Getting new PC

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by Middina, Jan 8, 2019.

1. Middina New Member

I'm getting a new High end PC. What I'd like to know is if any of the new hardware is incapatible with EQ. Some suggestions as to the best Video cards etc would also help.
    Thank you very much
  2. Zanarnar Augur

As long as your running Windows (or are good at WINE), have some free ram for EQ, and a 3D video card, it will work. If your buying a "high end" pc, it will run EQ no problem.

Video cards is a bit of a budget question, personally I still have a GeForce 1060 w/ 6GB of ram and really don't feel like its limiting me in any way... but then again I mostly play MMO's and Skyrim so I'm not really stressing it either.

If you want to spend under 300 and Ray Tracing isn't important to you, look for a GTX1070ti
    If you want to spend under 400, look for a RTX2060
    IF you want to spend more.. well RTX2080 or RTX2080ti!
    Roxxlyy likes this.
  3. breakbeatz New Member

Are you building it yourself? I just put my together last week and everything runs fine on it.
  4. complexication Kassina

I mean, considering their "optimal" build utilizes old and rather obsolete hardware, anything beyond that should work just as well.
  5. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

Apple Watch is powerful enough to run EQ, if that gives you any idea about performance requirements.

Windows 7, 8, or 10 are compatible with EQ. Linux 'Wine' Dist. can be made to work with EQ - it's pretty well-documented how to do this.

Any modern desktop or laptop CPU/GPU will run EQ without issue. Even the super cheap ones. Get a SSD to help with load times. That's it.
    Metanis likes this.
  6. Played On PS2 New Member

I'm running the game on a 2016 Samsung 700 Series gaming computer with a NVIDIA GEFORCE with Cuda graphics card. The graphics aren't pretty but they are playable. I'm trying out a few MMOs before I buy a new laptop in February. Tough to find a good one that isn't PvP focused.
  7. Zanarnar Augur

slightly off the posts topic; but can you be more specific about the model or, more importantly, the video card? Its likely if you haven't updated the drivers from NVIDIA itself that your using very old, possibly broken drivers. I can't think of a discreet NVIDIA GeForce card (that new) that shouldn't be able to run EQ at 1080P30. Its not a very demanding game in that regard.
  8. BadPallyGuildLeader Augur

When I try to autofollow with more than 2 clients on computer I get unpredictable results. Often times one or more chars end up lagged, etc, and it just doesn't work. And that's with a 980GTX w/ 4 gig vram and I7 cpu with 16 gig ram. I wonder if the "heavy hitter" Geoforce cards can deal with that issue?
  9. Zanarnar Augur

Have you adjusted your background FPS down? For example I have mine set to 60FPS foreground, 1FPS background. I don't box but I've read here and there that it helps a lot to do that.

10. BadPallyGuildLeader Augur

It is definitely worth a try.
  11. Ceffener Augur

980 GTX is a $500 GPU, not overly a low hitter in the Nvidia lineup. EverQuest is a 20 year old engine that mostly runs on a single core of a CPU. Last I checked there is only a 32bit client so the game can’t use more than 4GB of ram. 99.9% of the times the problem will be a setup or a problem with the game itself our modern computers shred the requirements of EQ.

Also the games auto follow really sucks. Lol
  12. BadPallyGuildLeader Augur

The whole performance thing for alt tab AF clients is now coming under more scrutiny because in your average TBL trial you most likely do not want to spend attention resources on managing AF chars flinging about about the zone :D
    Pirlo likes this.