that is around level 75?

Even the Mercenary equipment that you can buy in the bazaar that drops off Mobs is only top tier. I don't think any of the lower tiers comes off mobs at all.
  5. Conq Augur

Merc's are The Devil.
  6. Ceffener Augur

Dead hills HA start at 75 with no progression required to purchase the Merc gear. JMan V also unlocks at level 75. Mercs can be stronger, but the idea wasn’t for 1 tank Merc to replace 4 players, they were supposed to replace 1 tank. It’s much later than 65 when they stop being able to do that.
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare and Quatr like this.
  7. Tucoh Augur

How do you trade MoV?

http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/item.html?item=113459
  8. Ceffener Augur

9. Nickalispicalis Journeyman

Aren't those HA missions group missions? Not a lot groups at the level 75 range. If you can solo or box any of them, let me know. As I understand it, it will take the highest level character in your group as the average, so it isn't going to help you any to have a higher level toon in your group to blow through them.
  10. Tatanka Joe Schmo

Yeah, not tradable for the rest of us. I wish they'd update housing to allow newer currencies to be used. The last one allowed is Dream Motes from HoT. Or is it Chronobines from SoD?

At this point, I have well over 22,000 MoV, and nothing I want to spend them on. And 6 more collectables I still need from CotF HAs, a few of which are being real PITAs, so I'll probably wind up with 30,000 by the time it's all said and done. And I'm sure there are people with more than me. I never grinded (ground?) Gribbles to level.
  11. Ceffener Augur

They are designed around 2-3 people and mercs, some classes could solo Gribbles (pretty sure my SHD with cleric merc would be fine), most should be able to 2 box/group. They scale to highest level, but cap at the expansion they came out in, so 110 would blow through most the deadhills HA.

Also has the benefit of probably being the best exp you can get.
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare likes this.
  12. So Happy Augur

I vote for Krono being the devil, at least on the TLPs. To each his own, I guess.
  13. GoneFission Augur

I don’t know about the vendor items from MoV currency, but I burned a lot of otherwise useless HoT currency by buying non-vis items (rings, necklaces, etc.) and using them for tribute. I’d open a tribute vendor next to the HoT vendor and buy/tribute until the tribute guy poofed.
  14. Tatanka Joe Schmo

Hehe, I have the opposite problem :)

I tribute whatever no drop items I've collected going after older hunters (or just old gear I've replaced). Found out personal tribute maxes out at 800k! So far, guild tribute hasn't maxed out, and I'm well over 800k now. The problem is, I don't ever really see anything that looks desirable as far as tribute effects, so I basically never turn it on. Granted, I have very few trophies, so I may get to the point where I start spending it.
  15. Quatr Augur

My Bazaar-geared Monk moloed Gribbles in the 80s and low 90s. Around level 94 it became too nerve-wracking to be enjoyable. I could still do it, but Monks' low mitigation and high avoidance meant that my HP bar was all over the place.

Knights didn't have this problem, but it took them longer to kill mobs. Other classes had other problems: reliance on tank mercs, trouble splitting linked mobs and so on.
  16. Arraden Augur

I've found merc tanks to lvl 100 were fine - ok in HAs in CtoF etc.
    AFter that, they became progressively harder to keep up - impossble to do low tier name spawns and switched to using enc / enc pet to rune tank.

Now, when I'm grouping and there aren't any tanks, I use a healer merc and go into battle cleric mode.
    I stay alive better as the tank than the merc does - was particularly useful in Howling Stones on undead.
    Quatr and Yinla like this.
  17. Bamboompow Augur

Where did all the real tanks go? Thought there was a ratio of 1 SK to every 4 other classes out there?
  18. Gialana Augur

Guild tribute maxes at 2 million.