Stop the next TLP server suggestions.

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Chillies, Dec 30, 2018.

1. Chillies New Member

I have played through 4 TLP's now and I am seriously kind of sick of seeing the previous TLP population evacuate to the next one the second it's released, sure the previous one does not die right away, but the population certainly takes a massive hit and slowly dies over the long term.

People need time to experience content past OoW. Majority of our guild has never seen content past PoP due to server hopping to stay with the population that allows them to group up with ease.

Hash repeating servers is growing old and the only people enjoying it are Krono farmers, which is a whole conversation on its own.
    Risiko and Nolrog like this.
  2. Finnster Elder

we will stop once we have a TLP server with FV rule set, open world pvp, a limit to 4 boxes, with TLP starting in Luclin and the server ending in DoN. Oh and we need 2: one with Kronos and one without.

Once this server these two servers are installed, everybody will be happy and no more posts about it will happen.
  3. Chillies New Member

Do you know exactly how an FV server ruleset works? Because what you suggest would actually kill a TLP after Kunark and especially if you want it to begin in Luclin.....

PvP died in EQ years ago with severe character imbalance they could never get on top of, so no, PvP will only happen in the arena.
  4. snailish Augur

Thinking about past progression servers:

-Sleeper/Combine taught us that there is a large interested population (had to spool up a 2nd server) and this point was echoed by the Fippy/Vulak launch

-racing unlocks only kept a niche few interested.

-voting is a fail. Vulak lost massive population when Kunark vote passed earlier than the casual crowd was ready for.

-Ragefire/Lockjaw shows that longer unlocks would get played, but got trumped by Phinny having truebox and load balancing and AoC. Do a Ragefire timeline/XP with those conditions...(truebox or not)...

-slow(er) XP rate is not a sell. People can slow themselves... slow XP just kills the appetite for alting and joining a server later.

-AoC means more raiding guilds active in-era than any server ever. This has also taken Phinny deeper into expacs with population vs. all prior progression.

-Progression gameplay has been extensively refined from what was allowed on Sleeper/Combine. Content remains too easy 40+, but we are down to "do we actually deal with focus effects and the spell revamp, then tune down melee?" as a possibility vs. a no way ever situation. Ignoring that... a few zone revamps need minor loot adjustments to be era-set when they would be really played... ...a few keying situations and epic bottlenecks need some easing... ...and defiant gear needs to be era-set after TSS (if that hasn't been done yet). Compared to the to-do list prior to Combine/Sleeper this is amazing.

Agnarr is possibly showing that not going past LDoN has some audience (still early).

Coirnav has shown that only so many will jump ship early. Phinny is the best bet to get to live with population imo.

The majority of the players that want to play past OoW are already doing so on Phinny. A new variation (or clone) of Phinny isn't going to kill Phinny... it will capture those not playing, losing interest where they are anyways.

Some of us agree that "original start" is getting old. However, a trilogy launch would be new/fresh and play differently through early eras that hold the most nostalgia appeal (appeal that fades out PoP and beyond... despite there being lots of great game left).
    Zaphod and Chillies like this.
  5. Pulvarien Journeyman

Something like 10 to 20 percent are addicted to earning krono for whatever purpose, and the baz puts a serious dent into their Krono earnings. Baz see all items prices is a great equalizer and as soon as it opens that 10 to 20 per want a new server with no baz. When a servers pop drops 10 to 20 per Bang! many lemmings take notice and go oh no the sky is falling and follow suit... And this 10 to 20 per are very vocal on chats selling items and when they poof chats become much quieter giving lemmings even more reason to believe..... That is an unfixable problem for eq I think.
  6. KermittheFroglok Augur

So... I like TLP because they give everyone a fresh slate, that's why "ladders" in other games are popular. I suspect a lot of the TLP population might eventually quit if there wasn't a new TLP on the horizon.

I think it would be cool if DBG made "ladder" servers that unlocked an expansion every 1-2 months and literally reset around POP era.
  7. Finnster Elder

the seriousness of your post makes my fingers twitch to write another response just for you.
  8. Quill Augur

If they're going to do it, don't half- it with FV rules. Have absolutely nothing on the server be No Trade, Heirloom, or Lore. Everything tradeable. Even stuff out of the SC marketplace. It would at least be interesting. Of course, if you transfer off, those tags come back on.

Which is why if you go this route, you speed things up to original progression speeds (unlock with a 30 day minimum). You'd be pushing so much loot into the server that isn't going away, that it would deflate most prices. Either way, the key to having it not kill the server is Expansion Turnover. Always new stuff coming online each month. They can keep that up for over two years. With so many expansions now, this is actually a server type that could feasibly work.

But I do agree it won't work on say a Phinny-clone.

Agreed.
  9. a_librarian Augur

Bazaar from the start would be an interesting experiment.

I think you are mostly right, but I don't think people leave the server because they see the kronolords leaving. Most people leave because they feel like they are too far behind to catch up, they have a hard time finding groups or a guild, or they joined after some expansion eras they wanted to play. I think this group is always the largest part of the newest TLP server, and they move to a new server because it solves all the issues they have with their current server.

I think DBG will make the next TLP have at least Agnarr's exp rate and that alone will capture a huge number of people who burnt out/are burning out now on the Coirnav grind.
  10. oldkracow 9999 Is the Krono Account Limit

You think the bazaar puts a hurt on krono earnings? :rolleyes:
    Then you my friend aren't a trader......

Yes please on that bazaar from day 1 on a new TLP.... :D
    code-zero likes this.
  11. Hadesborne Augur

The bazaar puts the hurt on the krono speculators.
  12. Ltldogg Augur

OP, you don't speak for me. For me, I like new TLPs because:

1. Original EQ is my absolute favorite content.
    2. I love busy zones and seeing a ton of people everywhere.

Additionally, I am a casual player now and have never used KRONO. I can't wait for new TLP servers!
  13. Mashef Augur

The reason people stop playing around OOW is because the game is terrible after that. Even OoW is weak outside of epic 2.0. Yes, this is opinion. Some members of the game still enjoy that content, the vast majority are on live servers. However, you will lose a ton of people after the level 65 expansions and OoW. People don't need time to experience it, they need to want to continue on through that trash. Needs and Wants are very different things.

That being said, yes the suggestions are played out. If DBG cares they should make an official forum post and read suggestions, and create something awesome out of the best suggestions. Unsolicited input didn't work and we got stuck with the dumpster fire that is Coirnav.
  14. Iyvy Augur

Huh? The bazaar makes krono selling easier and opens up a number of avenues to make more money. It bottoms out cheap prices (like bone chips) but doesn't really effect krono prices. Krono prices are based on platinum demands and supplies, not... speculation, whatever that even means
  15. sieger Augur

The Bazaar certainly helps most people's ability to earn platinum/krono, what I think Hades is talking about is how the Bazaar does make "krono arbitrage" more difficult. Without explaining the basic economics, during the first three eras (Classic/Kunark/Velious), people that are good at buying low and selling high in EC tunnel, and who are good at timing when they make those purchases, can make a ton of money just trading krono or platinum for that matter, back and forth. This is because the "spot price" of krono in an informal market environment like that is...fuzzy at best, and varies tremendously between high playtime hours and low playtime hours.

There's actually still ways to arbitrage on the Bazaar too, because people still list things on Bazaar for lower-than-optimal prices and you can profit from that, but there's definitely a type of krono speculating that becomes less viable and less profitable when the Bazaar comes out because it removes a lot of the timing problems and ambiguity problems from the market that are present during the first three eras that only have an "informal" human run market.
    Accipiter likes this.
  16. Kahna Augur

When the "New TLP" ideas stop it will be because people have given up on the game. Their continuation means there are people that still care and still want to play. Since when it that a bad thing? Sure, some... okay most, of the ideas are horrible, but it's the thought that counts.
  17. TLP Addict Augur

I for one enjoy seeing some of the suggestions and well thought out posts regarding future TLP's, not so much yours.

I also enjoy meeting new people, making new friends, doing little things I may have not done on previous playthroughs.

Looking forward to seeing what they have planned for the next server.
    Mashef likes this.
  18. Chillies New Member

I disagree with this assessment based on the fact that almost everyone I speak too in a guild of over 140+ active players state that they don't go past PoP/GoD due to population or their guild dropping off in mass due to a new TLP opening up and the fact that they have never tried content past PoP/GoD.

A small amount of the games population has been playing long enough to go past it.

Fact is, people, want a healthy population with people playing one character each in a 6 person group (dont take this out of context for people who 3-4 box with those out of group and assisting a full party of player characters), not being stuck in a group with someone who is 4 or 5 boxing.
  19. jordune Augur

i just want a server that offers the fv rule set, boxing enabled, instanced raiding and some play on the time lock such as the server opens with classic/kunark for 6 months then drops down into a 4 month auto unlock after that.. no voting. and then just keep it a that for unlock times.
    i dont want it to Stop at some x expansion.. just keep it unlocking every 4 months

i DO understand that some folks want that same thing but in truebox.. and thats fine. i also dont think that there wish is any more important than those of us who want a box server.
    best possible solution would be 2 brand new servers
    1 boxable with the above rule set
    1 truebox with the above rule set

on a server like that i could enjoy till the sun sets on this game that ive been playing way friggen to long lol
  20. Dythan Ban Lev in Plane of Fire guy

I want a TLP where iksars cannot be monks.

Belly Button > Tails