Why doesn't the game just report DPS done on a mob?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Quill, Dec 27, 2018.

1. Quill Augur

Now, i'm not talking about in depth or anything like that...

A_Mob dies! (100 DPS)
    You have gained experience!

Assume two variables. Time of Engage(agro) and Time of Death. If agro clears, so does Time of Engage. Subtract the two as a mob goes to die and convert to Seconds. Then take the health of the mob and divide it by the number of seconds it took from initial agro to death. That is then the number that is reported.

Provide the ability to filter it, so it can be excluded if you want, particularly the ability to restrict it to only reporting the DPS, if experience is gained.
  2. Tatanka Joe Schmo

I, for one, don't want devs spending any time giving us something we already have. GamParse works just fine.
    Hotel likes this.
  3. Hotel New Member

I agree with Tatanka about the Devs not needing to provide this. I also think Parsing DPS while grouping etc, is useless.
  4. Jhenna_BB Proudly Prestigious Pointed Purveyor of Pincusions

uhh GamParse works just fine? A certain mage banging his head on his keyboard atm would beg to differ lol
  5. Tatanka Joe Schmo

I meant in general. And if you think the EQ devs would provide the feature before GamParse is working again, I have a bridge in Brooklyn for you.
    Jhenna_BB and Pirlo like this.
  6. Tatanka Joe Schmo

I never have used it live. I do go back after sessions to look at certain key fights, or to get an overall idea how DPS is going over a whole session.

I also use it A LOT for log searches, and loot synopses.

Also used to use it a lot to look at faction messages. Won't need to do that any more ;)
  7. Quill Augur

Two mistakes here.

The first is in thinking that this would replace Gamparse. It is in no way intended to do so. It would be a simple output of damage done per second on the mob using its hitpoints and fight duration.

The second is in thinking that Gamparse wouldn't take advantage of this feature and integrate the information into its reports. Its added information for the log. Gamparse is essentially a log parser. Do the math.

Basically, the intention being that its a quick glimpse at how much dps you or your group did, particularly at lower levels, without having to break out Gamparse. This would do absolutely nothing for determining your personal DPS, which is Gamparse's wheelhouse, unless you only have one mob. Right tool, right job.
  8. GoneFission Augur

Because that’s always been part of the mystery. After all, this is a game that used to not even tell you where you were at.
    Eryssel likes this.
  9. Tatanka Joe Schmo

Points taken.

Given that, I still have no desire to see a dev spend any time on this at all.
  10. svann Augur

I think it would be enough that all damage is reported to all in the group or raid instead of only to those that are in the proper position.
    Riou, Koryu and Pirlo like this.
  11. segap Augur

Per mob dps is a useless stat. What value would this really add?
  12. Enja New Member

That would destroyed a lot of the "top" parsed people. :)
  13. yepmetoo Abazzagorath

Just what I want, the game that lags all the time over mundane graphical effects and logging already, to lag 10x as hard as it tries to process and parse the log file as it writes it :rolleyes:
    Pirlo likes this.
  14. svann Augur

Did you know you can toggle that off if you want?
  15. yepmetoo Abazzagorath

What relevance does that have to anything I just said?

The same program writing to and parsing the log file would add massive lag, for the same reason the journal log does.

Beyond if being a waste of developer time and resources, its a stupid idea due to how the system logs everything to a flat .txt file.
  16. Nniki Augur

If it were to happen, it would be done on the server, not the client. It wouldn't make sense to have the client parse that information.
  17. segap Augur

I don't think the OP suggested that the game parse the log. I think they were suggesting that the game just track the stat and log the number. It already has the data, parsing a log file would be inane. Regardless, it's still a stupid thing to track that has no real value.
  18. yepmetoo Abazzagorath

That would make even less sense.
  19. Nniki Augur

To someone that thinks the obvious solution is for the client to parse the log file it's writing... yes, I could see that as not making much sense. While parsing the log file is a solution... I'll give you that... it's definitely the worst one possible.

First of all, why would the client parse the file it's writing when it's the one writing all the information to it? That would be no better a solution than GamParse, and it would need updated and maintained just as much. The client receives messages that contain the damage information and formats that information to be viewed by the user. That's what gets logged to the file. If they wanted, the client could keep track of that fight information before formatting it and tally up the results, but you run into another issue: the client doesn't always receive all the information. Each client could (more likely than not) end up calculating a different result, just like our third-party parsers.

The source of truth, and thus the best choice, would be the server. The server is what keeps track of all the damage done to each creature. It could keep track of the total damage and duration of the fight right there. When it comes time to tell each client in range that the creature has died, it could also provide the fight statistics. Keeping track of this information here would not only be the most accurate, but it would also be the most maintainable, less likely to require changes going forward.
  20. Lakeland Lorekeeper

Parsing damage can help, but in Classic EQ (talking at launch) grouping was not important but it was necessary. Once you allow parsing you set up the elites who will kick someone out of a group for not doing what they say you should be doing. It can get bad, again especially in a game where you basically had to group.