Hi-Res 4k UI Impossible

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by Namehas, Jan 23, 2019.

1. Namehas New Member

I've tried everything to play in 4k aside from installing a custom UI and there's nothing that will make the in-game windows scale to the resolution setting. I searched online and the only fix seems to be a custom UI which I have done in the past years ago but they break sometimes after updates and really I'd just rather use the default UI. I returned after several years away with a new box and a 65" 4k screen and my setup is not at a desk and probably will never be again. So this is a huge disappointment for me as the UI is next to unusable at Hi-Res settings and really is a shame too because many aspects of the game are so nice. I feel like my money was wasted on an old dated game that gets upgraded from someones garage and I know that sounds harsh but that's the way it feels. Honestly, keeping up with the changes in graphics should be top-priority for any game developer.
  2. Sam Hyde "You're" on ignore

I gave up and figured out how to edit a few things myself. It's really not that hard, you should try it. Everything can be tested while in-game, just reload your UI after saving the text file.
    Difficulty: 1.5 / 10

Personal changes:
    Increased hotbar font size
    Doubled casting bar /spell gems size
    Increased player window size, as well as HP / Mana bars height
    Increased spell casting timer vertical size, tripled length (can see the full spell name now)
    Increased AA window vertical size (VERY helpful)
    Increased target hp bar size

Everything else is fine as is. Chat and Containers are the best thing about 4k. I can have 4 chat windows open along the bottom, all in a row. Bags are just big enough to see all the contents easily, and you can open every single bank bag and inventory bag, and not even cover 50% of the screen.

Everyone who plays often should consider taking the plunge, or at the very least, going up to 1440p. When I see screenshots of currently active players, and their windows are 75% of the screen, with a tiny peephole to view the world, I just want to puke. It's absurd. Get your act together! No excuses about being just as good at 1080p and under, that is like claiming you can drive a car with most of the front window blocked, just as good as without. It's not possible. You are crippling yourself!
    Corwyhn Lionheart and Namehas like this.
  3. Smokezz The Bane Crew

Not everyone that plays at 1080p has a microscopic window of the world...
    Namehas likes this.
  4. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

I have been using UI "pieces" designed for 4k for several years now and I have never had to update them. It's not a full UI just changes to some elements that increase the size of text.spell gems etc. Check out EQInterface and the 4k elements made by Janakin. Sounds like you are playing from a couch on your tv so not sure if that will help. Works fine for me but I only use 29 inch and a couple of 24 inch monitors at a desk.

And I don't mean to offend but expecting a 20 year old game to be optimized for a 4k 65 inch display may be less then reasonable. But that is just my opinion.
    Namehas likes this.
  5. Namehas New Member

Thanks for your reply Sam Hyde, wish I would have tried this before I reached the end of my rope trying Windows and game settings. I'll get up nerve later and try some of the tricks you mention here. At least I have a direction to turn that will have positive results.
  6. Namehas New Member

I wouldn't dream of being offended Corwyhn Lionheart and thank you for your reply too. The last time I used custom UI's they were prone to "break" after game updates so required upkeep along the way. So I just got used to the default UI and for me it's really functional and easy. Easy, now that's word I really like. So I guess custom UI's don't break anymore which is good to know because that was my main reason for abandoning them in the first place. You guys have some really good ideas I plan to try once I get my nerve back. I played games for years sitting at a desk and a big screen with high resolution that I could play from my couch just seemed like the next best step to take. I do realize the game is dated but they are still adding to it and if there's anything that would bring a feel of newness to the game it would be an updated UI I think. Thanks again for the great ideas!
  7. Pirlo Augur

There was a thread like this earlier in the year and someone suggested changing a......DSi?! Setting in the Windows display setting and it worked like a miracle.
    I'll try to cite the reference for you if I get a chance tomorrow
    Namehas likes this.
  8. Namehas New Member

Hi Pirlo and thanks for your consideration and I have tried a fix that directed me to:
    right click the application file and select properties,
    choose the compatibility tab
    click the change high DPI settings
    uncheck high DPI scaling override box
    It didn't work for me like others reported however I found an interesting setting to change the windows UI to be more friendly at Hi-Res from a distance... On that same window check the box under Program DPI and click Open Advanced scaling settings. Once there you can choose a value between 100-500 (start low like 150 or 200) then sign out and back in and everything on the desktop will become bigger. For my rig around 300 is nice. If you found a different setting than explained above I sure would like to try it out. Thanks!
  9. Hadesborne Augur

Get yourself a 40" 4k TV with a refresh rate of 120hz-240hz. The extra large size of the TV will allow you to see the 4k UI's better. I personally play on a 45".
    Namehas likes this.
  10. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

He has a 65 inch tv atm.
    Namehas likes this.
  11. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

I think if you were using a complete UI overhaul you might have breaking issues. Just using the elements for 4k are really just cosmetic... things like the text in the typing portion of windows being made large. For the text box you can use /chatfontsize 8 to make the texts you receive larger. Defintely try downloading Janakins UI mods for 4k just not sure they will be large enough for playing from a couch. It will definitely be much better though.
    Namehas likes this.
  12. jeskola pheerie

EQ needs to accomodate my modern display too!

[IMG]
    Namehas, Corwyhn Lionheart and Riou like this.
  13. Riou EQResource

go 16k instead :p (took screenshot before the graphics fully rendered so it looks weird, QQ, also its a 13mb jpg, lol, 506mb raw bmp)

oh and it played like 1 frame per 2 seconds on like 7 year old pc
    Namehas and jeskola like this.
  14. Herodotus Augur

Pair it with this sound system.

[IMG]
  15. Apsidey New Member

Thanks for this. I briefly considered rejoining Everquest, but I'll pass seeing as to how elitist the game has become.
    TLDR: Buy a CRT MONITOR at 19" you freaking newb so you can play legit like the rest of us!!! :/
    Namehas likes this.
  16. Nicklaus New Member

I use a 4k monitor just fine you need to right click eqgame shortcut and then under compatability
    click change dpi settings then check top box now it will be of larger size that you can actually see the words :)
    Namehas likes this.
  17. Natal Augur

The problem with the UI is that text in most places is about 2mm in size if you run 4K as the native resolution. Sure, you can change font size in the chat boxes, but that does not help anywhere else.

There are also no instructions for changing these things, so that fact that people can maybe do it by making their own UI is not of much help if you yourself don't know how to do it. It should not be necessary for you to fiddle with rewriting files when the program should include this stuff in the UI options. 4K panels have been around for a while, there is no legitimate excuse not to.

Personally, the only effective way of playing the game on a 4K monitor is to run the game at some lower resolution (I use 1440p - looks like blurry garbage, but at least you can read the text). Which is a real shame because the game looks pretty good at native 4K, other than the minute text.

Until the devs take the time to make a proper scaleable UI the issue is going to remain. But I don't think they care.
    Namehas likes this.
  18. Nicklaus New Member

i run at 4k however i change dpi settings and i scale my monitor in windows to 200 % it works well
  19. Zanarnar Augur

how can you play on something so.. TINY!

Go big or go home!

Probably for the best, since you seem to totally lack any sense of humor.
    jeskola and Nennius like this.
  20. Tucoh Augur