2 new TLPs announced for 20th Anniversary

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Elbereth, Jan 23, 2019.

1. Quill Augur

Even more of a major turn off is having to play on multiple computers. Find a better way of dealing with box armies, i.e. the ban button. If you can't do that, simply find a way to institute True Pay. People pay for their own subs with actual money to use the server.

But in general, the people willing to go to the trouble of setting up multiple computers, aren't typically playing casual, even if they try to convince themselves they are.
    Sabi likes this.
  2. omgomg Lorekeeper

casual to me, good xp rate and no raid keys
  3. Polekn Augur

TrueBox is there to stay. Allowing MacaroniQuest on a server with highly contested spawns will result in high support costs for DBG, they will never do it again.
    AoCs will likely be on both servers as well. My guess is casual server will have 6 months unlocks, no kills needed. Hardcore will probably have Combine type unlocks (defeating expansion starts a short timer).
    I can't even guess about experience rates, there is no discernible logic in how they applied experience modifiers on previous servers.
  4. Crayon123 Augur

Best case scenario right there, make it happen!
  5. Quill Augur

MacaroniQuest, in case you haven't noticed, is prevalent on the TrueBox TLP's with AFK scripters doing their stuff with immunity. The TrueBox only stops regular people from boxing normally, as they actually follow the rules.

Almost certainly.

Yikes.. Rest in Peace Casual Server! 6 months in Kunark would kill any modern TLP server.

Fair.

Slow XP = hardcore. Fast XP = casual. Its always been that way. If you don't play much, getting more done in the same amount of time is ideal. Hardcore players simply play until its done, whatever the rate.
    Sabi and jeskola like this.
  6. jeskola pheerie

I know this will likely never happen, but just from a spectator perspective, a fun Hardcore server to watch would be one where the next expansion unlocks the instant the prior expansion is beat. It would be interesting to see how long it takes to get to live, or how much time is spent gearing and leveling in certain expansions when content becomes unbeatable with lower levels/AA and undergeared.

That would be truly "Hardcore" in my opinion.
    Rajaah, MBear and Funk like this.
  7. FIsh Lips Augur

Slow unlocks does not a casual server make. Unlocks at 12 weeks are fine. Fast XP, no MoTM, AoCs, much (12x) more loot drops/kill, no True Box, FV ruleset perhaps, rare spawns are much faster, all rares spawn in picks or instances, etc.. That's a casual server. I would totally play there.

Hardcore means beefing mobs up more, it means slowing xp down to eye stabbing levels, it means corpse runs, it means no AoCs (and thereby probably needing longer xpac unlocks, maybe), it means craptastic drops that require weeks and weeks of farming the same thing over again to get one item, it means rare spawns appear nearly never, and never in picks or instances, etc. It means epic mobs require notarized divorce papers, proof of job loss, doctors notes EQ related injuries (ruptured bladders, constipation, massive weight gain, bed sores, drug overdose, etc.) and so on. This server sounds like hell, but I know a few people who want it.
    Sabi likes this.
  8. Quill Augur

I'd be fine with that.

The big thing I want is not taking a year to get through Classic. They might have to do that with the 'Casual' Server, but the HC one is fair game to just speed things up.

Complete agreement. But the (12x) on loot can be accomplished by simply having Daily Raid Instances. No lockout > 18 hours.
  9. FIsh Lips Augur

I do not think reducing instance lockouts makes a more casual server. Quite the opposite, it's going to make the casual server more hardcore. Agnarr/Coirnav are working for us normals because a weekly instance is just fine. We can spend 10 hours a week raiding, knock out all the bosses there are to knock out, and go do other things. Unfortunately the loot in those instances sucks, particularly when you're bringing 60+ people, so people get tired of showing up to raid to get DKP but no items. Looking at the DKP chains of two guilds I know, I see people with the equivalent of 6+ weeks of stockpiled DKP that can't spend it, because items are not dropping or someone else with more DKP is winning.

But we don't have the time or interest in OW targets or split raids (if that's even possible, which is often not the case with an undergeared group of casuals). We just need more reward for the time invested or we eventually burn out and do something else. I see a casual server eliminating this problem entirely: it rains loot, you don't need to kill the boss 100 times, you need to do him a few times per character. I see a casual server being an alt carnival too.
  10. Kaponen Lorekeeper

If there’s an AoS resurgence it won’t be named AoS lol...
    Oh and WRU typical Faceless recruitment post for new tlp?
    Zaide confirmed casual?
  11. Polekn Augur

I did not notice it of Phinny at all. It could be true on Agnarr and/or Coirnav, but definitely not on Phinny.

Not really. If casual server has 6 times longer to spend in an expansion they do not need faster exp. They will have enough time to casually level to max and do everything else they want until next expansion opens.
  12. Kaponen Lorekeeper

Also ZZZAAAAAAMMMMMMMAAAAAAA
  13. Saban New Member

I feel like casual will just be Phinny 3.0, truebox, AOC, etc, etc, but with double xp rate, double named spawns and double faction gains. So basically a server with the holidays flags always turned on. Ideally with keys removed so zones are only level blocked, but I am not sure they can do that easily, and we all know DGB can't devote many man hours.

Hardcore server is more puzzling to me, that's pretty hard to make. I mean, the only true hardcore move is to remove AOCs but that won't work, that server would be doomed. Most "hardcore" players would avoid that server. Most other "hardcore" things pointed out are mostly nuisances and I can't see people being interested in that, being hardocre in EQ nowdays just means having enough free time to devote to consistently raid and/or farm.

Also It's pretty weird launching 2 servers at the same time, maybe they have numbers to back that 2 new servers can be populated enough. My guess could be that the casual server will be the new true TLP and the hardcore one will be a gimmick one, like for example a "race server" with no AOCs and aggresive unlocking. So a new, more casual server, for everyone, and a "disposable" server so guilds from every server can make characters there just for the competition and go back to the batphone days (ugh) without leaving their original servers.
  14. jeskola pheerie

They are still recruiting for Pantheon. By the time it is launched, half their initial round of applicants will be dead of old age.
  15. Faldy New Member

how fast can one get to 110 from level 1 tlp exp rates ?

I know 1 to 50 3 to 4 days

hardcore might just be no lockouts beat boss opens right away ?

either way This is my last server so i am excited for it .
  16. Trevalon Augur

Casual = Phinny clone with Agnar or Live EXP rates

I 100% believe that would end up the most popular TLP server to date.
    Crayon123 and Phinny4Life like this.
  17. Morthakia Augur

To me, the difference between Hardcore and Casual is a time investment (as stated above), and perhaps a different set of goals (maximize character power vs. accomplish personal objectives).

Focusing on the casual server, there are two ways to respond to the limited time investment:
    1) Increase exp rates, spawn rates, and similar aspects to increase the reward per hour spent.
    2) Extend the duration of expansion unlocks to give folks more time to accomplish objectives.

I personally feel that option #1 is superior to option #2, but everyone will have their own opinion.
    snailish likes this.
  18. Machentoo Augur

More like 10-12 hours, faster with a plvl.
  19. Risiko Augur

EverQuest is a 20 year old game utilizing ancient technologies.

The hacks will be there no matter what preventative measures DBG takes. What they need is active GMs that 1) know the game, 2) stay aware of the server communities and in-game current events, and 3) actively look for and police suspicious activity on the servers immediately when it is detected.

Human intervention is the only way to make EQ less cheater-friendly.
    Chatoyan likes this.
  20. Gwaine Journeyman

If they want Ultra Casual there are a few elements that must be there.

Faster Exp
    Better Spawn Rates
    FV trading so that people can keep up on gear is the are away for a while.
    AOC for raiding so people can raid on their own schedules.
    Unlocks every 3 months with Vote. The faster Exp and FV trading of old raid gear will help anyone catch up.