Trial of Ashes of Rusted Cliff's Glory

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Vinjin, Dec 20, 2018.

1. Gundolin Augur

Yes, had our first successful run at it Saturday using SK, Necro, Necro, Rogue, Ranger, Cleric. We ate the AoEs. Ranger really helped in timing and pulling adds.

(SK purpled once during a stun so it was definitely tight).
  2. Zekzerk New Member

How are you hiding the healers from the AEs? I can't figure this one out. Thanks!
  3. Gundolin Augur

I have been eating the AE's - buffed ~245K hp. The stun is a pain but its doable, I am almost always running a HoT in this to help. If the stuns are too long or the AEs too high you can try tanking on the "false fire" lava river and have the healers stand on the opposite side and only move if they are the only one targeted, otherwise everyone just hold still.

If this doesn't work you can always have everyone move back and forth from the "false fire" lava river and the opposite side of the starting room, but I have found getting people to move back and forth in unison more trouble than its worth.
  4. yepmetoo Abazzagorath

Need 2 real dps to have a shot at beating it.

3 real dps is more optimal.

Low dps this one is just not happening due to infinitely spawning adds. But as wuddane said earlier, you can rest in between the named if you chill, just need to move from the fireball and take care of any golems that pop/are up. So can wait for burns, then just burn the last boss down. So that may be the key to lower dps groups.

This was the only "hard" mission I've seen as a raider this expansion, even with terrible groups (but I know as a raid tank I'm at an advantage). Could use a retune IMO.
  5. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

To clarify, hiding healers/casters only has to do with the stun portion of the AE.

Park the named in the wall to the left of the cubby at the bottom of the ramp. Tuck your casters in the cubby. Time the stun (cast interval is 30s). When the first stun hits, start your 30s repeating timer. At 25s, casters hide. At 30 + 1s, casters come back out.
  6. Belkar_OotS Augur

I have been working on this task with my box group and basically as soon as someone dies it is game over with how I have my characters set up.

I am currently dodging the decal flame AE.

At what percent health does the boss go inactive each wave?

Do we know what the spawn rate is for the adds (and health)? I'd like to figure out what threshold I need to meet to get there.

So far usually what kills me are when the adds start showing up (usually as a pair) while I am still killing the boss. I suspect I will have to make this about boss burning, then stalling as slow and steady means I am eating double aes all the time.
    Brohg likes this.
  7. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

Boss - 65%, 40%, 0%.

Your strategy in the final paragraph is sound.
    Brohg and Tucoh like this.
  8. Belkar_OotS Augur

To be doubly clear we still kill it 4x, so boss 1 to 65, boss 2 to 40, boss 3 down to 0% and 4 to 0% also. So the last two respawns are full hit point burns. Is that correct?
  9. Tucoh Augur

No. You kill it 3x. Boss1 to 65, boss2 to 40, boss3 to 0% and you win.
  10. Whulfgar Augur

Two healers are preferred for this particular mission if your grp is low dps . This way you dont have to move the grp what so ever.. and concentrate on just over healing the ae.

I've been the 2nd healer multiple times on an alt 110 shammy.. with less then 190k hps totally raid buffed. Qith cleric aura and growth.. and our set up smoked it..

1. Two healers negates ae mechanic.
    2. Good dps from the dps classes in grp.
    3. Stay in the nook directly to the front slightly left from ramp.
    4. Everyone behind the tank. This way all adds jump the tank.

This set up has gotten my box set ups threw.
  11. Nniki Augur

I think the adds might be on a 90s spawn timer and cap at 10 up at once. (I'd need to double-check both to be sure)
  12. NameAlreadyInUse #CactusGate

They do not cap at 10, at least not during the 3rd boss. I wiped on third boss and had 17 ashen adds on track.
    Brohg, Tucoh and Nniki like this.
  13. Belkar_OotS Augur

I think this is still a bit over tuned for a typical group. I did manage to finally box the event.

A few things that will help people like me who need to control the situation.

Time the boss spawns and engage so that you engage right as you get the fireball emote. The fire ball lands 15 seconds after the emote and recurs every 30 seconds. The boss does his stun and AE 30 seconds after he spawns and every 30 seconds thereafter.

The green mobs have nothing to do with the yellow con golems. The green con dervs spawn when the boss goes inactive. If you kill the 05 of the name as mentioned above it will respawn the boss. The yellow con golems are timed adds (I have not figured out a spawn location order). I have verified that at least 14 adds will show on tracking in the event of a fail at the earlier phases of the event.

I cleared them out while waiting for burns to come back up at the % boss health as mentioned above (65, 40 and till death).
    Tucoh likes this.
  14. NameAlreadyInUse #CactusGate

I was having trouble boxing this with my standard SK/Druid/Beast/Wizzy 4-box. When my good buddy offered to replace my mercs with his Cleric and Chanter, it was literal easy-mode.

We tucked into the cubby and ate every single AE.
    The druid was doing DPS, not heals (but druids do heal with their DPS).
    The chanter focused on runes.

We did short burns on the first boss.
    We took our time between boss spawns, to recover and kill the adds (monitoring with Track on the druid).
    By the 3rd boss spawn, we didn't even wait for burns. We had already figured out that we weren't going to die, so why wait?

I believe the key to making this "easy mode" is runes, and I think a bard would work just as well as the chanter.

Some of the toons were raid geared, but some are just group geared. No deaths, even though we ate every single AE. The only toon that moved was the SK (to grab the 05 dervish, the boss, and the ashen adds, and to bring them all back to the cubby).

EDIT: Don't forget to use your Geomantra clicky (spell rune!) and create a GINA trigger to remind you to use it when it drops. Every toon should have one, and every toon should be using it on cooldown (if it has been used up)! And not just on this mission. Always.
    Zhaunil_AB likes this.
  15. took2summit11 Augur

Did staying the cubby make it so you did not have to fight any adds while fighting the red con?
  16. NameAlreadyInUse #CactusGate

Nope - but purposefully killing the adds before spawning the boss again did limit the number of adds that might show up during the boss fight. As far as I can tell, the adds continue to spawn and roam over the island, so there's seemingly no consistent way to prevent them aggroing.

If you be sure and pull the named when there aren't any adds up, you shouldn't see more than a couple-few during the fight. We kept DPS on the boss and let the tank use discs and handled the extra adds OK.

I might consider switching to an add if we got 2-3 and it didn't look like the boss was going to die fast, but if your DPS is struggling to keep the adds cleared between boss spawns (without burns), you might need to improve DPS first.
  17. Kolani Augur

Part of the challenge is keeping them up, but merc healers seem to stack stun resist on their gear.
  18. Jendan New Member

What is "Qith cleric aura and growth"? I've been trying to just eat the AoE and have found it's very luck based. Sometimes it works (and I've died to other things in third phase like tank dying from bad round or adds) other times the fireball AoE hits at the same time as the boss AoE and everyone dies, this has happened twice overall.
    Whulfgar likes this.
  19. Jendan New Member

Besides the new dirge bards get (and the rune that activates when a member dies which sort of defeats the purpose here), do bards get another rune?
  20. Whulfgar Augur

I can't seem to find what it is, but I may tend to agree with you because at times my fully healthy 100% shammy or another member (even raid geared people) seem to just literally go from 100% health to dead instantly as if a DT or some such but going over logs, and I can't seem to find what it was that did that so I can not come up with a strat to deal with that mechanic outside of just keeping D.I. on everyone recasting instantly when it goes off.