EQ does not open -black screen

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by Panikker, Jan 4, 2019.

1. Panikker Elder

Installed it. Worked the first time.
    Now when I click the play button all I get is a black screen then launcher crashes.
    Anyone having same problems?
  2. CrazyLarth Augur

3. Metanis Bad Company

4. xxGriff Augur

i am not having this issue, and best recollection is I have never had, but you should check/Validate your game files from launchpad to begin. are you running launchpad and eqgame.exe as admin? (elevated)

may wish to reinstall the last DX9c redistrobution file June 2010 from Microsoft to make sure youre not missing any libraries, and of course drivers for your system can be checked/changed.

Oh, if you dont know how to validate game files: https://help.daybreakgames.com/hc/en-us/articles/218088677-How-do-I-validate-game-files-
  5. Heroics New Member

Having same issue, Tried validating game files through steam and launcher, running as admin, uninstalling and reinstalling the game. Checking different resolution settings, Specified specific ports everquest uses in the router. And a lot of other things i cant remember right now. Nothing has worked still just get black screen as soon as you hit play button. To note same as OP it ran fine the first time i played until i logged for the night . Next time i tried to log in i got this issue. I have read every post on this issue on these forums and others and tried everything i could find to no resolve. Fairly new gaming machine from digital storm running win 10 with the oldest part being a GTX 1050 card.
  6. Enigman New Member

I started having this issue after the December patch, and until the patch this week, it was about a one in three thing. I would start the patcher, click Play, would get through to server select more often than not, but routinely would get a black screen. If I opened Task Manager and shut down the non responding EQ program, the patcher would usually still be up and I could click Play again and typically get through on the second try. Occasionally I would get another black screen, back to Task Manager, shut down the non responding eqgame.exe and then start the patcher again.

After the patch on Wednesday, I spent the remainder of Wednesday and Thursday getting the black screen four out of five times, but with enough attempts could log on. Today was much better, as I logged in to play EQ four times through the evening and only once got the black screen.

My only link to the problem was the December patch, as I was on vacation during the week of the patch, then started having the black screen when I played EQ upon returning home. I did not do any driver updates during the week of the patch or the following week and note that the only windows 7 update during December was an update to the Microsoft .NET Framework the week prior to the patch, so I was playing EQ after that update went in without any black screens.

I have since updated my video drivers in hopes that might help, and saw no difference in the EQ black screen frequency and have seen two windows updates since the end of December, one on January 4 and one on January 9, neither of which seems to have changed the frequency of the black screens.
  7. KC13 Augur

I am getting a similar error. Very occasionally I get it on startup, but on shutdown I get it often. Sometimes the screen freezes on a black screen. Sometimes it remains on the black screen for a few min then goes to a login screen that cannot be cancelled out of. I have to load task manager and manually stop EQ. Often after shutdown, I get an error message that there was a problem with the video driver but after EQ stops, I get another message that the video driver has recovered. I have never seen this type of error before the December patch and it got worse after the recent patch.
  8. Zanarnar Augur

Might not help but its a good idea anyways, have those of you with the issue tried updating your video card drivers? If not I would suggest grabbing the latest ones from either ATI or NVIDIA (don't goto your computer makers website to download them, they will always be out of date compared to getting them from ati/nvidia).

One other idea, if you on win10 try setting compatibility mode for eqgame.exe to Windows 7 (changing it for the launchpad won't do anything to fix this). eqgame.exe will be in your everquest folder.
  9. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

Post your EQlogs.

Display issues are *generally* associated with graphics. So a black screen would indicate to me that the game engine is either unable to initialize the graphics card or the graphics card is unable to display the data provided by the game engine.

Another item you can try is to set the game resolution very low, like 1024x768, using the executable in the game folder. I forget the name of it, I am not at my gaming rig at the moment. I have seen where a display resolution mis-match can cause black screens in other old games.

Post your EQlogs.
  10. Enigman New Member

Which logs? I note six hundred ninety six files called log in my EQ directory (not including my actual game log files), although only fifteen of them are from the last two months.
  11. xxGriff Augur

OptionsEditor.exe will allow you to set lower res and turn on/off various models, skins etc. using compatibility is helpful to some but, elevating to Run as Administrator is a must. I hope this was resolved, but either way, pls post your findings, fix etc so others can benefit and have this available.