2 new TLPs announced for 20th Anniversary

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Elbereth, Jan 23, 2019.

1. HoodenShuklak Augur

You have to race to the end game in order to be ready for the next TLP.

You want to enjoy the ride? Look at Fippy or something. There is no end, just many beginnings.
  2. Lion of God Elder

If you enjoy the journey of leveling to maxlevel, that's fine. I personally hate leveling. It's repetitive and it's boring. I've probably leveled over a 100 characters to max level at this point (in multiple MMORPGs). Quite frankly, I'm over it. This is ESPECIALLY true in early EQ expansions. You literally press one or two buttons over and over again; occasionally sitting for 5 minutes afterwards. A very engaging and exciting journey indeed!

Raiding with and progressing through endgame content with a guild is what I enjoy. I wouldn't play these type of games if it weren't for the endgame gameplay.
    Thalliius and Crayon123 like this.
  3. taliefer Augur

The Everquest treadmill churns, and servers come and pass, leaving friends that become memories. Memories fade to acquaintances, and even acquaintances are barely forgotten when the next servers are announced. On one server, called a dead server by some, a server yet alive by others, a ruleset rose amongst its team of developers. The ruleset was not the end all be all, for there are no endings to the everquest TLP treadmill. But it was A ruleset
    Dahaman, skattabrainz and Machentoo like this.
  4. Xhartor Augur

Meth
  5. Aiona Augur

Reading this reminded me of the guy who named his new main character "Hardcore" and then ran to Nexus and started spamming for power levels to PL his toon.

I thought it was hilarious as did a few others.

Maybe it would be more popular than I thought to start a TLP server that bumps your character level and AA level to max at each point so no one has to bother with leveling? :p
  6. SiegeT New Member

There are definitely some good ideas in here. Hopefully someone at Daybreak is paying attention. It seems to me that a lot of people (Daybreak too?) seem to focus on the time aspect being what separates Casual and Hardcore. If we think like that, I'm slightly worried that we end up with 2 uninspiring servers where the Hardcore server ends up being Phinny/Coirnav with a small twist like 2 month unlocks instead of 3 and the "Ultra Casual" ends up being an Agnarr clone that doesn't lock and removes keying or something.

In my opinion there are 2 other aspects that separate Casual and Hardcore: Competition and Efficiency.

The competition part of it is pretty simple. Hardcores like to compete. They like the challenge of having something besides a script that they have to beat. Casuals don't care too much about that. They just want to defeat the encounter.

Efficiency is an area that isn't really talked about much. The Hardcore always tries to figure out the most efficient way to get to the top. Min/Maxing is part of it but it goes beyond that. Or you could say they min/max every aspect of the game. If a Hardcore got invited to two groups, one in South Karana doing Aviaks and the other in Guk, there is no question where they are going. A Casual might choose the Aviaks for their own reasons. A Casual might do a quest they deem as fun to get a reward that will be outdated in a few weeks. A Hardcore wouldn't. They view it as a waste of time. A Casual might get a useless tradeskill to max. A Hardcore wouldnt. There are many things a Hardcore chooses not to go because it is not the most efficient way of increasing their power. Some Hardcores do actually do some of the above things. The reason why is they have nothing better to do at that moment. The servers we have don't cater to Hardcores very well.

So, these new servers should take into account all 3 of the aspects: Time, Competition and Efficiency. Here is an example using many of the ideas that people have said.
    Hardcore:
    Unlocks: Instant upon completion of current era Raid targets. This would really push the Hardcore to find the most efficient way to progress. Clear the planes as soon as you have enough 46s and Kunark unlocks. Half of your guild is still 46. What do you do? Farm gear? Level? Try do Kunark raids? The most efficient guild will pull ahead.
    AoCs: no AoCs but really fast respawn time on raid targets. like 12 hours. This should get the competitive side going and expansions should be going fast enough that Naggy would just end up being a waste of time because there are better targets. If we still worry about being an issue, an alternative is insanely low lockouts. ie. 12 hours.
    MotM: A tweak to MotM damage numbers or unexpected ability usage would be cool but probably too much work.
    Exp Rate: Phinny/Coirnav is fine. Hardcores don't care.

Ultra Casual:
    Unlocks: 3-4 Months. Casuals don't usually complain about the new expansion not coming soon enough. They have alts to level / better gear to get on their mains / Tradeskill etc.
    AoC: 1 week lockout is fine. Casuals don't spend enough time raiding to utilize faster lockouts.
    MotM: Lower numbers for MotM. Start at Velious MotM in classic and lower it each expansion. Remove it completely at Velious or maybe Luclin. Let Casual guilds with low attendance have fun.
    Exp Rate: Agnarr or better. Casuals get to level up their Main and all their Alts.
    Rares: Double Rare loots. Fun times =).

It will be fun to see what Daybreak comes out with and I'll see you all on whichever of the 2 servers sounds better ;).
  7. Jontrann Augur

Add in FV Ruleset and beastlords/berserkers at launch and i would never leave this server.
    Crayon123 likes this.
  8. HoodenShuklak Augur

If the new servers are just variations of time aspects, with no new or unique traits then people will just pass altogether. They created a lot of hype by making it seem like a surprise, so to drop a bomb that things will just be slower or faster then they are in for another Coirnav-esque disappointment.
  9. Aiona Augur

Sounds good to me!
    Crayon123 likes this.
  10. Umul Augur

"We are aiming at two new progression servers with two approaches – one hardcore and one ultra-casual. Rules will be coming soon as we sort them out over the coming weeks with both new servers launching around the anniversary on March 16."

Question: What does approach mean? Are the servers going to have "Hardcore" and "Casual" rulesets, or be catered toward the "Hardcore" and "Casual" players.

Are they referring to one server having a more difficult set of rules vs easy, or are they referring to catering to different styles of players.
  11. Crayon123 Augur

Think you're reading into this a little too much... Daybreak have always been simple people. Expect 2 servers with different XP rates and unlock timers and little else. They don't have a lot of time or resources to dedicate to anything like this.
    andross77 and Jontrann like this.
  12. HoodenShuklak Augur

If this happens, I won't play all day in protest.
    Crayon123 likes this.
  13. Jontrann Augur

I totally agree, hell i fully expect them to launch Phinny 3.0 and Phinny 4.0 with the only difference being the XP rate, I'll actually be shocked if we get real rulesets this time.
    Phinny4Life and Crayon123 like this.
  14. Elite_raider Augur

You fail to take in to the equation that Ultra Casuals also want to experience raid content, removing MotM would help for a few expansions, but only doing that would kill the casual guilds for raiding going forward, since they simply don't field 72 or 54 people raids. The only way to fix this "easily" is to add merc's to raid content... The other option would be to either buff player power or reduce raid mob power to lower the number needed to complete raid content in all expansions going forward.

The simplest and probably the most entertaining of the two options, considering the audience, is adding merc's to the raid content mix.
  15. Aiona Augur

Blasphemy! Stone them!

Actually, that would be an interesting idea if the mercs weren't worthless for raiding.
  16. Elite_raider Augur

Considering that allot of the players in those raids will be kids and spouses that will not know what to do and will run around like headless chickens. All that is really needed is some beffy mercs to soak up some damage while the old schoolers in the guild saves the day in front of their families. A win/win for everyone and they will keep coming back for more as each expansion goes live on the TLP :)
  17. Kahna Augur

Nonsense. There are plenty of casual guilds out there that manage to field 54-72 man raids with most of the guild only having a 50% raid attendance rate and they kill the content just fine.

The game is not hard, and casual does not equal bad. Nor does it mean small family guilds, or that people want to tiptoe through the tulips RPing and doing tradeskills or any of the other non-sense people claim casual means. It just means they play fewer hours due to life constraints. Most casual people I know want the few hours they do play to be as painless and efficient as possible. They want raids to be fast and smooth, for everyone to know their job and do it well so the mob dies the loot gets handed out and they can go read their kids a bed time story. They want forming a group to be quick and they want to be able to find a place to hunt without fighting over it. They want to be able to complete their quests and leveling goals in a reasonable amount of time with effort, but not frustration.

Frankly, they want all the same thing the hardcore players want too. Making a "Hardcore" and "Casual" server seems ridiculous, because both groups want the same things.
  18. Elite_raider Augur

I have to disagree with you here, what current casual guilds are you referring to that are raiding current content on their server and fielding these numbers consistently on raids?

Besides, this is supposed to be an Ultra Casual server not Casual ;-)
  19. Lucky Charms Journeyman

I honestly think people keep mixing up the difference between Hardcore game play and a Hardcore player, a Hardcore player is someone who no life's the game, a Hardcore game is difficult, meaning it's harder than normal game play hardcore has never referred to takes longer, if Naggy and Vox are both the same bosses on hardcore and ultra casual I'll be disappointed, along with their being no extreme risk. Hardcore is all about a higher risk, not a bigger time sink. If it keeps going the way you want ill be doing hardcore on ultra casual.
  20. taliefer Augur

In regards to EQ, hardcore has always simply meant someone who devotes more time to the game, not difficulty
    Thalliius, andross77 and Crayon123 like this.