Refute for Honor in TBL

Discussion in 'Tanks' started by took2summit11, Jan 3, 2019.

1. p2aa Augur

Read again post and stop making assumptions of things that don't exist, except in your imagination.
  2. Fintank Augur

I think you're missing the point of what Brohg is saying. Your example is an apples to oranges comparison. Shield Sunder is a spammed ability because there is no trade off, we aren't choosing it over something else. Whereas the SPELL has an inherent tradeoff value based off of whatever situation they might be in. Spurn is the Knight spam mitigation if you wanted to compare it to Shield Sunder. The closest thing we have to a tradeoff situation would be Biting Tongue and Mighty Strike or Offensive and Culminating Stand. Except only one of those will affect our main role in a potentially negative way.
  3. p2aa Augur

Read again this post
    No one spoke of any opportunity cost to cast refute instead of another spell. He seems to complain to have to recast a spell with short timer. My answer was to this. I said every tank class has some mitigation tool to spam, and I took shield break as an example because it has also a very short recast timer. I never compared the effects of the 2.
  4. Silverstone Journeyman

Refute would never be on my macro. If you play a paladin this should be obvious. The use of refute blocks us from casting other spells during the spell bar black out. It is opportunistic, when the combat allows you to cast it.

I just propose a higher rune like the original poster suggested. I agree with him. Really is something that lasts 2-3 melee rounds to powerful? 30k would even be a good start to see how it effects the class.
  5. Wulfhere Augur

That's a bit of an oxymoron. The use of any spell blocks "other spells". Spell bar real estate is valuable that we can agree upon. What spells you choose to memorize define your role of the moment.

For paladins, most of your combat spells that you might spam have recast timers of 6, 12, 18, 24 seconds. If you have a multi-bind (not a macro!) to spam those spells then you're going to need 4 to 6 spells to rotate through without every one of them on cool down. Your mash key should activate your multi-bind spells and also a macro of abilities (/stand, Spurn, DP, FoD, etc) that cast during spell bar cool down.

Meanwhile, Refute casting times have been redesigned to be spammed while tanking multiple mobs. So that's clearly the designers intention going forward, whether we like the choice or not. There are plenty of paladin spells I never memorize and Refute line used to be one of them. Things change and adapting to the changes is part of the game play. Do we all want our chosen class' abilities to be on par or even powerful? Sure.
  6. Silverstone Journeyman

I have heard a lot of picking posts apart and nothing to help the class out, so I am done posting on this thread.