New Daybreak Game

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by AlmarsGuides, Dec 12, 2018.

1. AlmarsGuides Augur

https://www.twitch.tv/daybreakgames

https://twitter.com/DaybreakGames/status/1072915689206247424

[IMG]

Now not only will we get drama about the new EQ expansion pack, we'll also get drama about the fact that Daybreak is investing money into anything else but EQ!!! It's a Christmas miracle! I'll need two goblets for all the tears this year!

Best Guess: Mobile Game/Champions of Norrath type game
    Worst Guess: Planetside sequel or they're going down the Everquest Next Next road again.
    Gyurika Godofwar likes this.
  2. Fanra https://everquest.fanra.info

And Daybreak/SOE investing in other games rather than EQ is different from the past 18 years how?

1. Create world-breaking game (EverQuest) that becomes enormously popular.
    2. Spend the money from EQ on a dozen other games instead of improving EQ.
    3. Watch as your other games all fail and EverQuest loses people to other companies newer games because it starts showing its age.
    4. Continue to refuse to upgrade EQ.
    5. Go to 2.
  3. Ceffener Augur

1. Multiple rounds of layoffs
    2. Announce new game
    3. Profit?

My $10 says it’s a mobile game.
  4. Risiko Augur

A lot of good people are unemployed for Christmas to bring us this new game. I can't really be happy about that fact. I kind of hope it is a game that I will hate, so that way I wont feel bad about liking something that led to good innocent people being unemployed for the holidays.
    AcemoneyFV and Pirlo like this.
  5. Cleaver Augur

Rumor is the layoffs were people working on a secret game. Who knows but companies always hire more staff for new projects and when its close to complete they get rid of the extra work force.
    moogs and Garcielle like this.
  6. Ceffener Augur

Don’t most companies just call them contractors? Then they leave at the end of a project and you never did layoffs (no bad PR) and no unemployment payouts.
    Time Burn and Corwyhn Lionheart like this.
  7. Horyuken Augur

Hey they are using a twitch stream! I remember people getting upset they used Facebook for the EQ Expansion preview.

Nice
    moogs and Gyurika Godofwar like this.
  8. FawnTemplar Augur

Someone recently reported that DBG filed a copyright for a "Planetside Arena"

I'm betting that's it.
    snailish and AlmarsGuides like this.
  9. Ceffener Augur

10. Fanra https://everquest.fanra.info

As usual, SOE/Daybreak finds the latest fad game and makes a clone. I guess that they are copying Fortnight.

They haven't figured out that this doesn't work.

"Facebook is huge, I think I'll make Friendface, I'm sure it will make tons of money!"
    Gyurika Godofwar likes this.
  11. AlmarsGuides Augur

[IMG]
    Maedhros likes this.
  12. Febb Augur

Oh wow, you have him for a friend too?
  13. Risiko Augur

I could have sworn that Facebook was the "hey we can do that better" of Myspace. I might be wrong.

For the record, neither Facebook nor Myspace were original by any means. Bulletin Board Systems (BBS) predated them both by many years.
  14. Fanra https://everquest.fanra.info

Yes, you are correct. But in order to take over something that has a huge market, you have to be really better or somehow get lucky, etc.

It is very difficult to convince gamers that your game is really much better. Especially when the market leader (Fortnight) is well aware of this and is working hard to stay on top. Also, just as before, Daybreak seems to be entering a market that either has, or will have, 500 clones.

Just like all the other times they tried to clone the latest fad, there were 500 other companies all doing the same thing.
  15. Fanra https://everquest.fanra.info

Just to expand on this, when EverQuest came out, I was playing Meridian 59. It was only after my friend insisted I try EverQuest, that I realized it was much better.

So unless you are that much better, you won't succeed. Also, that was at the start of the MMORPG phase of fads.

And yes, WoW went on to steal from EQ. But they had something different and targeted a different audience. One that wanted cartoony graphics and simpler gameplay. So, EQ tried to clone that with EQ2.

It's a big subject and I shouldn't have even started. My point was if you have a winner, don't throw it away for something that is the latest fad. If you are going to hop on the bandwagon, you need to really be better. And lucky.
    snailish and Pirlo like this.
  16. AlmarsGuides Augur

So long as they don't try to do EQ Next Next I'm happy. That would be a massive slap to the face in all honesty, especially considering they basically stole our money with the EQ Next/Landmark Explorers, Trail Blazer etc packs.

I'm partly to blame for preordering the game and investing in the 100$ trail blazer pack to get my name in the credits (I will never preorder another game ever again)... But Daybreak did literally just take all of our money and run with it. No refunds when they cancelled the game, not even so much as an apology to the people who paid for it. It was an eye opener for me. First time a game company ever stole my money and so far it's been the last too =P
    Shanarias likes this.
  17. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

I dunno I think Facetablet Or Facephone is more in the now.
  18. Ceffener Augur

EQ1 has already peaked before WoW was released.

EQII was released BEFORE WoW. The direction of EQII core game was not influenced by WoW. WoW did not exist. EQII was a response to EQI having peaked and wanting to fix problems with EQ (Yes there were problems). I don’t think most of us expected EQ to still be here 15 years after EQII launch and possibly have a higher player base.

Problem was WoW had the IP and tore the MMO market apart. Which is surprising that 2 Star Wars mmo’s have never been able to do the same.

But to SoE’s credit EQII was not a WoW clone, they were ahead of the curve on that one. It just got so overrun but WoW’s popularity that people don’t even remember which was first.
  19. Zamiam Augur

all i know is once im done with EQ that will be it for any SoE, DB games I wont be buying another game with those names involved in any way shape of form .. and I'll be researching any new game and if i see anything about dev's not responding to the player base and ignoring them or bad C/S I wont be buying that game either..
    I'm too old to have to mess with stuff like that .. I think once im out of EQ i'll be done with online games
  20. Horyuken Augur

The IP was icing on the cake, Blizzard had a track record of only publishing blockbusters, had the right people, and massive amounts of money.

Had blizzard made a star-wars mmorpg the force would have been strong.
    Pirlo likes this.