I don't want to link a mobile phone number just to purchase an expansion

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by Metanis, Dec 10, 2018.

1. Funnything Journeyman

Generally a change in IP triggers the need to add a phone number (required). Which then is basically them saying you might have sold your account and adding this phone number might result in your account being banned, this phone number being flagged and you having to petition and wait for it to be fixed, or for more of your accounts to be banned via IP linkage because they claim you sold your account because your IP changed, or maybe zip code or even email - and because you petitioned they looked into it instead of their automated ban system.

Seen it happen before, even to people with classic EQ (1999) accounts that shared accounts one time with a friend for using their wizard to port, year later guy gets banned adding 2FA and GM says you sold your account a year ago to this IP that logged on your account once, even though your IP has continued to play the account for the last year after that incident, you still sold it. They then close your new account's petition, or remove your new account from being able to make a new ticket, forcing you to make yet another new account to further debate your case (because banned accounts cant petition) and wait 7 days to hear your counter argument answered.

We can further joke that since DBG was partially owned by a russian company that was/is being investigated for russian collusion with trump, that russian spies now have all your information as well.

edit - also if you do add 2FA, PLEASE wait 24 hours until you add any money to DBG store. It's not an immediate ban system, so if you buy something after adding 2FA, you could still end up getting banned the next morning, and losing your money.
  2. complexication Kassina

There is a lot more to it than just a change in ip address or zipcode. If that were the case I would have been banned several times over because I moved from one zipcode to another in 2014, moved to a different state in 2016, and moved to a different state in 2017.

Not to bat for Daybreak or defend anyone: But I'm pretty sure account sharing has always unofficially been a no no regardless of it's everquest or wow or some other game on the internet.
  3. AcemoneyFV Augur

It's been said before but it's due to fraud prevention.

About 2 weeks ago I went and bought 2 Krono's, it's been years. I was using a new card, new location, etc... and after 24 hours my account was locked for 'Suspicious Activity.'

I added my number and my account was unlocked. After 48 hours, I still didn't receive my Krono's.

I submitted a petition but a refund was already issued because I didn't have the 2-step auth. and the card I was using on my account was new and my old one had hundreds of purchases with it (I've prolly done close to this over the years with the same card.)

They told me in my petition that any sudden changes can trigger this to happen.
  4. Jhaerik Journeyman

I don't even own a mobile phone. Never have, never will.
  5. Metanis Bad Company

Even my BANK allows me to CHOOSE whether to get an e-mail or a text to authenticate my login. But the big brothers at DBG don't believe in customer choice.
  6. So Happy Augur

If DB doesn't have to have a CS phone number then they shouldn't be asking for ours. Not everyone has a cell phone.
    Barton likes this.