DO NOT start new TLPs in Classic!

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Phinius, Jan 25, 2019.

1. Phinius Elder

Thank you for your apology Aenu. I presented no logic other than I'm tired of playing Classic TLP rulesets, and that Classic sucks, banking on the 2.3 million active EverQuest subscribers to agree with me. I think I got roughly 60% on board though, so HOLLY MAKE IT HAPPEN!

a_librarian, we can dream.
  2. TheRedBandit Elder

I don't even dislike classic-velious, but once you hit max level it gets kinda boring. Having AA's to start will help keep people grouping longer which helps forge friendships and cements a community that is more likely to last through the later expansions.
    Phinius likes this.
  3. Ceffener Augur

I thought you guys had your TLPs because of your hatred of newer expansions. Live is still a thing.

2.3 million lmao, 23k might be more realistic.
    TLP Addict and HoodenShuklak like this.
  4. Jontrann Augur

I would really like to know where you got this number from.
  5. HoodenShuklak Augur

They just made up the 2 and the 3, but the "million" part was not just made up.

That was a typo. They meant "thousand".
  6. Phinius Elder

TRUTH! Literally no one wants to farm Nagafen for 3 months. We need AAs ASAP.
  7. Lowlife Lorekeeper

This is exactly what TLP needs. POP is the growing faze and Omens and DoDh has a healthy server pop. That would keep the TLP players engaged deeper into the game again. We could go beyond the nostalgia value of classic and velious and maintain those players into the balanced and playable version of the game. None of the TLPs have succeeded into these era's with a large population.
    Phinius likes this.
  8. Phinius Elder

Let's not get hung up on the inside info I have on EQ's sub numbers. Back to the topic at hand. Start new TLPs further ahead than classic so that we can have more FUN for a LONGER period of time. Servers die because we lose half the pop before Velious. Why? Not because they don't like the newer content, because they are BORED!

If this bad boy started in Velious, imagine the amount of content we would have to explore from DAY 1. Helps spread the over population out, gives us more to do, gets us to AAs faster, gets us deeper in to expansions with a POPPIN server!

By the way who was it earlier in this thread that said one of the current servers was crushing? What a joke. TLP servers were assassinated by DBG when they launched Vulak, then burned the bodies when they released Phinny. FIX IT HOLLY TAKE MY KRONOS!
  9. Phinius Elder

Lowlife, you can join my Trilogy progression guild. Let's be friends.
  10. Jontrann Augur

Keep begging, i'm sure it will do you a whole lot of good.
  11. Phinius Elder

I'm not begging you BOT. I'm presenting an idea to Holly that the entire community is asking for. I'm just the one chosen to deliver the message.
  12. Jontrann Augur

Lmao, You speak for everyone huh? You're a joke. I'm done with your thread, GL bro.
  13. Lowlife Lorekeeper

Later. I think he's just speaking for a large community that had played on a majority of TLP servers. Those users are the ones daybreak is hoping will return a 2nd, 3rd, or 4th time. I dont think they'll see the same success by just releasing another classic launch TLP. Even if they make it "hardcore" or "softcore", and especially if they do both at the same time. There's never been a dual server TLP launch in which both servers were successful. This idea we're discussing would probably interest a larger population of players. Sorry you got upset because someone has a different opinion than you. Enjoy what you want to play whether that's live or the 1 guild remaining on each TLP server.
    Fleaa and Phinius like this.
  14. Elskidor Augur

I'm game but it won't happen. Short unlocks would help a ton and that's what I'm hoping might be tried. 1 month classic then 2 months for the rest and LDoN, Yskesha, GoD released after PoP as a package. The long slog through classic is a little brutal. Hell, we have Agnaar for PoP locked so no need to have it stuck in era for nearly a year elsewhere.

Could do it to where the next expansion automatically unlocks when all targets are killed for that expansion, and if they aren't killed within 3 months the next expansion unlocks regardless. That would basically assure everyone gets their classic but just not for very long.

There's going to be a new server in a year anyway and most people will jump to it if they're not already gone. Put some speed in this sucker. Has their been even one TLP that succeeded all the way to reaching live? I was around for Fippy awhile and I know they got close but whatever chance they had died with the coming of more TLPs.

Challenge to the devs: Make a server fast and fun enough that it actually progresses to your endgame. Don't bore them with long waits in eras with little material and don't slow xp to a tedious hault.
    Phinius likes this.
  15. Aiona Augur

In that line of though, I think Ykesha/LDoN needs a month or two on their own, separate from GoD, there's some good mission fun to be had there for some folks.

However, I also think this is just going to create a bunch of watered down servers in the end, that will need to be consolidated.

I think it would be better to have each "era" have it's own server, and let them include all of the expansion before it. Such as the first era being Classic to Luclin, the second era being perhaps LDoN, Ykesha, GoD. The Serpents Spine could start a new era, and then Seeds of Destruction could be another new era with the release of mercs.

These are just examples, mind you, I'm not sure where/how to best separate each expansion/era but hopefully you get the point.

This gives players the freedom to stay or move on as they and their friends or guilds choose to do so (not sure how guild transfers would work out but I imagine the guild leader could bring the guild and willing guild members with them ...unfortunately this is one of the most difficult issues to deal with in this scenario).

Players could progress by trickling down to the next expansion, or expansion of their choice (you can transfer forward in time but not back to previous expansions).

Most of the 'transfers' should be automated I would think.

I know this would work for a few other games when it comes to 'progression' servers but it might be a little harder to pull off in EQ. But still, I think it would be the best way to please the majority of players for the long term while retaining a healthy end game ("live" servers) population with players trickling in and some going back to relive certain eras.

This will probably never happen, but it's a thought. It would be nice to see some game pull it off. :)
    Phinius likes this.
  16. Elite_raider Augur

If they are going to make a Super Casual server for all of us with families and so on that want to bring them in to experience the game, it has to start in classic. Where the hardcore server starts, I do not care :)
    Barton likes this.
  17. HoodenShuklak Augur

EQ and family.... pick one or the other.
    Phinius likes this.
  18. Aiona Augur

u can have both? o_O

Y r u trying 2 separate families when u just got done talking about educating countries around the world? :D
  19. TimeBreak Elder

Start in Trilogy, you have 3 months to lvl to 60, raid, complete epics, etc. Then Luclin opens and everything you own gets replaced and you start to get AA's. How is this not a good idea?

After doing classic on the last 4 TLPS and getting burnt out around Velious or before each time, on Agnarr I played for 1 month at launch, took time off, rejoined 2 weeks into Velious and am still playing currently. I'd rather stick nails through my eye lids than play another 6 months of classic and Kunark.
    Phinius likes this.
  20. Xeris Augur

I mean, you assume that everyone has just played every TLP and has done the class-velious grind 345094309 times. Every TLP brings completely new players, or returning players to the game who either have never played or hadn't played since the early 2000's. I was one of those people. I personally would play classic-velious again.
    SiegeT and Jontrann like this.