Any plans to revamp older zones?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Nickalispicalis, Jan 16, 2019.

1. Nickalispicalis Journeyman

Graphics wise. I know you can go to 1 to 80 in Crescent Reach to Ice Peak, but some of the old zones are a real eye sore.
    Alekzandre likes this.
  2. enclee Augur

I hope not, the Freeport/Commonlands/Ro revamps are terrible.
    Zanarnar, kizant, Nniki and 1 other person like this.
  3. Elskidor Augur

True. I prefer them to undo the revamp in Freeport region. I don't hate the current layout but liked the old better. It's an unnecessary waste of resources that I bet most would be upset about.
  4. Act of Valor The Newest Member

Absolutely not. Look at the abomination that Freeport became. Offer remakes like Feerrott and Feerrott, The Dream, don't replace my beloved old homes.
    Nniki likes this.
  5. Alekzandre Augur

I like the new Freeport/Commonlands/Ro, as do many people I play with.
  6. Tatanka Joe Schmo

Were any of you around for the old ones?
  7. CrazyLarth Augur

8. Tatanka Joe Schmo

I meant Alekzandre and his friends who prefer the new Freeport area. The revamp was almost 13 years ago, so many current players may not have ever played with the original zones.
  9. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

I think zone revamps primarily come to us with new expansions re-imagining previous expansions/zones. I don't think there are resources out there to redo graphics in old zones that are hardly visited anymore.
  10. Febb Augur

I don't see any issues with any of the revamped zones and I've been playing since Kunark. It doesn't bother me in the least that they change up old zones. However a large majority of the zones that have been revamped were tied to an expansion. So I doubt they will go back and revamp old zones that aren't tied to an expansion.
    Alekzandre and snailish like this.
  11. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

Can't see this happening, they changed some of the NPC models in the old zones years back and recentlty they changed them back again to the aweful looking orignal ones.
  12. snailish Augur

We need to get over Freeport. Fairy-sized Nektulos was far, far worse.

Revamps absolutely should happen. I also think only 1 version of a zone should ever be on live servers. I will aim for being brief:

-too much under 85 content that is mostly empty. Need for different 85-105 catch up, laid back content. Revamps are a natural for this. Bonus side effect is it builds in more nostalgia for progression servers, the cash cow to milk to fund developing new 110+ content.

Example of how to revamp:

Take Lower Fay, add in some more gaps in the south to lead to your new zones (Mistmoore vinyards, Mayong Port, etc.). Revamp Castle Mistmoore (to 65 when it was briefly done back in the day on the progression timeline) then 95-105 for live. LFay becomes a level 85-95 zone full of the Mistmoore denizens mobilizing for war in Gfay and Butcherblock with lots of easy faction (huge part of the complaint about previous Castle Mistmoore revamp). The new zones take you 105-115 or so.

Meanwhile, GFay gets piles of new low level NPC (i.e., stealthed Mistmoore spies that only aggro when attacked). Needed quest items from LFay and Castle Mistmoore get moved to GFay. Perma hardcore Crushbone while at it...

Moves the story along. Eventually consolidates under level 85 into much fewer zones, but efficiency in questing (and doing things differently) gives this some replay.

Next expac... Kaladim falls and becomes a raid zone. Felwithe elite align with Discord. Refugees in Kelethin and tents and barricades at the bottom of the trees.
    Tarvas likes this.
  13. Alekzandre Augur

19 years
  14. Tarvas Redwall of Coirnav, now Drinal

So I asked the question: "How long would it take to revamp a random zone with current era mob stats, spells, etc. and then throwing in a couple of random mercenary type tasks in it?

In my mind the only simple thing would be saving the zone files under a different name though that might even a bad assumption"
    I imagine to make that happen all else but housing keeping tasks stop. I wouldn't mind an expansion full of them though.
    snailish likes this.
  15. Tatanka Joe Schmo

Fair enough. I would say, though, that you and your friends are in the minority. Most old timers prefer the old zones.
  16. kizant Augur

They're not 'old' zones. They're the correct zones.
    Endaar likes this.
  17. Ceffener Augur

Meh Freeport always looked like crap.
  18. Nolrog Augur

No. There's no value there at all.
    Corwyhn Lionheart likes this.
  19. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

Zone revamps are massive undertakings. The art and textures are actually the "easy" part. The quests, NPCs, pathing, game engine tweaks....making sure it all works and is 100% compatible with the current world....THAT's hard.
  20. Quill Augur

I played the original zones and typically played human. I far prefer new Freeport once I figured out how to get around lol. The merging of Oasis and Sro(or was it nro?) never bothered me. Same thing with East and West Commonlands getting merged. Old freeport is great for nostalgia's sake, but new freeport was far more usable. Honestly... if you went to Old Freeport you'd probably be... wth is this ****? Its more nostalgia that people harken back to when it comes to FP, because its where a lot of people started.

Isn't there an instance or something where Old FP still exists?
    snailish likes this.